Recommended AMP/Pre for Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, your options are - get an AVR with a nice amp hooked to it via the AVR outputs - or lowering the price on the amp and looking for a pre-amp as well.... I have had an amp hooked to an avr... the amp made a very BIG difference to the sound.. I used to think pre-amps didn't make that big of a difference...until I got my cary slp98p.... Now that is a tube unit - and the differences were the largest I have heard a new purchase make in my system. so I think you either decide to go the avr route with a very nice amp - and then save for the pre-amp ... or consider a nice integrated...

I'm leaning towards the AVR/Amp route and here's why: I don't have much time to myself, especially with my little 8 month old boy who keeps me entertained a lot of the time. When I do got use my audio equipment, it will likely be for HT use. I'm not an audiophile in the sense that I'm going to prop myself in front of a chair and listen to music, though I appreciate it, I'd rather have the joy of sharing a movie with my family. In fact, I own maybe a dozen CD's, at most. Definitely no LP's. So a tube pre/solidstate and pro will likely not ever get its intended use out of it.

I'm willing to bump my budget up to get myself in to a decent AVR and nice 2-Ch amp for the Vantages. I'm leaning towards these units, any experience/feedback on any of these?:
  • NAD T757
  • Integra 50.2/80.2
  • Elite SC-55/57
  • Denon 4311CI

I'm leaning towards the AVR/Amp route and here's why: I don't have much time to myself, especially with my little 8 month old boy who keeps me entertained a lot of the time. When I do got use my audio equipment, it will likely be for HT use. I'm not an audiophile in the sense that I'm going to prop myself in front of a chair and listen to music, though I appreciate it, I'd rather have the joy of sharing a movie with my family. In fact, I own maybe a dozen CD's, at most. Definitely no LP's. So a tube pre/solidstate and pro will likely not ever get its intended use out of it.

I'm willing to bump my budget up to get myself in to a decent AVR and nice 2-Ch amp for the Vantages. I'm leaning towards these units, any experience/feedback on any of these?:
  • NAD T757
  • Integra 50.2/80.2
  • Elite SC-55/57
  • Denon 4311CI

I've always liked Denons... but a lot of folks with way more experience than I will probably have other advice because I know the Integras got some really nice reviews.... If I were you - I would consider a 5 channel Sunfire amp - used on Audiogon... If you can get a Signature model - get it... I don't think you will be 'wanting' for anything else... It will be in your price range.... and your entire surround sound setup will be powered by the same amp...

Might be a bit over your budget but you might want the check out the Anthem receivers. Would potentially resolve you searching for an amp for quite some time.

GG

Might be a bit over your budget but you might want the check out the Anthem receivers. Would potentially resolve you searching for an amp for quite some time.

GG

Hmmm, I've heard about them and they always have "software updates." I'll have to sample them at the local A/V shop and give em a shot.

Latest posts

Back