System #31 (Quest Z, Theatre, Aerius i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revised room layout in the back.
I put the Aerius i's to the back corners raised up with matching shelves to the bookcase (I know cheap Ikea stuff but it works and we've had it for a long time) Cleared up the floor space around the rear and actually gave a nice needed boost to the rear channels because of the corner placement.

Attachments

• REAR.JPG
    REAR.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 599
Eric,

There is something about your media room that I really really am drawn to. It is so perfectly setup and clean. The proportions are all correct it seems...

Now is the time to just sit back and really immerse yourself in all those 5.1 DTS and SACD recordings. Enjoy! :p

(Don't forget to audition the Servo 15 Mk II. It's quite an improvement over its predecessor)

Thank you Barbados :)

You're equipment list is something I hope to own someday :D

I've been very happy with the way the system sounds especially since the new Ascent i's but of course in our never ending quest for perfection, I'm looking for more.

Something even more than a new Servo 15 MkII. I am very impressed with the new Velodyne DD-15 and their parametric eq/rta. I may go that route OR take the plunge and go InfinateBaffle with the stand alone Velodyne SMS-1 eq/rta....???? :confused:

The Servo 15 Mk II with it's 4200 watt RMS amp and all new driver design is superior in output to the DD 15. The EQ flexibility is not there with the Paradigm but the price more than makes up for it. With the servo subs I find very little to be gained from infinite baffle designs because the sound is already quite natural and we are talking very low frequencies here. I only find dipole woofers to be appealing in a midbass application.

Also, I have an SVS PB12/Ultra lying around that IMO is better in all around real world performance than both of the above. The price is also fantastic. They are an internet sales only company. I highly recommend them if you're in the market for a new sub.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_boxes.htm

The only plus with Paradigm is that the factory is within the city from me and thus very good deals can be made for the unit.

I have read countless posts about the SVS subs and one person locally has 3 of them in his dedicated theatre. The only problem is shipping them across the border + taxes and duties.

Eric,

What a beautifully set-up HT. I like the raised rear seating. Also, how you have your equipment (Amps and processors) present (under the center channel), yet easy to acess to adjust, work on, or to show folks. I was interested in your choice of the Sharp XVZ9000 DLP Projector. Do you find the projector with pull down screen to be clearer and sharper than, say a Plasma monitor? Your HT looks big, so do you need a larger viewing screen? How large is the screen? Your amplifiers - BAT VK-3i Pre Amp, Classe CA 300 and 2x HK Citation 5.1 (100 x4 Power Amp) are impressive. I have never auditioned the Classe CA 300. I have only seen it on-line. I can only imagined of what it must sound like... How does it compare with Sunfire or B & K?

Unfortunately, I think a new Classe is way out of my price range.
I was wondering if you could share you thoughts about the, "Sunfire Cinema Singnature Grand 400~Seven"? And, the, "Sunfire Tubed Controler Pre Amp"?
Are you satisfied with your system, or are you concidering any up-grades in the future?

-Robin

Thanks for the nice words Robin.

The reason I went for a DLP front projector was for overall size and image quality (CRT's still have better blacks) My screen is over 100" diag. and images in HDTV and well mastered DVD's look amazing for even one screen width away from the front wall. Roughly the screen is 8' wide with the Ascents flanking the screen and then another 3' to the side walls. The ease of a DLP projector setup is another plus. Mount projector, square image with wall, resize, focus... I have a friend who sets up his projector on the coffee table and when not in use puts it away. 5 min. setup job.

I have read good things about the sunfire products but I have not owned them myself. B&K is built to similar standards as my old Acurus amps (lower end of Aragon line). Very good dynamics and impact for HT but with a grain and roughness to the sound especially in the mids and highs...IMHO.

I am very satisfied with the system but as with anyone I dream of upgrades.
Next on the list is a Velodyne SMS-1 sub eq/controller/rta.
Then maybe a change from the Paradignm Servo 15 to dual SVS CS-Ultra subs.... :D

Eric,

Dual SVS CS-Ultra subs, with the, Vedodyne SMS-1 sub eq/controller/rta, WOW!!! That sounds totally great. I have been reading the info. you have been relating to us, in other treads, regarding the, Vedodyne SMS-1 eq/controller/rta... It sounds like, I could possibly use it for my Descent? My Pioneer VSX-59TXi A/V Receiver has an auto adjust pressure/level/eq (with micophone), that can adjust all my speakers including my subwoofer. I imagine, the SMS-1 is probably way better. I wonder if, I could use the SMS-1, inaddition to, instead of, or inconjunction with, my A/V receivers (pressure/level/eq) device? What do you think?

-Robin

SMS-1 is a subwoofer equalization system - from 199Hz on down. For a full range system, you will need something like the TACT.

For you, the SMS-1 would go between your AV Recevier LFE output and your Sub.

Hi Robin,
DTB300 is correct. I'm sure the SMS-1 would be a great addition to your Pioneer receiver with EQ as the SMS-1 specifically addresses bass frequencies. It has been discussed that existing setups with processors that have built in EQ's continue to use their EQ for the mid to high frequencies and add the SMS-1 for the final layer of sub EQ'ing. I am not a fan of so much EQ processing as it could correct mike measurement points but it could also negatively affect other areas of the room.
The quick and easy (almost lazy...) setup options of the Velodyne SMS-1 should allow you to take multiple points of measurement within the room and average the response throughout. Sub placement first then sub EQ.

Dan and Eric,

Thank you both for the excellent inforamtion. I appreicate your informed, knowledgable advice, it has helped me realize that the, SMS-1, will be a valuable component for my system.
Thanks again...

-Robin

Robin said:
Thank you both for the excellent inforamtion. I appreicate your informed, knowledgable advice, it has helped me realize that the, SMS-1, will be a valuable component for my system.

I am very anxious for it to come out as it will be one of the last pieces that I was looking to add to my setup. Well...hopefully the last... Ha Ha Ha....

So far, the last I heard on SMS-1 release was Sept./Oct time frame, but this can change.

With SMS-1 on the horizon, I have been trying very hard not to purchasing anything else in the meantime.

I will be selling a couple of my current pieces of equipment (I just picked up a SACD player, so the other Universal must go, and I will be selling my Xover as the SMS-1 will replace it) This will make it so I have the $$$$ for the SMS-1, and the approval of the wife :D

Dan

Is it worth upgrading DVD players?

Hello everyone. I was thinking about upgrading my DVD player from a $60 Hitachi to a Denon 2910. However, Do you think such an investment is worth while? Are the new HD-DVD players comming? I am really confused about what would be best to do?

Help

Alzee said:
Hello everyone. I was thinking about upgrading my DVD player

Source upgrades are usually a great place for sound improvements. But with new formats around the corner some are waiting for the new players to come out that support it.

Dan

Your room is like the warner village cinema in Turin!!!!Great!!!
Best regards Roby!

Great idea with the Aerius rears raised to ear level. Also nice to met another 2 channel lover but with the added enjoyment of the 5.1. Do you ever test out the Odyssey or the new Summit for added bass?

Been away from the forums for a while but now I have some updates to post.

Fronts are now Ascent i's
Front 2 channel amp is a Anthem P2
Pre/Processor is a Anthem D2V
JVC RS-1 projector
Oppo BDP-83SE blu-ray player
Hanspree Netbook running Foobar2K for FLAC files bitstreamed to the D2V

Custom built subs: dual Mach 5 15" drivers in sealed enclosures with a Beringer EP2500 as the sub amp.

Pics to follow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back