Speaker Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recomend you to try alot of different cabels, and use your own ears when you decide what to buy. Remember it always comes down to what YOU like and not everyone else. ;)

Good luck hunting !

PS.
I like my Audience AU24
DS.

There are so many brands out there and you can never try them all. Of the few I've had the opportunity to audition, the Audience Au24 is the cable that won me over. These cables were a significant improvement over anything else I tried. Even my wife heard a diffference without any prompting. I've learned that a wife's ears are better than any "double-blind" tests.

In fact, I've gone to an all Audience Au24 system to include the power cord and Bi-wire speaker cables. I agree that you don't really need to Bi-wire the Summits since they are internally amped but it doesn't hurt either.

A close runner up for me is the Harmonic Technology Pro-9s or Magic One.

Again there any many cable brands and types out there but I'm content with the Au24s and I have no desire to search any further. I found what I'm looking for in a cable.

Since audio equipment performance is subjective, I doubt you will ever find agreement or consensus on any one "absolute best" cable for Summits or any other piece of gear.

The good news is that there is a lot of good stuff available and you can find good performance with inexpensive cables. The improvement in higher-end cables is usually subtle and often times system dependent. Upgrading cables should be one of the last upgrades for your system after you addressed everything else especially room acoustics. You'll often get more bang for the buck by upgrading front end components, amps, room acoustics, tubes, etc than from cables.

The more resolute your system is (to include having good room acoustics), the more likely you will hear a change in sound with a change in cables. If there is one thing that cables will not do is overcome deficiencies in room acoustics or from a weak link or links in a system. Unless of course, that weak link is the cables themselves.

Last edited:
Currently I am using Bi-wire Speaker Cables (Q-10) and Silver Revolution Balanced Interconnect from DH Labs. Do you think it's worth spending on Transparent "Ultra" Series and forget about spending on cables in future? Will I get a substantial difference in sound timber?

I would recomend you to try alot of different cabels, and use your own ears when you decide what to buy. Remember it always comes down to what YOU like and not everyone else. ;)

Good luck hunting !

PS.
I like my Audience AU24
DS.

So your dealers allow you to home audition ICs and cables similar to auditioning amps and speakers?

So your dealers allow you to home audition ICs and cables similar to auditioning amps and speakers?

when one considers the mega-pricing of some cables, IC's, etc, home auditioning is a MUST !!

Last edited:
Depending on what you have feeding the Summits and your personal taste, you should try out some cables before deciding. It's fun too :)
I prefer bi-wiring my Summits over jumpers. I use Alpha Core Pyhton for the bass, and Audio Innovations silver cables (excellent resolution) I've had for ages for the panels. Big difference when I swap them, I loose both resolution and bass extension.

Currently I am using Bi-wire Speaker Cables (Q-10) and Silver Revolution Balanced Interconnect from DH Labs. Do you think it's worth spending on Transparent "Ultra" Series and forget about spending on cables in future? Will I get a substantial difference in sound timber?

I am currently using Transparent Ultra XL bi-cables and can highly recommend them. They are not cheap, but are very very good.
The new MM range is better, however they are more $'s. I always think you should aim as high as possible in terms what you can afford - but that does not necessarily mean you wont upgrade in the future :)

I actually use Transparent throughout my system, from power to interconnects. As you go up the range there are large improvements, but the cost increases substantially. I have settled for a combination of mostly Ultra cables (I have a couple of plus and a digital reference cable).

Best advice as always though, is simplyto try them in your system.

Rgds
Marc

I have gotten good results on my Summits with Cardas, Cable Pro (www.cablepro.com) and Nordost. I also prefer bi wired cables over jumpers. I am currently enjoying a bi wire set of Nordost SPM. Each cable has strengths and weaknesses. What's right is what sounds best to you.

I am currently using Transparent Ultra XL bi-cables and can highly recommend them. They are not cheap, but are very very good.
The new MM range is better, however they are more $'s. I always think you should aim as high as possible in terms what you can afford - but that does not necessarily mean you wont upgrade in the future :)

I actually use Transparent throughout my system, from power to interconnects. As you go up the range there are large improvements, but the cost increases substantially. I have settled for a combination of mostly Ultra cables (I have a couple of plus and a digital reference cable).

Best advice as always though, is simplyto try them in your system.

Rgds
Marc

A friend of mine upgraded his ICs and Speaker cable from Transparent Ultra to Reference and he found remarkable difference with his Maggies 3.6 and Krell FBP 300. Is it worth spending so much? I think his investments on cables is almost at par with the cost of his speaker. But he claims that the instruments sound big and very good imaging. I am currently using Summit with Plinius SA-102, Cary SLP-05 and Wadia 861 with DH Labs Q10 and thinking of migrating to Transparent cables (ICs & Speaker cables). I cannoy decide on which Transparent cable. Can you suggest?

Hello Craig!

Nice to find someone with the same taste in cabels. Do you use Audience powercord to your summits as well, please tell me what happened to the sound using the powercords

Latest posts

Back