Really Old new Guy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALTMAN

Reaction score
Hello folks --- I'm a hi end throw back. I just unpacked my new CLS --- long story. These are the originals which have a sticker that says "controlled line source".

Just wondered, Since many of you have re-paneled your speakers are new panels merely the old panels or are they better? Would I be better off merely buying a new set of speakers such as Spires? I have a slight bass resonance in one speaker I don't seem to be able to remove...

While the new MLs (including the Spires) are awesome, if it were me, I'd hold onto the CLS's if you have the room for them. Get the panels replaced.

Replacement panels are better than the originals.

Last edited:
Hello folks --- I'm a hi end throw back. I just unpacked my new CLS --- long story. These are the originals which have a sticker that says "controlled line source"
Are you sure it doesn't say "curvilinear line source" which is their patented service mark? Anyway, I agree with Tom, the CLS's will only go up in value, but the longer you have them, the less you'll want to part with them; so it's a wash! If your room is too small, no problem. Make it bigger -- or buy another house.

There are a couple versions of the "originals" panel-wise. Make sure when you contact ML about new panels, you have the old panels' serial numbers handy. If your old panels don't have serial nos., then use the ones on the electronics interface chassis.

While the new MLs (including the Spires) are awesome, if it were me, I'd hold onto the CLS's if you have the room for them. Get the panels replaced.

Replacement panels are better than the originals.

Thanks mucho mucho. I actually can't believe how good they sound even with the minor resonance. The room is no problem since I have a dedicated listening room which is 26 x 18 x 9 with its own 100 amp subpanel.

More on the CLS - Controlled Line Source

Are you sure it doesn't say "curvilinear line source" which is their patented service mark? Anyway, I agree with Tom, the CLS's will only go up in value, but the longer you have them, the less you'll want to part with them; so it's a wash! If your room is too small, no problem. Make it bigger -- or buy another house.

There are a couple versions of the "originals" panel-wise. Make sure when you contact ML about new panels, you have the old panels' serial numbers handy. If your old panels don't have serial nos., then use the ones on the electronics interface chassis.

Controlled Line Source Indeed... Just so NSGARCH knows I can actually read...

Attachments

• CLS-small.jpg
    CLS-small.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 181
Controlled Line Source Indeed... Just so NSGARCH knows I can actually read...
I was pretty sure you could read -- I was just hoping you hadn't been scammed! In all my years hanging around ML (about 22 and counting) I never ran accross or saw that word used. Now I'm going to have to write JP and find out when they decided 'curvilinear' sounded sexier (which it does IMO ;-)

Plot Thickens

Guys, I have the original boxes ,since I'm the only owner --- and the outside of the box says curvilinear...Not only that, the directions I was sent by the repair department for replacing the panels also show controlled line source on the electronics modules....

I reckon it's just internal confusion over what CLS actually stood for within the company...

I am a s/w engineer. I have seen the same TLAs defined differently many times in documents that refer to the same thing.

I could be wrong, however... let's wait for a more "sourced" answer...:)

Latest posts

Back