Saw the new MLs for the first time.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorToad

Reaction score
I was in BHam this w/e for the AMA race and there's a closing Tweeter right next to my favorite cigar store of all time so I dropped in kind of hoping to find a cheap two channel amp. They had some Clarities in a crowded room of speakers, and some Vistas and Vantages in the remaining listening room. They were being powered by a Krell integrated amp that the salesman said was type "A-B digital" (...) and powerful. It was also over $2,000 so I gave up on buying anything new and just listened for a short bit. The available music was McJazz that I was unfamiliar with so I didn't get a full-boat impression of the speakers, but they sounded great. They were a lot brighter and sweeter than the Sequels but they also seemed to lack much for oomph. Better sauce, less meat, I guess. I'd guess a lot of that can be handed to the new generation panels and the fact that the Krell costs as much as the room my amp is in, with the amp in it. :)

There was another pair right behind them that I thought were just another color option, but they were Vantages. I didn't bother pulling them out to listen as I didn't have all day. I think I expected them to look more different.

The initial, biggest, and most lasting impression I got though, is that these things were TINY! :D Having gotten used to having the Sequels in my living room, the Vistas looked like toy model speakers. Like someone left some Sequels and maybe some Quests in a room alone and then found these a few weeks later.

Sounds like a fun trip! I have yet to see the old MLs. :)

The krell integrated was most likely a KAV 400xi.

Hey MotorToad,

yeah the new generation MLs are really small compared to the older ones. They sound AMAZING, though!!

Cool that you got a little exposure to them! Thanks for sharing.

Tom.

Krell

I have had favorable experiences with that Krell. One question is, how loud did you push it? I believe that the volume on the unit goes to 151? In my experience, at 65 its already getting to a very loud amount....anything higher was just getting painful, although, the room was quite small...:music:

I have had favorable experiences with that Krell. One question is, how loud did you push it? I believe that the volume on the unit goes to 151? In my experience, at 65 its already getting to a very loud amount....anything higher was just getting painful, although, the room was quite small...:music:
I didn't listen to it very loud at all. It was an open room to the side of the store and I really wasn't getting that much from the music to warrant being "that guy" and disturbing everyone else. I'm sure it's a great amp, but it's way more than I can spend at the moment.

Back