System #239 (Ascent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolen1aub

Reaction score
Member name: Joel
ML Models: Ascent, Depth
Year purchased: 2003
Mods/Changes: Soundocity outriggers 1.5 st gold

Associated Electronics:
Sonic Frontiers Line2 SE
Mcintosh MC402
Mcintosh MCD 205
Linn Lp-12/Pickering XSV3000
Dual 604/ Grado Prestige gold
AES PH-1
Musical fidelity A324
VH-Audio Flavor 1 & 4 power cables
Audioquest speaker cables
Chang LightSpeed CLS 6600

Auditioned the SL3s in the mid 90's at a local store in SJ.. got hooked ever since...it was like listening to giant headphones only much better.. In 2003 was very lucky to own my 1st & only stats ...the Ascents as a b-day present....have not looked back at box speakers since.

Attachments

• CIMG0056.JPG
    CIMG0056.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 585
Welcome Joel, nice to have another analog guy in the fold, not to mention a "two fer" !!

Joel, you have a very nice arrangement. I like how you did the acoustic treatments on the walls. Do you have a throw rug in front of the listening area? Looks like you do, I have one which helps out with the floor reflection. Again nice, clean and well thought out system.

Welcome Joel. As Dave says, "nice to have another analog guy in the fold". May I ask why you have two turntables?

Very nice, clean setup. Do you have enough room above your tube electronics for them to "breathe"?

My Timeless passion

:bowdown:Thank you guys for the warm welcome! Glad that you like my arragement.
I designed the woodframe and table setup. Modified an existing S30 to S20 Salamander to pair up with another existing S20.

Rampage - yes, I do have a throw-rug in front of the listening area.
It does help quite a bit with minimizing refelection.

Bernard- 2 turntables for different flavors of Music. The 604/grado combo
IMO is a tad warm and best when playing rock (Dire straits, jack
johnson, Steely Dan..etc) music.
While the LP12/Pickering is more lively in detail for Jazz (Spyro
Gyra, Earl Klugh, Stanley Jordan..etc)
Vinyl- continiues to rock! IMHO.:music:

I'm still in the mids of upgrading my ICs...any ideas from inmates are greatly appreciated (w/out breaking the bank). I'm also good at DIY stuff...so take it from there. This forum is just plain wonderful...

Vinyl- continiues to rock! IMHO.:music:

I'm still in the mids of upgrading my ICs...any ideas from inmates are greatly appreciated (w/out breaking the bank). I'm also good at DIY stuff...so take it from there.

Joel, I have just recently made changes to my analog I/C's from TT-phonopre-preamp. Since you have no problem with DIY, if you haven't tried it already I'd suggest you give it a shot.

Good quality RCA's of your choice and for wire.....20-24 quage magnet/alternator wire, shielding is accomplished by running a third wire, being left 'open' at one end, everything covered by synthetic 'flex sheath' material.

Inexspensive but sounds wonderfull .

Dave,

You have one killer system there.......Very nice!:cool:

I check-out the DIY cables you mentioned. I was considering the VH-audio
but was hoping to have other options that inmates already have good
results.

Would you happen to know their website?
Thanks in advance.:bowdown:

Joel

Outriggers

Welcome aboard Joel,

Love the outriggers. Just went to their web -site to find out about ordering a set. That is one thing I'm finding out about this site...........it is costing me $. Oh Well.

Doug - out

Love the outriggers. Just went to their web -site to find out about ordering a set.

Doug,

The outriggers were well worth for me.. leveling and tilting is now a breeze. Especially when you tweak and move
them ML quite often like me :D

Last edited:
Price

I just received the info back for the outriggers today. It looks like a set of those for a pair of ascents will run around $250.00. Not a horrible price considering the flexibility they offer in terms of adjustment. I also believe they will lower my speakers by an inch or better which will also be nice in my set-up. Again, this is what I love about this site. You can get a lot of great ideas in terms of set-up, equipment, synergy, media, the works.
Joel,
Your avatar is the reel to reel, but I didn't notice it in your system pic. Do you have one? Just wondering. I have a Revox A77 two track and a Tascam 38 8 track for recording.
Another question Joel. Am I correct in saying that the Ascents are lowered by using these outriggers? It would seem to make sense, and appears to be the case in your pic.

Last edited:
I just received the info back for the outriggers today. It looks like a set of those for a pair of ascents will run around $250.00. Not a horrible price considering the flexibility they offer in terms of adjustment. I also believe they will lower my speakers by an inch or better which will also be nice in my set-up. Again, this is what I love about this site. You can get a lot of great ideas in terms of set-up, equipment, synergy, media, the works.
Joel,
Your avatar is the reel to reel, but I didn't notice it in your system pic. Do you have one? Just wondering. I have a Revox A77 two track and a Tascam 38 8 track for recording.
Another question Joel. Am I correct in saying that the Ascents are lowered by using these outriggers? It would seem to make sense, and appears to be the case in your pic.

Hi Doug,

I've had my RT-909 for over 7 years. I repaired and refurbished it during the 1st yr. I had it. Just out-grew it and sold it 2 yrs ago. My avatar serves as a mere reminder of good memories.

In my case the outrigger 1.5 raised my Ascents. I cannot be accurate but from my recollection (I don't have the original ML spikes in front of me) by approx. 1/4" or so. I like them very much due to the flexibility and ease it offers during alignment. (as you mentioned)
With the factory spike there were times I had to kneel and hug the floor just to reach and adjust. That's now history.

Anyway good luck with your decision and happy listening. :music:

Joel

Back