System #115 (Ascent, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's oh so English - those water radiators! Do they honestly still build houses in England with those things?

I remember I could never acquire the art of setting those things so I was comfortable. Certainly not as easy as entering 24.5C on the air conditioner!

Adam, sometimes...:D

You mean you'd rather have a noisy A/C unit that a totally quiet rediator in your listening room? You jest, surely...

And 24.5C? Where's the sweating emoticon?:) We live between 19C and 16C very happily all winter. New houses here are so well insulated that the heating is always under thermostatic closed loop control. You just set the temps you want at what time of day, and it hardy seems to ever come on. A massive contrast from the last house, built in 1928.

That's the European decor that Justin prefers to the American! :p

Justin, I'm surprised that you have no room treatment....or would that not be in keeping with the decor ? :D

We don't do room treatment in the UK, Bernard:)

Not sure it needs it - it's plasterboard with insulation behind it. Bit like the whole room is treated.

Adam, sometimes...:D

You mean you'd rather have a noisy A/C unit that a totally quiet rediator in your listening room? You jest, surely...

And 24.5C? Where's the sweating emoticon?:) We live between 19C and 16C very happily all winter. New houses here are so well insulated that the heating is always under thermostatic closed loop control. You just set the temps you want at what time of day, and it hardy seems to ever come on. A massive contrast from the last house, built in 1928.

Silence is good! Unfortunately we don't need heating of any kind here in Queensland. Air conditioning can be made silent - mine has large, oversized ducts in the listening room and nothing can be heard from the listening seat.

Unfortunately? :confused: Count your blessings. It can go down here to minus 30C or colder with the wind chill factor.

Actually Bernard, I was talking to someone from Toronto in our office just last week. He was talking about the amount of snow you get and explained to me about "Snow Days" which I've never heard of!!

I had no idea you can go to sleep and find your house buried when you wake up!

Anyway, yes, I'm counting my blessings alright - I love the heat!

Actually Bernard, I was talking to someone from Toronto in our office just last week. He was talking about the amount of snow you get and explained to me about "Snow Days" which I've never heard of!!

I had no idea you can go to sleep and find your house buried when you wake up!

Anyway, yes, I'm counting my blessings alright - I love the heat!
That is a HUGE exaggeration from someone who lives in Toronto. They don't usually get a lot of snow.

That is a HUGE exaggeration from someone who lives in Toronto. They don't usually get a lot of snow.
Agree, with being North of the Great Lakes they usually do not get a lot of snow unless one of the "Nor-Easters" come ripping through.

This is what Winter is all about. Looks like Twich (Dave) got a little lost on his sled while on the trail in the second picture.

Attachments

• sans titre26.jpg
    sans titre26.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 506
  • sans titre23.jpg
    sans titre23.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 507

He showed me a picture of his house with what was almost a tunnel! dug from the street to the front door!

EDIT: Just flicked back to Dan's picture - that first one was what it was like.....and now we've totally hijacked Justin's system thread......sorry Justin!

Last edited:
I don't know, but if you check ebay prices for some of the better known older 211s, they aren't cheap. And they will only get scarcer over time. Probably the only part of my system that will appreciate!

It occurs to me that my amps maybe the world's most powerful commercially produced single ended 211 based amps. Spec below. If anyone knows otherwise, please post!

Attachments

• 211pse.jpg
    211pse.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,688
Last edited:
It occurs to me that my amps maybe the world's most powerful commercially produced single ended 211 based amps. Spec below. If anyone knows otherwise, please post!

Justin, much as I love the look of your amps, that honor might actually go to the Jolida Music Envoy's at 200wpc!

I listened to them at RMAF last year and they ARE quite something.

EDIT: Doh! just realized they are ultralinear NOT single ended. You are likely right after all Justin (as you often are).

Attachments

• Envoy_big.jpg
    Envoy_big.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Ever get the impression that you are talking to yourself? Well, of course you are...:)

There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles And piles Of trials With smiles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free.

Well, I guess I defected. Best make it official on my system pages for the record. Ascents are on ebay at the mo...

Attachments

• aps.jpg
    aps.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 836
Wow Justin - the Apogee's look great.

Did you also embrace the dark side with those solid state Rowland amps or are they just loaners? They're made about 100 miles south of me.

Back