subdude/gramma under Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
Hi all,

I put a Subdude HD under my Grotto, and wow what a difference! Great job of decoupling the sub from a hardwood floor.

Has anybody tried using them under their ML speakers?

I'm thinking of buying a set for my Vantages. So..wood floor -> SubdudeHD -> spike -> Vantage.

I used to have... wood floor -> wood/plastic disk -> spike -> Vantage.
Temporarily I'm at: wood floor -> piece-of-carpet -> Vantage :p.

Anything you can do to decouple the speaker from the floor is a good thing with the goal being to attenuate / eliminate sound transmission from the speaker to the floor.

I use the BDR product but this looks like a very reasonable alternative. If you buy from Amazon and don't like the results, you can always return the product.

GG

I'm using an ASC Subtrap under my JL F112 and it really helped with more uniform bass response.

From ASC website:

By raising the subwoofer off the floor and putting a bass trap in its place, the subwoofer is effectively decoupled from the vertical room mode. Excessive bass buildup is reduced and the playback volume of the subwoofer can be turned back up.

The subdude HD is $60 (shipped). Regular Subdude is $50. Only diff is the HD looks nicer.

I was thinking pucks, but the subdude is cheaper, and raises the speaker 2.5", and I'm hoping it's more kid proof (aka kids can't mistakenly slide the speaker off the platform).

I'm actually hoping that the raise will give me a higher soundstage, and also let things sound better when I'm walking around.

One of the negatives of the new MLs is they are shorter IMO.

Looked at the ASC Subtrap....how do you like the sound of the raised sub? It's a nice idea as I notice that I feel more as I'm lower to the ground presently. I guess I could try tilting the sub upwards and see what results I get.

I used an ASC Sub Trap 16'' under my Depth i for a while and it helped. The problem for me was the gap between floors (24" standard trusses) and not enough insulation. I have several access points and you could see the gap from one side of the house to the other.

A little while back I bought about 35 bales of natural fiber blow in insulation and filled the gap between the floors. Mo betta now.

I use the sub trap now as the base for a corner trap and I put the Depth i back on the granite slab with the spikes.

I used an ASC Sub Trap 16'' under my Depth i for a while and it helped. The problem for me was the gap between floors (24" standard trusses) and not enough insulation. I have several access points and you could see the gap from one side of the house to the other.

A little while back I bought about 35 bales of natural fiber blow in insulation and filled the gap between the floors. Mo betta now.

I use the sub trap now as the base for a corner trap and I put the Depth i back on the granite slab with the spikes.

My setup is on the main floor with an unfinished basement below. Co-incidentally I'm in the process of insulating the basement ceiling. I didn't even think about what kind of affect that will have.

Also going to buy some room treatments.

Back