System Review

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
Now that everything is installed I thought I’d share my thoughts. But before I do I suppose I should describe my system. It is comprised of ML Ascent I, Theater I, Fresco, Descent; McIntosh MX119 & MC207; Denon 3910; Pioneer DVL-919 (not yet arrived); Comcast HD/DVR Receiver; Audioquest Circular Array CV-8 speaker cables & King Cobra interconnects; Panamax Max 1500; and Samsung HL-R6768W 67” DLP HDTV.

I have now listened to the system with a variety of music, DVD movies, and broadcast HDTV. In a word, WOW! The system is phenomenal and as Robin said in one of her reviews on her Anthem, Master and Commander sounded as if the battle were taking place in my living room. There were things taking place that I previously didn’t even realize were on the sound track. Another fun one was the remake of gone in 60 seconds where it sounded as if they were parking the cars in my garage. I can’t imagine home theater getting better than this.

As for music, it’s been a tale of wow and yuck! The yuck’s are not because my system is lacking (at least I don’t believe that’s the case) but because it is reveals too much. Poor recordings have nowhere to hide and flaws become painfully obvious. However, it’s not always a poor recording that causes problems it can also be an excellent recording that reveals too much detail. An example, at least to me, is an Oscar Peterson SACD that he recorded in his home in front of about 20 of his friends. The music is great but you hear faint voices and an occasional cough in the background. I found this very distracting and an idea that good on paper but the execution I found to be annoying. The wows are just that, wow. The Buddy Guy SACD that I have is excellent as is many other CDs ranging from Peter Gabriel to Miles Davis to Enigma to well the list goes on and on.

Well that concludes my review and I realize that it isn’t loaded with all the normal stereo review hyperbole but, frankly, I don’t have the vocabulary. If anyone is interested in specifics I will try my best to answer to the extent of my limited knowledge/vocabulary.

Dennis,

I think you did just fine in your review. I for one, got the distinct impression that you are happy with your system and that is all that really matters.

:cool:

MarkNewbie said:
Dennis,

I think you did just fine in your review. I for one, got the distinct impression that you are happy with your system and that is all that really matters.

:cool:

Yes, I am very happy. Since getting everything connected I haven't wanted to go to bed – although I'm sure my neighbors did! As for the review, I wished I could have written a more technical review. Some of the reviews I’ve read could have graced any stereo mag. Other than I like it I doubt I gave anyone any useful information. ;) Oh well I'm sure the lingo will eventually come. :D

Marvelous review...

Dennis,

As you discribed your system and how various DVD's and CD's sounded it was really great... :D I knew exactly what you were talking about, regarding, "Master and Commander", you can hear the men running along the deck, as the battle rages. It's excellent!!! Your system must give a WOW experiance... :D

I am envious about your 'King Cobra' interconnects... I have wanted them for so long..., I am happy for you though. Excellent review and great system... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Dennis,

As you discribed your system and how various DVD's and CD's sounded it was really great... :D I knew exactly what you were talking about, regarding, "Master and Commander", you can hear the men running along the deck, as the battle rages. It's excellent!!! Your system must give a WOW experiance... :D

I am envious about your 'King Cobra' interconnects... I have wanted them for so long..., I am happy for you though. Excellent review and great system... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Well thank you Robin for the kind words. I feel like a new father gushing over his new child. :D As for Master and Commander, you're so right. As Aubry is drilling the gun crew below decks you hear the folks topside and everything sounds so real and not forced or contrivied. They did such a wonderful job with the sound editing on this movie.

Your awesome system...

taylode said:
Now that everything is installed I thought I’d share my thoughts. But before I do I suppose I should describe my system. It is comprised of ML Ascent I, Theater I, Fresco, Descent; McIntosh MX119 & MC207; Denon 3910; Pioneer DVL-919 (not yet arrived); Comcast HD/DVR Receiver; Audioquest Circular Array CV-8 speaker cables & King Cobra interconnects; Panamax Max 1500; and Samsung HL-R6768W 67” DLP HDTV.
Dennis,

I almost forgot to add / recommend something to you... IMHO, I think you should post your system, in the 'Member System', section of the ML Club...
I think your system would be an excellent addition to our site and look totally awesome too... :D

Cheers

-Robin

taylode said:

I have now listened to the system with a variety of music, DVD movies, and broadcast HDTV. In a word, WOW! The system is phenomenal and as Robin said in one of her reviews on her Anthem, Master and Commander sounded as if the battle were taking place in my living room. There were things taking place that I previously didn’t even realize were on the sound track. Another fun one was the remake of gone in 60 seconds where it sounded as if they were parking the cars in my garage. I can’t imagine home theater getting better than this.

As for music, it’s been a tale of wow and yuck! The yuck’s are not because my system is lacking (at least I don’t believe that’s the case) but because it is reveals too much. Poor recordings have nowhere to hide and flaws become painfully obvious. However, it’s not always a poor recording that causes problems it can also be an excellent recording that reveals too much detail. An example, at least to me, is an Oscar Peterson SACD that he recorded in his home in front of about 20 of his friends. The music is great but you hear faint voices and an occasional cough in the background. I found this very distracting and an idea that good on paper but the execution I found to be annoying. The wows are just that, wow. The Buddy Guy SACD that I have is excellent as is many other CDs ranging from Peter Gabriel to Miles Davis to Enigma to well the list goes on and on.

Well that concludes my review and I realize that it isn’t loaded with all the normal stereo review hyperbole but, frankly, I don’t have the vocabulary. If anyone is interested in specifics I will try my best to answer to the extent of my limited knowledge/vocabulary.

Taylode,

how does the Mcintosh 207 sound? Did you consider other mulitchannel amps? The 207 has caught my attention and would love to hear what you have to say. Great set up by the way

gstring said:
Taylode,

Well I don't have a lot to compare it to; however, it powers my ML’s effortlessly – even when pushed to obscene sound levels. Normally I never push it beyond 20 watts, which is already quite loud; however, on Master & Commander the center channel was hitting 200 watts, that is just before the house slid off it’s foundation (just kidding) :D. Even then the amp never sounded pushed nor did the anti-clipping circuitry kick in.

Musically, I’ve found that it depends a lot on the recording. So far everything acoustical sounds fantastic while some of the hard rock lacks the bottom end punch. Currently, my Descent is only working with DVDs so I need to connect it so it’s operational with all music. Also, some music leans to the bright side, which I plan to correct with the addition of a Nottingham turntable followed by a tube SACD player – probably a Shanling – if I can ever find someone that carries them. The brightness I attribute to the Denon rather than the amp. Most of my Jazz sounds fantastic revealing every breath the musician takes. Sometimes it’s almost eerie.

For DVD’s, both movie and music, I’ve not detected any flaws. The sub blends perfectly with the Ascents and really provides a rich sound. When DVD's are the source everything sounds rich, full, and the amp never seems stressed.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back