room correction

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

Reaction score
finally got my lyngdorf RP-1 room correction box set up and running and thought i would share a quick report. i have gone through literally YEARS of frustration, spending money like water trying to get the sound i want out of my stereo. some might remember i actually had my vantages up for sale here a while back. i have NEVER been able to get even close to achieving the sound i know my system was capable of. my house is really one big room - a lofted, completely open 2 level floor plan, and hardwood front to back. even if i was willing to hang room treatment in it (i'm not) it would have been a logistical nightmare to do. i read about the lyngdorf a while ago, and how it's design and focus is quite different then other room correction systems. it aims not to get the flattest response possible, but rather to allow your speakers to sound the way they were designed to in an accoustically correct room. my first experiment with it didn't go as well as planned. i figured i would spread out my vantages as far as possible to try to broaden the soundstage as much as i could and let the lyngdorf do the rest. this didn't go so well - the soundstage became a lot LESS focused then before, although the overall sound wasn't bad. so first lesson learned - speaker placement is still important with room correction. back the speakers went in there original position - about 6 feet apart, 4 feet from my back wall and toed in so i am looking at the inner 1/3rd of the panels. the sound - well, just let me say this was the first time since first auditioning the vantages that i got full on goosebumps. i'm also kinda embarrased to admit that my eyes watered up a bit on several new annie lennox songs (god i'm a sissy). the best listening experience that i have ever had from my system and i can't wait to get home and hear more. correction percentage in my room is being measured at almost 40% so the processor is definately working hard and my room definately sux for sound. spooky martin-logan "you are there" sound galore, huge soundstage, just amazing. you can flip the processing on and off with the remote to A/B the sound and it's really incredible what it does. i would like to add that the sound is NOT "processed" sounding or "digital" (at least not to my ears). i cannot recommend this unit more to anyone having a hard time with their rooms.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

I've heard similar good things about what Lyngdorf room correction can do.

Ratso, congrats!

Your experience is quite representative, as correct placement is still critical before starting the room correction process.

But it is amazing what a corrected system can sound like, isn’t it?

Oh, and no need to fell embarrassed. Any system that can’t make a grown man cry is not good enough (or your musical selections not right) ;-)

I mean, why else put that much money and effort into gear if not to get an emotional impact out of it.

How do you feel about the RC process using the Lyngdorf?
Was it difficult to learn?

easy as pie. the guided setup walks you through it step by step (for those unfamiliar, you plug a supplied mic - and supplied mic stand! - into the unit and it plays a series of test tones. you repeat this several times until the unit tells you it has enough info about your room to plot it's correction curves). the other nice thing is you can stop there with a simple 2 channel setup which is what i have. but later when i add my depth sub that i'm saving up for, you can also do a more advanced setup (up to 2 channel plus 2 sub system) where you can set high pass and low pass crossover points, choose your filter type (3 types each of linkwitz or butterworth), set delay distances, and more. very flexible. BTW i want to add i got this from audio systems in texas who i want to give a big thank you to and recommend. they worked out a payment plan with me to allow me to get this (it's not cheap) when i never would have been able to afford it otherwise.

Ratso,

Is there a website for the room correction device that you purchased?

woops sorry mods for the wrong forum posting i apologize! the website is lyngdorf.com

forgot to mention, the unit also has a whole optional series of preprogammed correction curves ("voices") that you can use. you can use "neutral" (no voice) which is what i use. but it's fun to play around with the others, there are about 20 in all but you can only store 6 at a time in the unit. everything from "party" (pumps up the bass a little bit) to relaxed (for those late night make out songs).

Rom correstion

I had the copland DRC 205 once, that made a big difference. More details and better sound stage. As if my Request was a "Request i" version.. Only downsize was this was only for 2-channel setup and coax connection terminal. haven`t heard Lyngdorf but I read that this was even a bit better unit. Sold, and got a denon with audessey correction.. But stilhh thinks that Copland was better...

I also have the Squeezebox 3, but I use the Inguz plugin room correction.
I havent made fancy filters, but corrected after measuring with Radio Shack, and adding corrections. My Aeon I´s are flat to 25 hz even though I didnt adjust anything in the deep bass. I only corrected up to 800 hz.
It may be worth noting that a lot have good experiences with Yamahas YPAO roomcorrection, so if anyone has a Yamaha in the surround setup its worth trying.

Back