System #238 (Renaissance ESL 15A, Focus ESL C18, Script I, Motion 35XT, Motion 4i)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Just added a new set of seats. Got tired of sitting on the hump in the middle of my old loveseat to listen to albums so I'd be in the sweat spot. LOL Added a single row of 3 - Seatcraft Diamanté's with power recline and headrest. Did not purchase the Powershaker amplifier just yet but the shakers are in the seats. For now the SVS shakes the seats just enough for my wife and I. LOL
Jason, your room (and especially, your wiring) just amazes me! Sure wish you were in the neighborhood, as I'd love to drop by for well... I guess a few days! :ROFLMAO: Also, glad to hear that I am not the only one that has to sit on the 'loveseat hump'! We've currently got two choices... either the loveseat with the hump, or... two recliners with a narrow table in between them (we alternate them about twice a year). Neither are very comfortable for my solo two channel listening...

Please keep posting your photos as you are giving me more ideas to support our economy! I suppose I could share a photo of my behind the scenes wiring, but I don't know if it is that interesting. I do think it's likely that I will be updating my photos relatively soon though... new gear alert!!! 🙄

JLasher22443

Reaction score
Jason, your room (and especially, your wiring) just amazes me! Sure wish you were in the neighborhood, as I'd love to drop by for well... I guess a few days! :ROFLMAO: Also, glad to hear that I am not the only one that has to sit on the 'loveseat hump'! We've currently got two choices... either the loveseat with the hump, or... two recliners with a narrow table in between them (we alternate them about twice a year). Neither are very comfortable for my solo two channel listening...

Please keep posting your photos as you are giving me more ideas to support our economy! I suppose I could share a photo of my behind the scenes wiring, but I don't know if it is that interesting. I do think it's likely that I will be updating my photos relatively soon though... new gear alert!!! 🙄
LOL at the hump. Thanks for the compliments. Well if you are ever in the neighborhood you are more than welcome to stop by for a listen. I'll be keeping my eyes on your setup for the update. Love new Gear! LOL

JLasher22443

Reaction score
Little Update in the room. Awhile back I worked with GIK Acoustics to add more room treatments for first reflection and rear diffusion and forgot to post updated photos. Now I need to set aside some time to redo ARC.

IMG_5500 2.JPG

IMG_5501 2.JPG

IMG_5502 2.JPG

IMG_5503 2.JPG

JLasher22443

Reaction score
Nice, good to see additional treatments.

What are the units just behind the front speakers?
Those are the GIK Acoustic Evolution PolyFusor – Sound Diffuser / Absorber Combination. John from GIK Recommended that for directly behind the speakers. Those have been in for awhile but hard to see in photos.

I just finished the ceiling and the two bass traps on the beam this weekend. When I tested it with a buddy of mine we both can tell a major difference. Just walking and talking in between the speakers and couch sounds different. The biggest thing when listening to music now is the bass is just there and then its gone. Before it would rattle the roof and windows on some really deep bass movie scenes. And now the music is almost surrounding me with some songs and in surround I can hear things clearer beside me and behind me. Not sure how adding those did that but its crazy to me. LOL

So normally we test with Radiohead - The National Anthem as are first song whenever I make a change in the room. I'll go in and test first with him outside of the room. Then he tries it out. When that song starts at about 10 seconds in I literally looked up and around like wow I'm surrounded. When my buddy got in I stayed to watch his reaction and he did the same. I started laughing and was like I did the same thing.

I've reached out to GIK again for more advice on where else I can add more panels just to see how much it improves the sound quality of the room.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those are the GIK Acoustic Evolution PolyFusor – Sound Diffuser / Absorber Combination.
The absorption component should help mitigate dipole cancellation in the lower frequencies of the panel, but the diffusion, while, not totally reflecting back through the panel, is not dampened, so it's back in the room as delayed and dispersed sounds coming from surfaces well away from the panel. That will decrease localization (sometimes a good thing in 2Ch) and have plenty of comb-filtering effects.

For a multichannel setup, I've found that broadband absorption (even across the freq. range of the panel) significantly increases soundstage resolution on multichannel and immersive audio.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just finished the ceiling and the two bass traps on the beam this weekend. When I tested it with a buddy of mine we both can tell a major difference.
Nice, the vertical room modes can play a significant role in room resonances. If you have any REW measurements, the waterfall plots reveal the dramatic changes that you describe.

A well-tamed room will have all energy down to 20Hz decay in under 300ms, the quicker, the better.

And there is probably more that can be done, it's amazing how much treatment a room needs to reach its full potential.

JLasher22443

Reaction score
Nice, the vertical room modes can play a significant role in room resonances. If you have any REW measurements, the waterfall plots reveal the dramatic changes that you describe.

A well-tamed room will have all energy down to 20Hz decay in under 300ms, the quicker, the better.

And there is probably more that can be done, it's amazing how much treatment a room needs to reach its full potential.
Where else would you add panels?

JonFo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where else would you add panels?
I'd want to look at some REW files from several measurements spaced a for or so apart centered on the MLP, with one of them being ear-level at MLP.

You already have a decent amount, so returns might be diminishing from here on out.

But I admit to being skeptical of the units just behind the mains. They might be ok for 2ch, but in a multichannel rig, maybe not.
Again, seeing some measurements would help sort that out.