Summits... and the kind of surface they stand on.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvdh

Reaction score
Hi there,

As my Summits have arrived and I enjoy them more every day, I have some second thoughts about the floor surface they stand on.

Because one of the Summits woofers is pointing downwards, and therefor throwing out its sound directly on the floor, I can imagine that the floor surface influences the sound. A wooden floor will reflect more sound than a carpeted one for example.

Does anyone know what is best? As I have carpets in my listening room, I could put the Summits on a marble or granite plate?

I wonder if there is anyone here who has experimented with floor surfaces.

As the picture shows, I am experimenting with a granite slab, trying to kill two birds with one stone: having the Summits tilted forward and creating a reflecting surface for the lower woofer. Because the Summits are not broken in yet, it remains fiddling, but hey... I am a man!

Best regards: Ronald

summit-graniettegel.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody here (I forget who) has their Summits on a granite or wood base. You could experiment with a scrap piece of wood, or tile, and see if it makes a major difference. Some folks argue it doesn't really matter with lower bass notes. Mine are carpet, but I'll probably experiment with a solid base at some point.

Hi there,

As my Summits have arrived and I enjoy them more every day, I have some second thoughts about the floor surface they stand on.

Because one of the Summits woofers is pointing downwards, and therefor throwing out its sound directly on the floor, I can imagine that the floor surface influences the sound. A wooden floor will reflect more sound than a carpeted one for example.

Does anyone know what is best? As I have carpets in my listening room, I could put the Summits on a marble or granite plate?

I wonder if there is anyone here who has experimented with floor surfaces.

As the picture shows, I am experimenting with a granite slab, trying to kill two birds with one stone: having the Summits tilted forward and creating a reflecting surface for the lower woofer. Because the Summits are not broken in yet, it remains fiddling, but hey... I am a man!

Best regards: Ronald

View attachment 4858
I have my Summits standing on SoundGuard suspension bases. These are metal anti-resonant bases that almost exactly fit the footprint of these speakers. They keep the woofers off the carpet in my room and are not likely to muffle the sound. I don't know if they are still available. The Cable Company used to sell them.

Somebody here (I forget who) has their Summits on a granite or wood base. You could experiment with a scrap piece of wood, or tile, and see if it makes a major difference. Some folks argue it doesn't really matter with lower bass notes. Mine are carpet, but I'll probably experiment with a solid base at some point.

On my African teak floor, the Summit's bass was fine. But to my pair of tin ears, it now has better definition on 30lb granite slabs.

A forward tilt brightens the sound, but lowers the ceiling.

...As the picture shows, I am experimenting with a granite slab, trying to kill two birds with one stone: having the Summits tilted forward and creating a reflecting surface for the lower woofer.
I like it! This is the first base/tilting mechanism I've seen that I would consider for my summits. Nice piece of innovation! :bowdown:

Back