Replacing amp with SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freejon

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my SL3s for about 10 years now, so not from new. I love the sound, but have never been quite happy with the bass.

I believe that this is because of slight inadequacy in my Radford STA50 valve amp. Lovely device, but I think under-powered for resolving low end. I have considered whether an AR (e.g VS115) replacement might solve the problem, but don't think I can go there, mainly for cost reasons and also because I don't feel I want to spend any more of my life dealing with tube replacements.

That means looking at a solid state amp. I have read as much recommended amp info on this forum (one link from the sticky goes 404) as I can. I get the instruction for something which handles multiple impedances well and has high current. I don't feel that I know enough yet. I am reliant on used equipment so limited possibilities for auditioning options. Budget is limited (up to perhaps $1000 / £800). I do like tube sound, so would like something that would not be too clinical.

I am open to integrated or power amps - looking mainly at the latter. That way I leave the option of changing the pre-amp, where a tube replacement for my existing TAG MacLaren might be an option for keeping the liquidity of the sound. So I am interested to know what others might consider suitable for this task. Under consideration, Quad 909 or QSP, Audiolab 8200M, Older Krell (e.g. 300) if I can find anything within budget.

I am in the UK, so not all of the US brands are readily available. Any easy ways of seeing which are high current designs (as I believe the Quad amps are)?

Thanks for reading. All help much appreciated.

Jon

You could passively bi-amp your SL3's.

Thanks,Tosh, but I am not sure what you mean by this. I assume this is different than bi-wire, so requires a second amplifier. I don't understand how I balance the feeds.

If it requires getting a second identical Radford, that would be impossible and too costly. If you are suggesting two smaller amps then I would still be interested in which are seen as suitable models.

Can you explain more please?

Otherwise I think I would rather try a single amp that does the job better.

Jon

Last edited:
Hi

Not sure of the answer but was seriously unimpressed with the 909s. Currently I'm using a MF M6 integrated with SL3s and it drives them well. As a general observation MF gear is quite a good bang for the buck, so may be worth a dabble. You'll always get your money back.

Edit to add. I've degraded my interconnect cable to lose some of the bass warmth. The woofers are the ML recommended Scanspeak replacements, incidentally.

Latest posts

Back