Technics digital amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
Has anyone heard the SU-G700M2 amp or any of Technics' recent "pure digital" amps with MLs?
These are not Class D or solid state but apparently a different technology.
And would a 70 watt amp of any description have enough power to drive a pair of Summits?
Here's Steve Guttenberg raving about this amp. I'm thinking of getting one to audition but don't want to fry my lovely MLs.

I haven’t heard this integrated amp but I see this from Crutchfield who sells them. Not sure where you got the info that it’s not a class D or solid state??? It most certainly is both, it’s a class D switching amp. The specs for a 4 ohm load look good doubling from the 70 at 8 ohms to 140 at 4 ohms. So you aren't going to “fry” your Summits by any means. Not sure if that’s a good price compared to other quality digital class D amps or not, maybe others can speak to that.

From Crutchfields site

The SU-G700M2 Grand Class integrated amp has a classic look, with illuminated VU meters front and center. Under the hood, it's a state-of-the-art Class D amplifier with digital and analog inputs, including a versatile dedicated phono input. And its sturdy, high-quality construction is built to last.

Natural detailed sound

Technics makes really nice gear. You'll see their products in recording studios, DJ rigs, and hi-fi stereo setups — where the SU-G700M2 fits right in. Its robust and carefully engineered amplifier circuit uses high-speed switching for super-efficient power delivery to your speakers — 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 140 watts in to 4 ohms.

I haven’t heard this integrated amp but I see this from Crutchfield who sells them. Not sure where you got the info that it’s not a class D or solid state??? It most certainly is both, it’s a class D switching amp. The specs for a 4 ohm load look good doubling from the 70 at 8 ohms to 140 at 4 ohms. So you aren't going to “fry” your Summits by any means. Not sure if that’s a good price compared to other quality digital class D amps or not, maybe others can speak to that.

From Crutchfields site

The SU-G700M2 Grand Class integrated amp has a classic look, with illuminated VU meters front and center. Under the hood, it's a state-of-the-art Class D amplifier with digital and analog inputs, including a versatile dedicated phono input. And its sturdy, high-quality construction is built to last.

Natural detailed sound

Technics makes really nice gear. You'll see their products in recording studios, DJ rigs, and hi-fi stereo setups — where the SU-G700M2 fits right in. Its robust and carefully engineered amplifier circuit uses high-speed switching for super-efficient power delivery to your speakers — 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 140 watts in to 4 ohms.
Thanks DanR. Regarding the "pure digital" claim, Steve Guttenberg talks about it in his YouTube review, which I linked. And the claim that the new Technics amp range isn't Class D is widely circulated on the internet, but I don't understand the technical stuff. This quote from Home Theatre HiFi: "Technics claims a fully digital amplifier design, not Class D." I'll be auditioning the Technics amp and reviewing it for my hi-fi oriented site Witchdoctor NZ, so I'll report back as to how it works out with my Summits.

Back