The CBT36 Curvilinear Line Array... huh!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
... but a vertical curve mind you. Quite interesting, and any ad that references some military research, c'mon, that is full-on interest piquing (IMO). We see in the attached that CBT refers to "Constant Beamwidth Transducers"... specifically underwater transducers, though I suppose we can suspend our disbelief for the target application. Anyway... who wouldn't want to demo these Gumbyesque bendy towers? Seems as though Parts Express may want to carefully place ads for ceiling sound reflection mitigation solutions near this ad as well.

If anyone decides to build them (i.e. buy the 36 bass/mid drivers and 144 (!) tweeters speced for the design), please keep us posted!

Attachments

• DonKeele_Placeholder_800px.jpg
    DonKeele_Placeholder_800px.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,551
Maybe the curve is an attempt and generate a very tall line-source (serious vertical dispersion) without the speaker having to be 8 ft tall. I can see where that might be at least part of their motivation.

Since it's designed by the guys at Audio Artistry (who won Stereophile best speaker of the year for their Beethoven model) - maybe they're on to something.

Who knows. I just thought it was interesting enough to post since I've seen a lot of strange speaker designs in the past, but nothing like this.

Cheers

the physical curving is there to affect the phase relationship of the various drivers.

Interesting concept, but a real bear to build and to place.

As a true line-array fan, I tend to prefer an approach that uses alternative drivers, like ribbons or ESL for the transducers.

Dynamic drivers might be cheap, but they have issues.

Personally, the best line array out there today has to be the Wisdom Audio LS4 with its new high-SPL mid-bass ribbons.

BTW- tons of info and discussion of these curved arrays over on this DIY Audio Thread.

Attachments

• princess_mariana1.jpg
    princess_mariana1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,827

Latest posts

Back