Spires in the house

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
This may be a little soon but thought I'd relay my first impressions on the Spire.

I traded in the Vantage at Tweeter under their upgrade program. As most of us know, not the best place to audition but ok to buy if we know what we want. The guy mentioned quite a few Vantage owners have done the same. There were actually 5 pair of trade in Vantages in the store storage area.

The piano finish is a close match to the black glossy finish of the McIntosh gear which I prefered. Laura wanted the plain black so that is what we received. The fit and finish are top notch. I looked over each piece very carefully in light of recent concerns about QC. I did not find any chips, dents, scratches or blemishes anywhere. Edit: I do not notice any hum when they are idle. Very quiet.

Placed them in the identical spot that the Vantages were in. 60 inches off the front wall, 27 inches from edge of panel to side wall and 61 inches between inside edges. Leveled and plumbed the panels to vertical (more on this a bit later). Plugged everything up and waited about 45 minutes.

My pre amp displays in percentage. Don't really know how accurate this is, but I only use it as a baseline. Set it to 20% and hit play. No music. Gradually turned it up and at about 29% music began to be heard. This was unusual, since the Vantage played at this level, albeit very soft. It appears to me that the Spire requires more volume control. I'm not technically qualified to say this but my guess is the larger panel is the reason? The balance control remained at 1 tick to the left. My room is L shaped and the speakers are on the short leg. I required this on the Vantage to obtain balance also.

I removed the sub from the room. I wanted to hear exactly what the Spire would do on its own. With the Spire flat on the floor and the panel tilted back and controls set to zero, the bottom was very defined and solid with some flab which I'm sure will tighten up as I noticed this on the Vantage before break in. When the panels were plumb, the bottom became less forceful which I think is due to my makeshift way of raising the back. Will have to investigate the use of some spikes and cones. I honestly think the sub will not be going back. This may change after the next couple weeks, I'll have to hear.

Mids and highs are a bit forward at this point and I expected it to be so. With that in mind, I must say the detail of the Spire over the Vantage was overwhelming. Detail is what I was looking for and I think I found it. I know it sounds cliche, but I did hear new things in the music that the Vantage only hinted at. The Spire seems to be more direct. Does this meet the meaning of "transparent"? I ask that with all sincerity. Applying terms is not my best subject.

The width of the stage grew a bit but not as much as I thought it would. I have seemed to have lost some depth as well. That was very noticeable to me. Still have a bit of ringing which I think a couple of traps will fix.

My guess is as they break in and I do some positioning tweaks all will be well in Southern Maryland. I don't have any real concerns like I did with the Vantage and my lack of knowledge on set up. This will be much more fun this time around.

Gordon

Last edited:
Spires and 501's? Wow! That blows away my modest MC275 with my Spires. I agree with your use of the word 'transparency' in the case of these speakers. I think theses are the most transparent sounding ML's along with the CLX.

A quick suggestion is to maybe bypass the balance control on your C2200 or set it back to '0' and pull the troublesome speaker forward ever so slighly to compensate. You wont need to go more than one inch. When you bypass any tone/balance control on your Mc preamp the signal path becomes more direct. Also, have you used the 'flashlight' setup technique?

Congrats Gordon,

Moving from Odysseys to the the Summits, I noticed the same thing with the volume control having to be higher to start to produce sound from the Summits than with the Odysseys, But to produce louder listening levels, like when listening to some AC/DC, I didn't have to turn the volume up as high with the Summits as I did with the Odysseys to get the same SPL's.

Not sure if the spikes for the Spires are the same thread size as the Summits, but if they are you'll be hard pressed to find that size anywhere. I got a set of the 3 inch spikes Jason, (jtwrace), makes, and they work great at keeping the panels vertical.

How bout some pics?

the bass is big

those speakers really loosen up over time mine where really tight the bass will really improve.as martin logan suggest on their website "Listen carefully to the sound of a bass drum, and you'll hear the difference" well you do not have to listen close at all in my opinion the difference is clear.have fun with them!

Congrats on your new toys! I'm in the market for a new set of speakers, and hope I can stretch as far as the Spires. If not, it'll probably be the Vantage...

Omni, the 275's are no slouch either! I was on the fence between them and the 501. In the end the 501 is really what I wanted. I'll give the balance recommendation a try. The tone controls are disabled and have been for a long time. Don't think I ever played with them.

Spires and 501's? Wow! That blows away my modest MC275 with my Spires. I agree with your use of the word 'transparency' in the case of these speakers. I think theses are the most transparent sounding ML's along with the CLX.

A quick suggestion is to maybe bypass the balance control on your C2200 or set it back to '0' and pull the troublesome speaker forward ever so slighly to compensate. You wont need to go more than one inch. When you bypass any tone/balance control on your Mc preamp the signal path becomes more direct. Also, have you used the 'flashlight' setup technique?

Wayne, that is exactly what I'm noticing with the Spire. Slow to get going but gets big quick.

Congrats Gordon,

Moving from Odysseys to the the Summits, I noticed the same thing with the volume control having to be higher to start to produce sound from the Summits than with the Odysseys, But to produce louder listening levels, like when listening to some AC/DC, I didn't have to turn the volume up as high with the Summits as I did with the Odysseys to get the same SPL's.

Not sure if the spikes for the Spires are the same thread size as the Summits, but if they are you'll be hard pressed to find that size anywhere. I got a set of the 3 inch spikes Jason, (jtwrace), makes, and they work great at keeping the panels vertical.

