System #115 (Ascent, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Round, round, get around, I get around..."

Poetry? More like loon ball punk/indie lyrics from long ago that I'm sure the majority here would probably hate if they listened to it. Everything I quote has, for some reason, struck a deep chord within me, however.

Thornbury Castle - not cheap. Had my wedding reception there and stayed in the King's suite i.e. the same room Henry VIII stayed in. Unfortunately, the next day, my wife was beheaded. Gotta watch it round here:D

I get around, though. You missed my Hong Kong hi-fi show report, obviously!

Yes I missed that report. I also stayed in the King's suite, it really is sweeeet! In fact it is haunted. We got a glimpse of the ghost, not sure who it is, the maids seem to think it was a lady, but anyway, it went by the window in to the bathroom one morning and it gave you shivers, but then it could have been the cold English climate. Funny thing though, when we were leaving the suite, something closed the door and actually locked my wife inside the bathroom. When I came back up to the room after a while of waiting for her to come down to the car, the door was unlocked and it opened without an issue. But my wife swears it was the ghost and she could not get out. True story, kind of a mystery like DSOTM.:D

Were you able to check out the web page that I sent you, with Shiny Chromey things?

Yeah they at the castle love to sell that ghost story...:D Seem to remember you go down some steps to get into that bathroom - bit of a strange arrangement.

I'm not into bikes, so the chromey things were a bit lost of me.

BTW: Newquay, Penzance, St. Michaels Mount, Falmouth - been to all those, too. We have a cottage in St. Ives a friend owns that we stay at for £20 a night. Brilliant. As is the fish down that way. Also, check out the pasties at Land's End. Best I have ever tasted, but the seagulls are inclined to attack you for them! They know a good thing when the see one:)

Last edited:
Lets see, British, in to Punk, Rock and Roll, but not British bikes, must be that mutation thing I have been reading about, probably has something to do with global warming. I am in to vintage British bikes enough for both of us, currently I have 12. Anyway, yes I have been to Lands End and my wife is a big time animal freak so we fed the seagulls, it probably is our fault they attack people today. We had big storms here the last two days with winds up to 72 MPH. We lost power and so I have been on generator power for two days and unable to listen to my MLs. The power company is here now and they are restringing power lines that were knocked down by trees. Found myself with some time on my hands so that is probably why I have been bothering you with text trivia. Sorry. Within a couple of hours things should be back to normal and I hope to be back to listening to music instead of texting on the Internet.

Don't worry about the posts - it was a pleasure. I get a kick out of talking to Americans, because, well, they're not quite the same as English geezers.

I've got a punk fast car but maybe I should sell it and get a pair of CLXs and two Descents.:devil: Then again...:D Make that three Descents - just so I can say I have one more than Jeff:) Alas, my listening room wouldn't take that setup. I drove a van all day yesterday, pretty much. I got in the car today and it felt like I was in a spaceship by comparison. Totally reminded me why I bought it in the 1st place!

Last edited:
Okay, I will bite, what is a punk fast car? It sounds like one of those English colloquialisms that we don't have in the American version of our common language. I am what they call here in America a motorhead. I collect red Italian cars and vintage British motorcycles and I exercise them regularly in the spring, summer and fall. That's in between listening to music on my MLs and playing golf.....oh and some actaul work thrown in now and then.

I think of dominoes every time I see this picture;

Attachments

• Dominoes.jpg
    Dominoes.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 443
Okay, I will bite, what is a punk fast car? It sounds like one of those English colloquialisms that we don't have in the American version of our common language. I am what they call here in America a motorhead. I collect red Italian cars and vintage British motorcycles and I exercise them regularly in the spring, summer and fall. That's in between listening to music on my MLs and playing golf.....oh and some actaul work thrown in now and then.

Punk fast car - nah, I just made it up. We get so spied on in this country, that having a fast car here these days is rebelious. And with the latest internet monitoring bills coming in, even the web sites we surf are logged. I can't believe there isn't a complete uproar about it! What an invasion of privacy, all under the BS of "it's for terrorism". After I was a punk, I mellowed a bit. Now I am heading back that way!

