Summit and Krell FPB

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just gone and purchased a rather large Krell FPB power amp - 700cx.

Has anyone got any experience of using this amp (or any of the other FPB's) with the Summits?

I spoke to a couple of hifi experts and they said that even though the bass is being driven actively, I will still hear a massive improvement in every other aspect.

I am currently using the Krell Showcase to power all 5 channels. Going forward the 700cx will power the fronts, with the Showcase powering the Theater i and Scripts.

Cheers
Marc

Hello Marc,

I went from a 5 channel Showcase to an FPB-400cx (with a KCT and CAST cables) with my Aeon i speakers and found it to be a HUGE improvement. I know that the Summits can't be compared directly to the Aeons but I think you will be pleased nevertheless.

I listen to classical music mostly and found the change to be a dramatic improvement in refinement, bass control, and much more subtle and sophisticated presentation.

Bob R.

Excellent - that is exactly what I have been explained.

The amp is currently being serviced and will be with me in a couple of weeks

Thank you for the reply
Marc.

When I talked to the service manager at Krell, he recommended a 20 amp dedicated line, and to plug the amp directly into the wall. And no power conditioner as they believe PCs limit current delivery to the amp. That was for a 400cx.

Bob R.

When I talked to the service manager at Krell, he recommended a 20 amp dedicated line, and to plug the amp directly into the wall. And no power conditioner as they believe PCs limit current delivery to the amp. That was for a 400cx.

Bob R.

Infact I have just had a dedicated mains ring put into my hifi room. I have a 32 amp fuse on this ring. I currently have a Vertex AQ mains filter, so I will have to consider not using that.

The dedicated mains did make a large difference - even my wife said that the sound sounded 'cleaner' - so there must be a difference!

Btw, does anyone know if you can bridge the Krell Showcase amplifier?
Thanks
Marc.

Marc, I don't believe the Showcase can be bridged. Bob

Latest posts

Back