The Death of Rap "Music"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really bothers me, and I am probably stating it now for the first time, is the influence which the US spreads upon other less wealthy countries. And also upon countries which are similar in wealth, but that's secondary.
People all around the world tend to adopt McDonalds, jeans, Marlboro, Hip-Hop everything that has the "made in USA" stamp all over it without any thought. Hey, these guys know better... and what happens is that even when the US are abandoning that way, be it burgers or rap, the "infected" populations of other world's regions keep on following the "religion" for a long, long time. In other words: when you are the boss or when you think you are, you must take care of what you're eating, how you dress, what you listen to and where you invest your money. You're infectious, both in the good and in the bad way.

Please,don't export s**t.

Last edited:
I am sorry gentelman but what you are saying is a load of crap. Rap music has it place with any other music weather it be rock in the 60s and 70s (Eric Clapton wrote a song called Cocaine for cryin out load) or it be disco in the 70s, 80s pop, 80s and 90s metal, 90s alternative or 2000 dance pop. It all has it place and to say one type of music influences kids in some way differently than other types is again crap.

You are saying the exact same things my parents were saying about the Beatles, Stones, The Who or Zepplin. I turned out ok and my son who grew up on hiphop turned out ok too (his first two tapes I bought him were RUN DMC Raising Hell and Beastie Boys License to Ill) I know because I remember that day like it was yesterday because I was not happy that is what he picked. He loved Hiphop into his 20s and listens to it today at 30. Again he has job does not murder or sell drugs.

To say that media influences our kids in a negative matter says that you are not doing your jobs as parents communicating with them about real world situations. This is my two cents.

BTW I don't particularly like hiphop but you have to admit some of it is pretty catchy.

I am sorry gentelman but what you are saying is a load of crap. Rap music has it place with any other music weather it be rock in the 60s and 70s (Eric Clapton wrote a song called Cocaine for cryin out load) or it be disco in the 70s, 80s pop, 80s and 90s metal, 90s alternative or 2000 dance pop. It all has it place and to say one type of music influences kids in some way differently than other types is again crap.

You are saying the exact same things my parents were saying about the Beatles, Stones, The Who or Zepplin. I turned out ok and my son who grew up on hiphop turned out ok too (his first two tapes I bought him were RUN DMC Raising Hell and Beastie Boys License to Ill) I know because I remember that day like it was yesterday because I was not happy that is what he picked. He loved Hiphop into his 20s and listens to it today at 30. Again he has job does not murder or sell drugs.

To say that media influences our kids in a negative matter says that you are not doing your jobs as parents communicating with them about real world situations. This is my two cents.

BTW I don't particularly like hiphop but you have to admit some of it is pretty catchy.

Generally how I feel. My HH listening daughter is on the Honor Roll at a well regarded suburban high school and isn't shooting up the place, acting like a hootchie or any other negatives associated, either fairly or unfairly, with rap music. I credit her behavior to the upbringing we provide her, not the music we listen to.

PS: both of your son's choices are rap classics:bowdown:

Correct Craig!
If only those who think they are "in the know", could look at the influence of this crap music from the stand point of: the attitude it tends to cultivate from kids in school, (and its negative effect on grades, behavior, and performance); the perceived affect on neighborhoods and the quality of life created by that local environment on business and family; and the whole game played to slide into the identity assumed by those who act, dress, and degrade themselves, (to the lowest common denominator), to fit the "rap culture". What a loss of mind and ability. What a desperate cry for attention.
What a commentary on the sad alienation that results from it's choice.

What? Some of the brightest students I deal with listen to rap, they also listen to other music. Many of the poor performing students don't listen to rap, so!

Are you stating that rap is responsible for the state of our inner cities? They were such great places before rap! Rap culture, Skater culture (highly misogynistic IME) or Goth culture all have positive and negative aspects, as does the rock and roll culture.

If you're stating that wearing baggie pants and big shirts leads to mental failures than you need to go check out the students at Peninsula High in Rolling Hills, CA where many of the students dress as such but test scores are perennially in the top 10% of the nation.

More stereotyping w/little evidence to back it up.

Actually, it was J.J. Cale who wrote "Cocaine" - Clapton just recorded it.

As for the whole Rap thing, I also think people make broad, sweeping generalizations based out of an unfamiliarity with something they know nothing about. I'm not a big fan of rap music, especially that which is negative of degrades others. I'm not a big fan of country music either, but would never dream of citing it's influence as the driving force behind certain cultural stereotypes either. Both lead to ignorance or worse, racism. You may not like these forms of music, but censorship or banning it is no different than supporting book burning. Fear no Art!

People turn out the way they do because of the values that are reinforced as they are growing up and the choices they make as adults. The fact that the fodder of popular culture is adapted by the masses only means that the laws of standard distribution do in fact apply.

I am not a big fan of RAP or Gangsta RAP . However it has transcended the gap between modern Rock and Country and such. I really think it has lowered the talent of real music when you had a musician and a true vocalist singing in harmony. Real bands have a guitar player a bass player and a drummer . Some even had a lead singer that you could hear fallow the melody. It has evolved from a basement business to a huge multi million $$$ industry. Will it disappear ? NO . Like all music genera's they just loose mainstream and go back to the underground and have a cult following . That being said I hope the Rap industry does not take this as a racial ploy by the big White community and say we are oppressing them and not allowing them to express their musical and creative views. For that matter I will go out on a limb and say most new rock is terrible at best. Lots of Karaoke style singers with no real back up band. Country has a bit of new found fan base with the American Idol infusion of singers. Seems we are desperately in need of a revival of talent and creativity in writing and playing of instruments.

