System #411 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have posted some new pictures and new components description to the first post of this thread, since some new cables (Audio Fusion Enchanter) and many GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps arrived recently.

I'm still away from my own dedicated listening room, there is no possibility to really rearrange my temporary living room for a better placement of the system and the acoustic panels, but the guys at GIK were very helpful, I have ordered the panels anyway and I was not willing to keep them in their transport boxes until I would move back to the place where I have my real listening room.

Even without the optimum positioning, the overall focus, bass-response and imaging is way better than before.

Thanks RAH :bowdown:

PS: I forgot to mention to my system upgrade the recent introduction of a Music Timbre RCA interconnect cable. A small American manufacturer's astonishingly good cable...

Last edited:
Although very satisfied with my Chinese Dussun (in close relation with Red Rose Music - Mark Levinson's Affirmation integrated amp) I always have in mind to look for something even more serious gear. I had the chance to audition a Halcro DM68 amp with a pair of Montis (and Ayre preamp + Linn Akurate DS) at my dealer's showroom. Gee, that was incredible! Sadly, this amp is far from my budget...

I have added a picture to my first post of this thread showing my new passive component: an outrigger-looking speaker-base.

This is a 1,9 inch-thick sandwich structure, composed of quartz sand clamped between two 0,43 inch-thick steel plates on top and bottom. Each speaker-base is about 45 pounds. All feets are height adjustable, which makes the tilting of the Summits very easy. I've read in older threads of this forum that compared to the adjustable ETC spikes of the Summit-X, the easiest and cheapest way to get the almost vertical rake of the stators would be to use longer spikes than the originals for the back side of speakers, a forum member has manufactured a few sets of those spikes for the Summit owners, but that was back in 2007, impossible for me to buy some of them, so I've started to search for something similar, but because of the very unusual threading (¾ – 16), specially in Europe, it was quite difficult to find someone willing to manufacture only 4 threaded spikes for me. Now with this base, no need to change the original spikes of my Summits.

The clarity and bass control is even better than before, the sound is more crisp, but I had to readjust the 25Hz and 50Hz level controls because I felt that bass became a bit thinner compared to what I was used to. I also felt that slightly enlarging the distance between the speakers was also beneficial to the impression of soundstage.

I have added a picture to my first post of this thread showing my new passive component: an outrigger-looking speaker-base.

This is a 1,9 inch-thick sandwich structure, composed of quartz sand clamped between two 0,43 inch-thick steel plates on top and bottom. Each speaker-base is about 45 pounds. All feets are height adjustable, which makes the tilting of the Summits very easy. I've read in older threads of this forum that compared to the adjustable ETC spikes of the Summit-X, the easiest and cheapest way to get the almost vertical rake of the stators would be to use longer spikes than the originals for the back side of speakers, a forum member has manufactured a few sets of those spikes for the Summit owners, but that was back in 2007, impossible for me to buy some of them, so I've started to search for something similar, but because of the very unusual threading (¾ – 16), specially in Europe, it was quite difficult to find someone willing to manufacture only 4 threaded spikes for me. Now with this base, no need to change the original spikes of my Summits.

The clarity and bass control is even better than before, the sound is more crisp, but I had to readjust the 25Hz and 50Hz level controls because I felt that bass became a bit thinner compared to what I was used to. I also felt that slightly enlarging the distance between the speakers was also beneficial to the impression of soundstage.

Looks interesting.

In my quest for an even better amplification of my Summits, a Linn Akurate Kontrol preamp and Mark Levinson No 432 dualmono poweramp are my newest guests for a try. Gee, they are very promising. Still need to talk to my banker though....

Attachments

• Linn Akurate Kontrol Mark Levinson No 432.jpg
    Linn Akurate Kontrol Mark Levinson No 432.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 281
Domonkos, what a beautiful setup you have their! It must sound as wonderful as it looks.

Thanks to you all for your welcome!!

Now that I have the Summits, time might come to look for some amp upgrade. I had some Thiel CS2.3's before the Summits, my amp was crazy good driving them. Despite the huge price difference, I'm positive that the Dussun is very good at driving the Summits, technically and sonically too, but ohh, audiophilia will surely take me to try to experiment new gears :)

After some surfing in this Forum, which is a non-representative survey, I saw many Pass Labs powering the newest hybrid Reserve ESL line of speakers.

Since this is really the major topic on each forum ("find the right amp") and we all know that there is no magic answer, I will keep on trying to collect as many amps as possible to my system, to hear the sonic effect :)

I use a pair of PASS Class A mono blocks and all I can say is the match with my Summits is a pair made from heaven, you can't get any better. :music:

I meant to ask - how do you stop the Summits from sliding off the outrigger racks?

Well, the tilting of the outrigger racks is very small, the back side's level is mainly raised by changing the position of the nuts on the threaded rod, as you may see it on the picture, and some fine levelling by turning the metal feet. The different heights of the original spikes are also used to get the almost vertical rake of the stators. In addition, the spike shoes have adhesive on the bottom.

Therefore I never thought about the risk of sliding...:confused:

I just went to check it, I was holding the woofer cabinet in my hands, tried to move a little bit the Summits, well, they seemed to be perfectly stable ;)

I use a pair of PASS Class A mono blocks and all I can say is the match with my Summits is a pair made from heaven, you can't get any better. :music:

Ohh, I can imagine :) Your system is one of the most impressive I saw on this forum and many members are warmly recommending Nelson Pass's amplification.

But even second hand, the Pass Labs are absolutely out of my budget...well, for the moment ;)

Welcome to Martin Logan Owners.

The Summits look stunning, not to mention the rest of the audio equipment.

In addition, the interior decor looks impressive and blends harmoniously with

the Martin Logans. Happy Listening my friend!

Ahh - well that explains it then. Thanks.

They look nice by the way.

Well, they were originally not made for the Summits, those racks were made to support mono blocks, but I also think they look cool and are for sure enhancing the sound of my system. Thanx ;)

Welcome to Martin Logan Owners.

The Summits look stunning, not to mention the rest of the audio equipment.

In addition, the interior decor looks impressive and blends harmoniously with

the Martin Logans. Happy Listening my friend!

Thank you very much, RAH! I enjoy them almost every day ;) The music is very often giving me an interior peace when my head is full of worries. With the help of the Summits, this relaxation is even more effective.

Domonkos

What wonderful setup. As RAH said above blends harmoniosly with your decor. Martin Logan speakers standout in a very good way in home interiors more than most speakers.

Enjoy getting lost in the music.

Brad

Back