Rowland 201's or Parasound jc-1 monos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russb

Reaction score
I am useing the Rowland 201's a this time with my Summit's. I was thinking about going with the Parasound JC-1 mono's, or should I just keep the Rowlands, not shure on what to do. I have no way to demo the JC-1's. I am going on what I have read. I would like to here some of everybodys comments in this matter.

Thank You
Russ

What's wrong with the Rowland?

Russ,

I just switched from a Classe Audio CA150 to a Pass Labs X250.5 thanks, in part, to jtwrace's input. Thank you again Jason. I trust that this is not a fair comparison in your case. I would presume the Rowland is a much better amp than the Classe. However, the point is "why do you want to swap out the Rowland and what do you think the JC1's will give you that the Rowland does not?"

I will tell you that I am absolutely enamored with the Pass Labs and the 250.5 is within the same general price range as the JC1's. The synergy between the Pass Labs and the Summits is absolutely magic IMHO. I am considering writing a review to post on this website.

Given my experience with amplifiers and with other components I've tried, I would not buy without a test drive / money back / audition option. If you choose to buy without a test drive option, as they say in Latin, caveat emptor. Translation, buyer beware.

By the way, I've heard from sources I trust, that the JC1's take a minimum 500 hours to burn in so if you buy new, be patient. Also, Ive seen used JC1's on the "gon" for around $4K. New / retail is in the area of $7K. Hope that helps and good luck.

GG

I am useing the Rowland 201's a this time with my Summit's. I was thinking about going with the Parasound JC-1 mono's, or should I just keep the Rowlands, not shure on what to do. I have no way to demo the JC-1's. I am going on what I have read. I would like to here some of everybodys comments in this matter.

Thank You
Russ

Have you seen this Rowland 201 review at AudioAsylum? According to this thread, the Rowland 201 monos are quite good and I'd (grossly) extrapolate that it'll be a sideway move to the Parasound JC1 monos, but I'd most likely be proven wrong. On another note, I agree with Gordon Gray that the Pass X250.5 (or X150.5) is quite musical and worth an audition.

Spike

Russ,

I just switched from a Classe Audio CA150 to a Pass Labs X250.5 thanks, in part, to jtwrace's input...

Gordon, just curious, how HOT does your X250.5 run when driving the Summits? Craig and I just listened to a local audiophiles setup yesterday with a Pass Labs Pre and Pass DAC (forget the exact models) paired with the X250.5, driving a pair of his custom 2-way speakers (ScanSpeak woofer and tweeter). The entire system was really sweet sounding, but even with the more efficient dynamic speakers, the X250.5 ran fairly hot (since first 35 watts Class A).

I had the X250.5 on my "wish list" at one time, but the heat production concerned me, so I ended up going with the (cooler running Class A/B) Belles 350A Reference.

I really wish I had at least auditioned the Pass Labs, just to see if the heat would really be an issue here in FL!

Gordon, just curious, how HOT does your X250.5 run when driving the Summits? Craig and I just listened to a local audiophiles setup yesterday with a Pass Labs Pre and Pass DAC (forget the exact models) paired with the X250.5, driving a pair of his custom 2-way speakers (ScanSpeak woofer and tweeter). The entire system was really sweet sounding, but even with the more efficient dynamic speakers, the X250.5 ran fairly hot (since first 35 watts Class A).

I had the X250.5 on my "wish list" at one time, but the heat production concerned me, so I ended up going with the (cooler running Class A/B) Belles 350A Reference.

I really wish I had at least auditioned the Pass Labs, just to see if the heat would really be an issue here in FL!

I owned a x250 and it ran pretty hot running the Summits. You could touch it but definitly feel the heat off it. I upgraded to the x600.5s and damn do they run hot. If I have them on all day they will heat up the room that they now own. I hope this helps.

yes, the Pass does run hot. I have the 250, X-1 pre and a Aleph 30 (on loan to IWalker) and it will all heat up the room. I don't mind it....it sounds sooooo good. It's worth it to me! I can't wait to get my XA series amp those are really going to run hot. 100w pure class A. :D

I'll Have A Couple Of Eggs Over Easy

As others have stated, the 250.5 does run hot after you play at 90db for a couple of hours. I don't have an issue with the amp heating the room. However, after my fourth night of listening to my Summits with the Pass Labs in the system, I have nothing else to say but "I LOVE IT".