I played golf a lot last year. Got myself some nice Wilsons and a Ping G10.

Your red Italians are probably faster than my blue German.... mine is restricted at 155...

Hm, well it's noisy, Kruppy.

I think the Brits did punk best... even if the New York Dolls were an influence...

Mind you, the Buzzcocks did say "I hate fast cars", so can a fast car truly be punk? I know, I started it...:)

Last edited:
Hm, well it's noisy, Kruppy.

I think the Brits did punk best... even if the New York Dolls were an influence...

Mind you, the Buzzcocks did say "I hate fast cars", so can a fast car truly be punk? I know, I started it...:)

Oh come on now....;)

The Dead Milkmen's "Bitchin' Camaro" is a classic 49 sec punk song......

Actually, punk-wise I like Mission of Burma.....

Kind of reminds me of Extreme Noise Terror's Only In It For The Music.

Basically, about the same length, same noise(ish), with inaudible grunting noises. But when you read the printed lyrics, it went something like:

"If you're only in it for the music, then f'off, because we ain't interested in your fashionable pose. You're a cop out, drop out, f'off!!"

It's in my collection somewhere from a John Peel session (RIP John). Not saying it's good, but definately a classic of it's ilk (just cos it was so inane - you'd never listen to it for pleasure!).;)

Not exactly Punk, but if we're going to talk alternative music with car associations my personal fave is probably Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot Rod". Now THAT's a piece of music!

Tis good, Tim, very good indeedy dang lang a ding etc...

Dunno why, but you just made me think of the Revolting Cocks - Linger Fickin' Good. That's a classic too, and is about to get a spin! Very tongue in cheek... great sound, great lyrics... great double bass!

Last edited:
System shot about a week ago... just strap on your geetar and we'll play some rock'n'roll...:)

Attachments

• latestsystem.jpg
    latestsystem.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,852
Interesting, I have been on vacation a few days and just got around to reading up on this thread. And then last night, I was reading the liner notes from the ELP Brain Salad Surgery the 35th Anniversary Edition in SACD and in it ELP describes themselves as the original Punk Rock band. There is some very interesting reading in those liner notes and they make some points that are pretty valid, but I will let Justin decide, since I would guess that he is the only REAL punk rocker on our little forum. :bowdown:

Hm... my hippy brother used to be into ELP - it'd take some real convincing to make me think they were punk in anyway. But then again I don't have the sleeve notes:D

I mean "Brain Salad Surgery" - that just sounds inspired by a 1cm squared piece of cardboard with a :) on it, doesn't it? Hippy sh*te, for sure...:)

Here is a little piece from the sleeve notes, actually the DVD Audio version not the SACD.

"ELP was so bloody dark and aggressive," Greg Lake says with relish. "When the whole punk rock thing came out we used to laugh at them. Because if you are talking about aggression--real aggression--that's ELP. This was a truly aggressive band; aggressive to each other, aggressive in the music, aggressive in performance, aggressive in stage production. It makes Johnny Rotten look like a f---ing walk in the park!" Emerson expresses unusual fondness for the late 70s punks who delighted in savaging his own music, but still bemused by the hype the spiked hair and safety-pin set got for their antics:"Particularly so when we'd all done it ourselves, all the throwing up in airports and that sort of stuff. We were far worse than the Sex Pistols. Far Worse!

Like I said interesting. Gives new meaning to Benny the Bouncer and Karn Evil 9. Actually looks like lyrics that you would have in your posts. From Karn Evil 9 "Fear that rattles in men's ears
and rears its hideous head
Dread...Death....in the wind...."

Just goes to show....you learn something new every day....if you observe.

That's oh so English - those water radiators! Do they honestly still build houses in England with those things?

I remember I could never acquire the art of setting those things so I was comfortable. Certainly not as easy as entering 24.5C on the air conditioner!

That's oh so English - those water radiators! Do they honestly still build houses in England with those things?
That's the European decor that Justin prefers to the American! :p

Justin, I'm surprised that you have no room treatment....or would that not be in keeping with the decor ? :D

Latest posts

Back