Speaker covers for electrostatic panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making cloth speaker covers for the electrostatic panels in hopes that they will stay cleaner longer and therefor last longer and I won't have to spend that jacked up price to replace them so soon.

Anyone ever try this? Any suggestions? Any negative effects?

I have serious doubts that this could extend the life of the panels. The newer MLs are switched off when not in use so dust is not attracted to the panel except when you are playing them. And the covers would do nothing for changes in temperature and humidity. So, I really don't see how they could help extend the life of the panels.

If your speakers are located near your kitchen, AND you frequently fry foods, it might be beneficial to keep smoke/grease from getting deposited on the panels. I've been concerned about that myself.

Thanks for the replies.

These panels might not "attract" dust when they are turned off, but they sure can collect dust. Anything can collect dust.

Luckily I hardly ever fry food. But thanks for the hint. I'll make sure I turn on the fan and open the windows if i do.

I live a short block away from the Pacific Ocean. 1/2 the year I leave my dinning room window open and the speaker closest to that window is the one where I am starting to hear less sound in the upper frequencies.

There's definitely dust coming in from that window, and of course moisture (not enough to actually see or feel it entering through the window, but it's there). It's never that hot to need AC, because a fan works weel enough. Maybe what I should do at night when the fog comes in is reverse my box fan so it blows air out of the apartment.

I dont know which speakers you have, but you can get a curtain shop to tailor a pair of "socks" for your panels, that way you can get them in a design that goes with your apartment interior. If they make the socks with polyester on the inside they will be quite effective protectors.
Otherwise, depending on the age of your panels I recommend you just wash your panels every other year or so, see the sticky post about this.

This topic came up a number of years ago........my wife eventually ran up a pair for me out of a cream coloured very light weave type of calico.......took her a few hours and have been using them for years. My Summit panels are well protected from dust and the odd "accident". I do remove them carefully as they gather dust and give them a good shakeout.

What are you thinking of making them from? Plastic? I keep mine covered in their original covers (fabric) and certainly think it helps. Humidity and temperature have nothing to do with panel life - it is environmental pollution (exacerbated by high humidity because it helps foreign objects stick) which determines panel life.

I prefer vacuuming every week or if not in use cover my speakers for inactive periods over one week duration.

Peter....These can be purchased as an aftermarket accessory direct from ML. (Or at least it was possible last time I bought some!)
Depending on which model you have from among recent products e.g. I own 2 sets of Vantage covers via Melodie at ML.They are proper lightweight lint-free cloth covers, not the temporary paper ones that many models are shipped with. There may be a price premium but they look a darn sight better than home made attempts :)
Hope this is helpful....Victor

Victor. I would be very interrested in a set of vantage covers. How did you buy them directly from ML?

Victor. I would be very interrested in a set of vantage covers. How did you buy them directly from ML?

Bevensee, just a simple e-mail to ML customer service was sufficient. They didn't advertise them at the time but they should as it could be a good little earner ;)

Thanks guys.

I am not sure what type of material to use. I was thinking of something where I could protect them and at the same time not need to remove them to listen. Just like with regualar box speakers. I would always have the grille on one speaker and off the other. Once in a while I would take the grill off the other speaker too and noticed a big difference in the amount of dust left on the cones (as well as the box part).

But, one of the beauties of ML speakers is their transparent look (as well as audio transparency). Cloth on them would look ugly.

So maybe a material that would protect them better but would need to be removed when listening too. I would then only use them in the summer when I leave the windows opened.

My mom visits me once or twice a year for a few weeks. She's a retied seamstress. And of course, moms still love making things for her (adult) kids :) Sure, it won't have the ML logo on it, but it also won't require me to bend over and hand over hundreds of $$ to the new greedy ML corp.

I would say some sort of micro fiber...like Oakley...probably comes in many different thicknesses...And you could get it silk screened with whatever Logo or pattern you would want...Your Mom could sew it all up...But you will still be handing over your $ to a Corporation...I LOVE greedy corps though...I work for one! :)

T.

I remember Jim Power telling me that some ML users listen to their speakers with the covers on....
The cost wasn't hundreds of $$ BTW....I think mine were about £38/pair (or it might have been $$)....Didn't seem too unreasonable. ;)

I remember Jim Power telling me that some ML users listen to their speakers with the covers on....
The cost wasn't hundreds of $$ BTW....I think mine were about £38/pair (or it might have been $$)....Didn't seem too unreasonable. ;)

Jim Power doesn't work there anymore. And since he left, replacement parts like panels and woofers have trippled in price.

I would say some sort of micro fiber...like Oakley...probably comes in many different thicknesses...And you could get it silk screened with whatever Logo or pattern you would want...Your Mom could sew it all up...But you will still be handing over your $ to a Corporation...I LOVE greedy corps though...I work for one! :)

T.

Microfiber seems like a great choice in material! I could also use it to dry off my car after rinsing ;)

It generates lint?

Or do you mean dust attaches to it more easily than other types of fabric? If so, then I would think it would do a good job of preventing dust from going through it an reaching the speaker.

Back