Power aplenty, silky highs, just the right amount of midrange bloom, precise but not over analytical imaging, and a vice grip on the mid bass coming through the panels. Total control but very cohesive and extremely musical. I am considering writing a review, which is something I've never done before. My problem with doing this is that I would compare the Pass to an eight year old Classe design, which was certainly quite good in its time but is admittedly "old" SS technology.

I would encourage everyone to audition the 250.5 if they have the chance. In its price range, it is, IMHO, a very serious contender.

GG:rocker:

Gordon,

What do you think of the tuning dots?

Gordon,
I will be following this thread closely also. I have been auditioning a Pass Labs x250.5 and am well into "it" by now. This is good to hear for me because I have been considering many options with amplifiers such as Mark Levinson, Classe, Plinius, and Pass Labs. My local dealer carries Pass Labs and Plinius so there is where my choices lay for now...as far as solid state. I know Tom, our webmaster is considering a Mark Levinson 333, something I had my eyes on but it would have been a purchase thru the Gon used without hearing it. All I have to do now is talk to the dealer about payment options and go from there.

Although all my listening was done at the dealer on Magnepan 20.1's I was thrilled with the way the amp handled the planners and music! I don't remember the source model number but it was a newer Audio Research CD Player (probably a CD3) running thru an LS-26 ARC Preamp, the Pass Labs x250.5 and finally the Maggie 20.1's. I am hoping there is some way I can get it to audition the amp at my home with my ReQuests.

The Manepans are 5 to 6 dB lower in efficiency than my ReQuests but the amp still sounded great at low volumes (staying in the class A power band) or pushing it hard into Class A/B. After an hour of listening to what I would consider 85 to 95 dB I felt the Amp was warm to the touch.

Sam

Last edited:

Thank You
Russ

Hi Russ,

A couple of thoughts and extrapolations. Soundlab electrostatic speakers are often driven by the JC-l monos. They are a far more difficult load than the Summits. There is quite a bit of comment out there about break in time of hundreds of hours. I can believe this as I have heard them driving big Legacy speakers and sounding awful. I heard them again months later sounding wonderful.

Double difficulty for you - can't audition and if you buy new a long time to wait to really evaluate if they are keepers. What are you trying to improve in the sound you are getting? What has made you think Parasound?

Maybe buy secondhand and if you do not like you should be able to move them on without a major financial penalty.

Kevin

Hi Russ,

A couple of thoughts and extrapolations. Soundlab electrostatic speakers are often driven by the JC-l monos. They are a far more difficult load than the Summits. There is quite a bit of comment out there about break in time of hundreds of hours. I can believe this as I have heard them driving big Legacy speakers and sounding awful. I heard them again months later sounding wonderful.

Double difficulty for you - can't audition and if you buy new a long time to wait to really evaluate if they are keepers. What are you trying to improve in the sound you are getting? What has made you think Parasound?

Maybe buy secondhand and if you do not like you should be able to move them on without a major financial penalty.

Kevin
Kevin
I guess I am trying to get more of a tube sound without buying a tube amp. The Rowlands are nice amps ,but they can be very detailed. They will bring out the bad in a poor recording. I read as many articles on the JC-1's and they are as close to a tube amp that your going to get at that price range. I need to go with Mono's because I have short (1-meter) Cardas golden ref. cables that I just purchased. I would like to go with Pass ,but they are out of the price range. I will probably stay with the Rowlands for now. Thanks everyone for your imput.

Russ

Russ,

Suggest you check out the new ARC HD220 - a hybrid tube-ss amp that combines the virtues of both - which will be released in a month or so. Lots of good buzz about that amp.

