Refurbishing ReQuests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walukanis

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been toying around with refurbishing my Requests. Its a logical choice to do a $900 panel replacement vs selling them for $1500 and paying additional $2000-$3000 to get a comparable sound...

Now once I would be doing the panel replacement, I realize that the electronics inside the speaker is dated too and could only benefit from replacing it.

I found a ReQuests schematics on the forum here but I would like to ask you guys:

Which pieces of the crossover should be replaced. I want to replace everything that might be affecting the quality of sound I am getting. Also I assume that over the past 20 years, the caps that are produced now are having better characteristics than what was put into my beloved speakers.

I want to do a total refub of the speakers: panels, subs, and replace caps on the crossover. Let me know what else should I look into (im thinking cables inside the box could oxidize over the past 15 years too).

Greg

OK I've just done this. Big gains to be made here. First remember to use plenty of WARM sounding replacement parts to fix that slight THINNESS or lack of body that all Martin Logans suffer from. Use warm sounding CARDAS hookup wire for internals. Change the following parts.....

ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS
FILM CAPACITORS
LARGER RESISTORS
COIL INDUCTORS
PLUG SOCKETS

Hi Guys,

I have been toying around with refurbishing my Requests. Its a logical choice to do a $900 panel replacement vs selling them for $1500 and paying additional $2000-$3000 to get a comparable sound...

Now once I would be doing the panel replacement, I realize that the electronics inside the speaker is dated too and could only benefit from replacing it.

I found a ReQuests schematics on the forum here but I would like to ask you guys:

Which pieces of the crossover should be replaced. I want to replace everything that might be affecting the quality of sound I am getting. Also I assume that over the past 20 years, the caps that are produced now are having better characteristics than what was put into my beloved speakers.

I want to do a total refub of the speakers: panels, subs, and replace caps on the crossover. Let me know what else should I look into (im thinking cables inside the box could oxidize over the past 15 years too).

Greg

As a newbie I wonder if there are greater gains to be made in upgrading to newer models? Ok, ready to duck, shoot away... -Rick

As a newbie I wonder if there are greater gains to be made in upgrading to newer models? Ok, ready to duck, shoot away... -Rick

There may be, but remember that to replace with something comparable to ReQuests we are talking here $4k-$5k vs. $1.5k - $2k to get the ReQuests to factory new condition.

Greg

If by update you mean "making it new"...
Have you considered just buying a new crossover board from ML?

I have not, and certainly I need to inquire how much it would be. Im afraid the answer will be "we dont have those any more".
If by update you mean "modifying"....
Check out the thread: Modifying the Odyssey crossover - my adventure

You are clearly way more knowledgable in that matter than I am. I want to replace the current caps with a better ones/newer ones, but nothing crazy (I consider you work a crazy one :), in a positive way).

Greg

How would "returned to factory new" Requests stack up to the upgraded tech. in say the Theos or even the EM/ESL. The posted numbers don't ever tell the whole story. I do realize the Requests were near top of the line in their day. -Rick

How would "returned to factory new" Requests stack up to the upgraded tech. in say the Theos or even the EM/ESL. The posted numbers don't ever tell the whole story. I do realize the Requests were near top of the line in their day. -Rick

I think that at one moment in time they were top of the line :)

Greg

Evolved from the legendary Monolith III! You have a puzzle for certain. -Rick

ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS
FILM CAPACITORS
LARGER RESISTORS
COIL INDUCTORS
PLUG SOCKETS

So what should I focus on the most and what brands should I be looking at? Any particular pieces worth recommending? I would prefer similar physical sizes to the originals so I dont have to do any moving on the board

Regards,

Greg

Use warm sounding CARDAS hookup wire for internals.

Can you provide me with the link? They have plenty of cables and none of them seems to be the one you are talking about.

Regards,

Greg

Cost and effort?

OK I've just done this. Big gains to be made here. First remember to use plenty of WARM sounding replacement parts to fix that slight THINNESS or lack of body that all Martin Logans suffer from. Use warm sounding CARDAS hookup wire for internals. Change the following parts.....

ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS
FILM CAPACITORS
LARGER RESISTORS
COIL INDUCTORS
PLUG SOCKETS

What's the cost and effort (skill set + time) required for these modifications? Is there a write-up somewhere outlining the hows and whats? Does anyone offer a service to perform such an upgrade/upgrades?

Here is some update I got from Martin Logan:

The panels are still available for $900 and there is a chance that they will go up in price (obviously they will never go down).

The crossovers can not be bough, they do not produce them anymore and will not. I was advised to go to "martinloganowners.com" :)))

The subs are available for $322 EA :O which sounds steep... Any recommendation on which woofer I could use as a replacement that would have similar or better characteristics?

The cables used inside were Monster Cable or Kimber Cable.

I guess I am on my own with the caps. Any brand/model recommended.

WALUKANIS

For Electrolytic Capacitors the finest most exotic ones available are BLACK GATES. Second best are either ELNA SILMIC II or Nichicon. As for FILM CAPACITORS the undisputable choice is without a doubt MUNDORF. The most suitable choice for RESISTORS are MILLS. For Coil Inductors you should be looking at the Flat Ribbon type available from ALPHA-CORE or Mundorf. For IEC PLUG SOCKETS best ones are FURUTECH UP-OCC Copper models (made from purest copper in the world). IEGO are also brilliant IEC SOCKETS made from pure solid silver. The finest binding posts on the market come from CARDAS (berillium copper models only).

Here is a link below for the CARDAS Chassis wire...

http://soniccraft.com/products/wire/chassis/cardas.htm

Last edited:
Last edited:
WALUKANIS

For Electrolytic Capacitors the finest most exotic ones available are BLACK GATES. Second best are either ELNA SILMIC II or Nichicon. As for FILM CAPACITORS the undisputable choice is without a doubt MUNDORF. The most suitable choice for RESISTORS are MILLS. For Coil Inductors you should be looking at the Flat Ribbon type available from ALPHA-CORE or Mundorf. For IEC PLUG SOCKETS best ones are FURUTECH UP-OCC Copper models (made from purest copper in the world). IEGO are also brilliant IEC SOCKETS made from pure solid silver. The finest binding posts on the market come from CARDAS (berillium copper models only).

Here is a link below for the CARDAS Chassis wire...

http://soniccraft.com/products/wire/chassis/cardas.htm

Thanks a lot for the answers. Thats a great starting point for me.

Arent BLACK GATES out of production though?

Greg

Thanks a lot for the answers. Thats a great starting point for me.

Arent BLACK GATES out of production though?

Greg

Thats right but there are still plenty of unused/old stock Black Gates on the net for sale. Try Ebay. Plenty of fakes too unfortunately.

Is STD series good enough? I take it that 10uf 100V can be replaced with 10uf 250V no problem, right?

Ill try to find all 7 capactiors that are on the ReQuest crossover and replace them with Black Gates.

Greg

Latest posts

Back