Some more photos from Munich--CLX included :D

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulo m

Reaction score
Portuguese audio and hi-fi journalist Jose Vitor Henriques wrote about and published some photos from the Munich High End 2007 Show here.

A translation of the relevant parts follows. Enjoy!

Martin Logan

As soon as I arrived at the MOC, I quickly ran upstairs to see/hear the CLX. More than a decade later, Gayle Sanders finally decided to give birth to the heir of the only full range of the brand, the old CLS. But it has been a difficult birth. I looked for them in Las Vegas--and nothing. In NY, I heard they weren't there. Gayle (who in the meantime sold Martin Logan to spend more time with his family) had promised to show them in Munich. And he delivered--although with some restrictions: They weren't hooked up and absolutely no photography was permitted. You know how angry I get when I am not allowed to share what I see with you, but however much I tried, they resisted my charms. I don't know if anyone else got lucky, but at least I saw and touched them, as someone who touches a sacred relic. And since there is no sword able to root out thought, here's a description, as detailed as possible, with the usual disclaimer that the unit on display might not be the final product and thus might undergo some changes.

Martin Logan CLX and the forbidden photo

MUNCH07_ML_CLX.jpg

Martin Logan CLX: The secret lies under the hood. Despite all my efforts, this was all David Allen allowed me. At least you will have a sense of the size of the CLX. As for the rest, you just have to let your imagination run wild based on my words. After all, they did let me see it, they just didn't let me take a picture!...

The solid black aluminum frame is narrower and slightly taller than the CLS. The stat panel is divided in two equal parts: A curved panel for mids and highs, similar to the one on the Vantages, but along the full height of the speaker, set on the left side; and a straight flat panel (!!) for the bass, on the right side, giving the CLX an overall appearance of an unfinished design. I strongly feel this is not the final product, mainly because it was ugly. On the bass panel side, the CLX has a sort of cradle, similar to that on some of the dutch Audiostatic models, to allow the panel to go all the way down to 40 Hz without phase cancellation.

Martin Logan Purity

HIGHMUNCH07_ML_Purity.jpg

MUNCH07_ML_purity_nua.jpg

The most complete and cheapest Martin Logan ever: active or passive, dressed or bare, your choice...

The first active hybrid electrostatic in the world. With Class D ICE amplification, of course. The Vantage already had active woofers, but the Purity goes further: The panel also has its own amp. However, if you prefer, you can bypass the internal amp and use your own external amplifier.

HIGHMUNCH07_ML_source.jpg

Source, the Clarity successor: A simplified (and passive) version of the Purity

Or you can go for the Source, somewhat smaller with a similar design but passive. Both have a swivelling base so that you can tilt them back if your seat is far; or towards you, if you like nearfield listening like me. All this without having to adjust the spikes.

HIGHMUNCH07_ML_Motif.jpg

Martin Logan Motif, or is it a leit-Motif…

Martin Logan also had the Motif minicenter and the Grotto minisub on display, completing their Spring/Summer AV collection.

Last edited:
Paulo!

Thanks for the pics and the updates!! This is a great thread! Glad you're our spy from across the ocean!

Joey :)

Very interesting!! Thanks for the spy shots.

Man.....I am really stoked to get a listen at the Purity! If the ICE amp sounds as good as some that other manufacturers are building (Rotel, Rowland, Bel Canto, etc...), it will be a great value!

Add a source with volume control and you have a super simple, yet great sounding system! Or add a tube preamp if the class D doesnt quite cut it for you. :) I will talk my boss into getting a set as soon as they are available.

Paulo,

Thank you for your information! :rocker:

Now we can't buy any brand-new ML SPs in Japan. But many CLS funs still remain. Such people will be very grad to hear that ML is developing CLX and there is the possibility to sell it in near future.

Shuji

Martin Logam In Munich Highend Show

Hi, Paulo

Thank you for spreading the word. You didn't ask permission to use the exclusive photos but I am still happy that you shared them with everybody else at the Club. Besides you were careful enough to show where you got them from and even attached the link which shows your good faith.

And I must add that you are probably the best translator I have ever had: it is as if I am reading the original in Portuguese! So I think we are even: my photographic work for your translation work. Both very good - I am sure you all agree...

I am only surprised that nobody commented on the CLX description and the forbidden photo - both worldwide exclusives so far - which at least give you an idea of the scale and the looks of the future CLS heir.

Cheers to everybody for enjoying the Martin Logan sound

Henry aka José Victor Henriques
www.hificlube.net

P.S. I had an hidden camera and I could have made a movie of the CLX. But I had promised not to and I didn't. Not even for my personal use. I hope that entitles me to be one of the first to test a review sample for Hificlube...

Hi JVH,

First, welcome to the forum. I bet you will find this is one of the most civilized fora out there and there is a wealth of experience, diversity and tastes hard to find elsewhere.

You didn't ask permission to use the exclusive photos but I am still happy that you shared them with everybody else at the Club. Besides you were careful enough to show where you got them from and even attached the link which shows your good faith.

I apologize for any breach of etiquette. My intent was to only post the link to your article, but then since I would have to give everyone the juicy soundbites I figured I might as well translate the whole thing. For the sake of completeness towards your original piece, the pic of the Harley-Davidson-like Summits didn't make it into the article because of a limitation of the forum software (5 pics max per post).

And I must add that you are probably the best translator I have ever had: it is as if I am reading the original in Portuguese! So I think we are even: my photographic work for your translation work. Both very good - I am sure you all agree...

Thank you for the kind words.

I am only surprised that nobody commented on the CLX description and the forbidden photo - both worldwide exclusives so far - which at least give you an idea of the scale and the looks of the future CLS heir.

I'm sure that people want to see the real deal before commenting. And in case you don't know, the 2007 Get Together being planned for the end of June in Lawrence, KS, will probably feature a preview model of the CLX...

Best regards,
Paulo

CLX Photo...

paulo m,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. Interesting photo. It does give a sense of the size of the CLX. :)

Back