Link here:
http://www.arcdb.ws/HD220/HD220.html

Kevin
I guess I am trying to get more of a tube sound without buying a tube amp.

Russ

Plinius. Do not pass go do not collect $200 - Plinius. SAl02, SA l00 Mklll. Well within price point secondhand.

Kevin

Russ,
I don't know how either of the amps sound but after looking up the specs on each one, they seem to be quite formidable players. Nice wattage specs in that they double down for the most part...great specs, wonder how they sound.

I'm using a tube pre-amp and solid state for amplification to get my "dash of tube" sound with the punch I like from all the power a solid state amp has to offer. I'm still auditioning for now...let us know what you decided to go with. If I had to choose based on specs, I would go with the heavy weight Parasound JC-1 monos.

As a few here have commented, I am loking at the Pass Labs x250.5...and if I can stretch it out enough and get a good payment option from the dealer I'll go for the x350.5. I will be auditioning it against a Plinius...just not sure which, probably a 102

Sam

As a few here have commented, I am loking at the Pass Labs x250.5...and if I can stretch it out enough and get a good payment option from the dealer I'll go for the x350.5. I will be auditioning it against a Plinius...just not sure which, probably a 102
I agree with Kevin on the Plinius, as I do own one and love the sound. But you need to compare the two and see which you like better. Either would be a good choice depending which YOU like better and which falls in your budget.

Dan

Great thread you guys...

I'm currently in the market for a new amp (or amps) to drive my reQuests. My budget is 3700 or so. X250.5 and JC1s are on my list, as is the Plinius SA102. Just waiting for something to come up on the used market.

I've had a couple of "sorry, it's already sold" experiences the last few days, including an X250.5 that was posted on A-gon and was sold within a couple of hours after the guy posted it!!

I had a line on a Levinson 333 that had all the caps replaced. After doing more research on this model, I decided against it based on it's history and the expense of getting it repaired if anything else were to fail. Also the fact that it is very large, has no handles and my back hurts from just thinking about moving it. :D

I'm partial to the JC1s partly because I've been emailing someone at Parasound who has been super helpful and who has told me that there are several Parasound employees who are also Logan owners.

Last edited:
Wow!!!!

It is really good to hear such good things about the Parasound. I am looking quite wholeheartedly into the whole Halo line. I think Joey may have something to say about the Plinious products though...

I have been keeping up with the ebay market and there seems to be a heavy flow of used parasound gear, theres always a handful at least of units on the market there.... and another great place for cheaper "authorized" purchases of parasound is this place, hope it helps...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/

:cheers:
Audio Advisor

There are a pair of MINT Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks on Ebay right now, and they are just down the road from me. I'm not really interested in them, but some of y'all might be. The same seller is also selling a Rotel RSP 1098, which I AM interested in though...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsyoung298QQhtZ-1

I am in no way affiliated with this seller, btw, just tought y'all might be interested.

--Richard

Yeah.. I'm bidding on those right now and have exchanged emails with the seller. The last JC1's on Ebay went WAAAAAY over what they should've went for (4500 for a pair of them) and this guy wants to get close to that for these.

Sometimes ebay is NOT a good deal. Used JC1s should NOT be over $4K.. people get caught up in the whole "I gotta win" mentality sometimes, which is good for the seller.

RE Parasound... Their Halo gear is exceptional, but that's the top of their line.. I'm not sure I would even consider any of their other gear, which is now being called "NewClassic"

Last edited:
Yeah.. I'm bidding on those right now and have exchanged emails with the seller. The last JC1's on Ebay went WAAAAAY over what they should've went for (4500 for a pair of them) and this guy wants to get close to that for these.

Sometimes ebay is NOT a good deal. Used JC1s should NOT be over $4K.. people get caught up in the whole "I gotta win" mentality sometimes, which is good for the seller.

The exact same thing happened with a Parasound Halo A21 amp that I was looking at. It just went for 20% over the top Audiogon price for the unit!

Back