Where did the 70 go ? All them great bands with all that creativity :D

Somehow this thread became twisted out of context. It should only be about opinions of music the art form itself and not about people.

I don't make value judgements of others by what art forms they prefer.

I don't like where this thread is potentially going and I don't want any part of it. I'm done here.

Last edited:
Rap died when those no-talent assclowns like DMX started winning Grammys.

I'd say, mid-late 90s.

In 1961 an artist by the name af Piero Manzoni crapped in 90 small cans. They were subsequently sealed, according to industry standards. These small pieces of art circulated for many years to different museums around the world, and one of them reached Randers Museum of Art in Denmark in 1994 as part of the John Hunov collection.
Unfortunately, the can decided to selfdestruct right there! Experts have tried several times to repair the corroding can, but have not managed to stop the decomposition process. X-ray has revealed what seems to be an even smaller can inside the can.

But what seems the most hillarious part of it all, is the fact that Randers Museum is now confronted with lawyers, claiming the can must have been exposed to direct sunlight.

Attachments

• artshit.jpg
    artshit.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 92
Somehow this thread became twisted out of context. It should only be about opinions of music the art form itself and not about people.

I don't make judge value judgements of others by what art forms they prefer.

Right on. Well said, Craig.

Craig.... somehow this thread became politically incorrect. In a small world, zispurtred sudbi olniabaut art. The problem is that once a year we get an erection, feel proud about it and raise our heads over the fence,questioning the "art" concept. Any problems with that ? Any problems with politically incorrect ?

Sorry Craig, your right, that this may have not gone in the best direction.
I believe "Lugano" is correct though. I've seen for 33 years the changes as we travel through Europe each summer. As far as the music goes; it has not been a welcomed arrival from what the majority of teachers tell me.
My apologies for the bad part that has been exported. I wish there was only the good exchanged. There is no accounting for taste at times, is there? Although I am at a loss to see any positive advantages of this sound, I wonder how many members bought their Martin Logans thinking I only want to play "rap" sounds. I can't see anything good about the other degrading and unlistenable stuff like Goth or any distorted, vociferous, metal rip-off-bands either. That could die out tonight and I would not miss it. Naturally all my opinions have been written from my personal observations, and taste.
By the way, a radio broadcast of a conversation with some early "rappers" explained where they thought it started. They said it was in "Hollis", Queens, (of New York City). They said the sound of the subway cars repeatedly going over the tracks, and giving the same meter, (as they imitated with their hand over their mouth), began the formula. They then added jokes, stories, types of limericks, and other lyrics. Add "scratching", reenforced bass, and then record. I am from "Richmond Hill", Queens and have been on the subway thousands of times. Even as loud as it gets people still fall asleep because of the "sway" of the train.
Perhaps this thread has no conclusion just opinion. Like others, I'm also out.

What are we really talking about here though? I don't consider Fitty and the other "rappers" as the same as Public Enemy/NWA though what they do is similar.

Hip-hop is what's prevalent today and I hate it. I heard some teenager listening to a "song" where the hook was gunshots and ricochets :rolleyes:

Where's Chuck D bitchin' about the Governor of Arizona when we need him! :D

We have a fun article about the subject in issue 12 (out Oct 6) written by a man whos been there since day 1.....

Actually, it was J.J. Cale who wrote "Cocaine" - Clapton just recorded it.

You may not like these forms of music, but censorship or banning it is no different than supporting book burning. Fear no Art!

People turn out the way they do because of the values that are reinforced as they are growing up and the choices they make as adults. The fact that the fodder of popular culture is adapted by the masses only means that the laws of standard distribution do in fact apply.

At least we don't wear togas anymore as our philosophical fore-fathers in Greece and Rome did.

What we really need is a global dictator who will tell us what we can listen to (when, where, how), what we can consume, what we can create, what we can read, what we can think, etc.

Death of Rap means Joseph Schumpeter is alive and well.

Last edited:
At least we don't wear togas anymore as our philosophical fore-fathers in Greece and Rome did.

What we really need is a global dictator who will tell us what we can listen to (when, where, how), what we can consume, what we can create, what we can read, what we can think, etc.

Death of Rap means Joseph Schumpeter is alive and well.

Man - O - Man , you guys are getting way too deep for me..... I'm going to play golf !!!

Please.... let rap die.

Personally, I *REALLY* hate the entire genre. I find the style offensive and lacking in any form of musicality. However, ignoring it's musical content, why do the 'artists' who produce this music insist on glamorising guns, knives, crime, murder etc... Don't they realise that the kids who listen to this s**t can be very easily influenced by it and think it's cool to kill people?

Just check the UK news for the 11-year old boy shot in Liverpool this week if you want to know the effect it's having on our society.

Cheers,

David.

David,

It's not necessarily the music it's the non involvment of the parents in raising children. Weren't kids getting stabbed in the UK before rap started? Just saw the piece on kevlar vests for school kids in the UK last week!:eek:

Cheers

Vern

David,

It's not necessarily the music it's the non involvment of the parents in raising children. Weren't kids getting stabbed in the UK before rap started? Just saw the piece on kevlar vests for school kids in the UK last week!:eek:

Cheers

Vern

No, the world and the UK in particular, was a perfect place before rap (actually Hip-Hop) started and if we could only ban it and burn all the books about it the world would be perfect once again. My final word!

Latest posts

Back