How bout some pics?

Rich, I completely enjoyed the Vantage and highly recommend it. They were perhaps a tad small for my room but just barely. I could have kept them and remained happy. Just wanted to be a little happier!

Congrats on your new toys! I'm in the market for a new set of speakers, and hope I can stretch as far as the Spires. If not, it'll probably be the Vantage...

Congrats on the new speakers Gordon! Keep us posted on how they sound compared to the Vantages as they are broken in. I almost broke down and purchased a pair of Vantages last weekend. I'm having a hard time waiting to save up for the Spires, but I know they are worth the wait.

hi Gordon, Got my Spires this last fourth of July, Just learned about ML in June and wanted the Vantage but learned they were under going a make over. I agree they sound great as stand alone without a sub-W, but I find certain music just needs that extra, call it floor vibration, say like polka music. I had no idea what to get for an amp and pre amp so I ended up with a Butler 2500 amp=400 watts per, and a Arcam pre-amp. You can say I am a little naive in this area , but are those Mcintosh going for $4,500 each? I always liked Mcintosh, and never thought at the time to check them out. Now the best part comes, enoying your music! Bob

Hi Bob,
When I bought the Vantage, I had no idea that the Spire was coming out. So much for help and info at Tweeter! Vantage was a very good primer on ML. So far I think the added cost was well worth it. It is too soon to decide on the fate of my sub.

I also am naive on amplifiers. I've only had a couple different pieces and listened to several more (Bryston and Accuphase were most memorable). When I bought my first Mac, it was a MC352 which I think was barely enough for the Vantage. I think Jeff at Tonepub mentioned that also in on of his posts. The 501's and the 275 were my two final choices. I did not trust myself with tubes! The MSRP on the 501's is $5500 each. My dealer did me right and I saved quite a bit under MSRP and he gave me full purchase price back on my 352.

Gordon

hi Gordon, Got my Spires this last fourth of July, Just learned about ML in June and wanted the Vantage but learned they were under going a make over. I agree they sound great as stand alone without a sub-W, but I find certain music just needs that extra, call it floor vibration, say like polka music. I had no idea what to get for an amp and pre amp so I ended up with a Butler 2500 amp=400 watts per, and a Arcam pre-amp. You can say I am a little naive in this area , but are those Mcintosh going for $4,500 each? I always liked Mcintosh, and never thought at the time to check them out. Now the best part comes, enoying your music! Bob

tweeter

I really like the upgrade that tweeter offers without it I probably would not own spires! I think that tweeter could use a little help in there sales approach but when it comes to the brass tax they take good care of you!

Gordon, would you mind explaining, how to connect two power amps, one to each speaker?? I cannot visualize how it is set up? Say your using the CD player's analog out to your pre-amp analog in. my pre-amp only has one set of audio out, left / right, it also has buffered out L/R and I use this for my sub. So would I need a different kind of pre-amp that has two pairs of audio out to make connection to two different amps?? And buy having separate amps, can you adjust the power (volume) independently for each speaker? Hope this makes sense.

Gordon, would you mind explaining, how to connect two power amps, one to each speaker?? I cannot visualize how it is set up? Say your using the CD player's analog out to your pre-amp analog in. my pre-amp only has one set of audio out, left / right, it also has buffered out L/R and I use this for my sub. So would I need a different kind of pre-amp that has two pairs of audio out to make connection to two different amps?? And buy having separate amps, can you adjust the power (volume) independently for each speaker? Hope this makes sense.

Bob hooking up mono's is just like hooking up a 2 channel amp. I'm sure you now have 2 cables coming out of your pre amp going to the amp, one to the left and one to the right. Well the same thing happens except the right and left channels (amps) are seperate from each other. You should be able to hook up mono's to your present pre.

I can adjust the left and right volume by using the balance control on my pre but I have no independent control volume for each channel. I have to use 1 click to the left to compensate for a huge opening in the left wall. Since you are using identical amps for each of the channels the balance between the two should be very close if not exact.

I hope I was clear enough on that explanation. If not let me know and I'll try again.

Gordon

Thanks for your reply! If I got this right...... After typing what I think you said I am totally lost, maybe thats good because I might want to go that way!$$$$$ Maybe the people at Sound Pro where I buy alot of source units may be able to draw a schematic for me, Thanks!! They carry Mac, will make them excited!

I'm certainly happy to have the Sprires and Descent back in the
system after listening to a lot of other peoples speakers for the last
two months!

Still pretty amazed at how good these speakers are for the pricetag.

Vantage, Sprire and Summit are all at the top of their class.

Still pretty amazed at how good these speakers are for the pricetag.

Vantage, Sprire and Summit are all at the top of their class.

Great to hear! I can't wait to read your full Spire review (hint, hint). :)

Workin on it. Have to get issue 18 done first. You will probably see it up on our website shortly after RMAF. I will do my best to describe them as accurately as I can. Very impressed though.

Hoping the CLX's are here by then!!!

Workin on it. Have to get issue 18 done first. You will probably see it up on our website shortly after RMAF. I will do my best to describe them as accurately as I can. Very impressed though.

Hoping the CLX's are here by then!!!

Cool! FWIW, TAS' Jonathan Valin now has the CLXs in house. So far, he's very impressed.

Back