System #115 (Ascent, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had better make the point, which I did elsewhere, that the Vantage was confirmed as faulty by the dealer. It sounded like the panels weren't energised properly - that's the best way I can put it, really - not "unplugged", but definately below par. It took him months to sell them - they went after the dealer had them repaired.

So the Vantage probably does work properly after all:) Sorry for the damning review above, Vantage owners!

This system needs updating, really. Even that dodgy Dali re-print has been replaced by a genuine painting - effect on SQ? Staggering! Only joking, chaps...

Last edited:
Here's my recently upgraded 18 year old Gyrodec - before and after shots. Upgrades include:

1) Michell Orbe platter - about 2 1/2 inches thick of vinyl impedance matched impregnated acrylic.

2) Arm decoupling kit - I think this is probably highish durometer urethane - the black supports just below the arm base.

3) Densodamp compound - used under the black suspended chassis to dampen any resonance - note there were already lead weights under it (by default).

4) New suspension springs.

5) New record clamping mech with threaded spindle. This presses the record flat without a mildly concave platter surface, unlike the Gyrodec platter.

6) Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge.

Results are very good. The TT now sounds much better balanced than before from top to bottom, with much better bass definition. I don't believe it's possible to get much better without spending extreme amounts. The upgrade parts came to £441 - which is staggeringly good value, I think. Top marks, Michell!

Want a tonal change? Just slap the old Gyro platter back on:) Then realise it's not as good and put the Orbe one back on, I guess:D

Arguably less pretty in Orbe format. There also seems to be less surface noise with the Orbe platter. Also, I can't tell whether the platter is rotating in dim light anymore!

Attachments

• gyro2.jpg
    gyro2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 7,633
  • gyroorbe.jpg
    gyroorbe.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 5,357
Last edited:
Very nice-looking, Justin. How do you like the Morch tonearm? I considered it before I ended up buying the VPI JMW.

I think the Morch is brilliant. The tonearm is detachable, which means setting it up is a doddle - just detach the arm, and align the cart with the headshell. Then attach the arm, and check it with a protractor to confirm that it is exactly right (well, as right as it can be) - which it always seems to be after following the above procedure.

Also, for compliance/eff. mass matching, just order the appropriate arm tube - there are 4 to choose from. It's a simple design - but it works very well indeed.

Seems to be a very natural sounding arm with no noticeable colourations. It blew my Rega RB300 away. Totally.

Wow!! I just love that turntable Justin.:bowdown: That thing looks impressive and I bet it sounds that way too. Was it hard dialing it in or was it pretty simple? More Pics! More Pics! :D

Happy listening,

Glen

Duane - it's the avatar I joined the club with. Then I went to some boring pic of 211s - can't imagine why! But for the magic dots thread - yeah - it's appropriate:D

Glen - glad you like the TT. Not bad for an 18 year old bitch, I guess! It withstands all system upgrades elsewhere. It's my favourite piece of kit. And with the Orpheus and Orbe upgrades, it is even better than ever. These days, I listen to it with a kind of stunned disbelief, as I have posted before elsewhere:)

Easy to set up? Well, the arm is. When you buy the TT, you have to assemble it from bits. It's not hard in any way, though.

Design wise, it is one of the few with a high mass platter and a suspended chassis. It is a classic, and it is very highly rated over here. Buy one and keep it til you die:)!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my second system amp, because, well, its cool. 50 Watt Bill Beard. A very nice sounding amp indeed - out of it's league with Ascents, but hook it up to some modest dynamic speakers and it is a very musical listen indeed:music:

Drove some Aerius quite nicely for years. It's about 17-18 years old. But still looking sexy.

Originally, the tranny tops were not chromed. I had this done at the local custom motorbike shop. Nice work, I think.

Attachments

• billbeard.jpg
    billbeard.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 19,178
Last edited:
And a cooler shot of the gas discharge voltage regulators. OD3/OA3 RCAs. Rather better looking than the Tungsram's featured earlier.

Attachments

• od3oa3.jpg
    od3oa3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 9,311
And another gratuitous 211 pic. This time the real deal - RCA 211s vintage 1942. A credit to American war time engineering, and some of the best sounding audio devices of all time:)!

I have posted some of these before - but I figure they belong on my system page, really.

Smaller tubes/valves from front to back:

Amperex 63/85A2 85V voltage regulator - nice and glowy.
Russisan 6N6P - Russian or nothing for this one, I am afraid.
Telefunken E280F gold pin. Very nicely made indeed. And cheap cos no one uses them - unlike the ECC803S, which goes for megabucks.

Attachments

• 211s.jpg
    211s.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8,648
Last edited:
Mainly rock, some reggae, some pop. I used to be a punk so there's a sizeable amount of that in my collection.

So, just out of curiosity, how does one go from being a Punk to having an audio system that is essentially an audio-based altar to capitalism? Talk about making a MAJOR paradigm shift...

I, for one, would like to hear THAT story... ;)

"I just became the person I warned myself against:D"

That came off of a cartoon I saw once. Wish I had it to show you.

Actually, I am still a bit of a rebel really...:eek::devil:

Justin - Punk - Audiophile, kind of reminds me of a Woody Allen quote:

"I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member."

Zelig - now that was a classic!

Anyway, a 211 goes, and there's plenty more to play with...:) Or just play with - they seem extremely reliable thus far. Used for fine tuning - or when I just fancy a subtle change of sound. The RCAs are the bad boys, really.

Don't you knock one of those over now!:D Think I might be exhausting world NOS 211 stocks...

Attachments

• 211.jpg
    211.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 4,851
Last edited:
Scott 350 - posted before, but it should figure on my system pages, I guess. Lovely sounding old piece of kit.

Attachments

• SDC10460.jpg
    SDC10460.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6,160
No not hardly. I have just visited Merry Old England quite a few times and on one trip we stayed at Thornbury Castle a few days and then road classic Triumphs down around Newquay, Penzance, St. Michaels Mount, Falmouth, kind of all over the southwest tip. I was just curious if you knew of Thornbury Castle. When we would travel around England a lot of British people we met did not travel around the countryside much, so I was wondering whether you were a traveler.....just kidding we actually have travelers here in the colonies. I jwas just curious if you got around much or were of a home body who just sat and listened to LF Pink Floyd stuff, quoting poetry.:D

Back