Projector Recommendation?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squasher100

Reaction score
I have an old Runco VX-1000c projector (720p) that is projected on a 116" Stewardfilm Studiotek 130 screen (116" diagonal). Do you guys think it's worth upgrading to a newer projector with 1080p? If so, any recommendations? Any thoughts on the newer 3D JVC projector (RS60/X-9) or would sticking with a newer version of the Runco or Wolf Cinema make more sense? I looked at the older JVC models and somehow wasn't impressed with the picture quality and brightness. Thanks.

I have an old Runco VX-1000c projector (720p) that is projected on a 116" Stewardfilm Studiotek 130 screen (116" diagonal). Do you guys think it's worth upgrading to a newer projector with 1080p? If so, any recommendations? Any thoughts on the newer 3D JVC projector (RS60/X-9) or would sticking with a newer version of the Runco or Wolf Cinema make more sense? I looked at the older JVC models and somehow wasn't impressed with the picture quality and brightness. Thanks.

Hi,

I project with a Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080p in my HT. It's an amazing projector at an excellent price point. I've recommended it (or Panny's latest version the AE4000) to three different co-workers, and they've all purchased it. I haven't looked at all at the new 3D projectors so can't comment there.

Note that my old projector was a Sony G90U (king of the hill there for quite some time... some folks still swear by it). I have absolutely no regrets having migrated to the Panny. You can click on my HT link below to see the specifics of my theater room. The Panny does an amazing job of filling up the big (144" diag) cinewide screen.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Definately go 1080. I am using a Sony VPL HW10 which has an amazing picture. As already mentioned , the Panasonics are also very, very good as well.

Cheers, Greg

No question the 1080P projectors are an order of magnitude better than the older generation projectors. You will be stunned at the difference.

I have been using Sony VW100 and Sony VW200 for the last 5 years. They were both top of the heap projectors with the VW200 costing 15 grand new a couple of years ago. If you compare a VW200 you will find it has a PQ and color that hasn't been bested yet in 2D IMHO. But hey it cost 15K new so it should be good. The only thing is if you are going for a new 3D 1080P projector then it is another question entirely.

It just so happens that I ordered a new 3D Projector today so I have a like new Sony VPL VW-200 wth only 510 hours on it. I will be selling at 1/3 the cost of when it was new. PM if you are interested.

If you're looking for a good projector your best bet is to heed the advice from probably the most influential website on the net WWW.PROJECTORCENTRAL.COM
Read their in depth reviews. At the moment one of the finest projectors around at this present moment and the one to have is the Epson 8700UB. A bargain at $2200 and seriously good at any price point. Unfortunately it doesn't support 3D TV though. Here's the review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8700UB_projector_review.htm Anyway I'm not bothered by 3D TV in it's present FLAWED guise, there's no way I'm gonna sit around in my house wearing sunglasses to watch TV, sounds absolutely ridiculous! The other problem is that a slight DARK TINT is evident when viewing the picture through the glasses, which I've noticed no matter which 3D model/brand of TV or projector. However if you insist on owning a 3D projector, a really good one at the moment is the Epson 8350UB (a bargain at $1300). The review of it http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8350_projector_review.htm

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Checked out your recommended site. Looks quite good.

How would you rate their HDTV product reviews?

Gordon

If you're looking for a good projector your best bet is to heed the advice from probably the most influential website on the net WWW.PROJECTORCENTRAL.COM
Read their in depth reviews. At the moment one of the finest projectors around at this present moment and the one to have is the Epson 8700UB. A bargain at $2200 and seriously good at any price point. Unfortunately it doesn't support 3D TV though. Here's the review: http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8700UB_projector_review.htm Anyway I'm not bothered by 3D TV in it's present FLAWED guise, there's no way I'm gonna sit around in my house wearing sunglasses to watch TV, sounds absolutely ridiculous! The other problem is that a slight DARK TINT is evident when viewing the picture through the glasses, which I've noticed no matter which 3D model/brand of TV or projector. However if you insist on owning a 3D projector, a really good one at the moment is the Epson 8350UB (a bargain at $1300). The review of it http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8350_projector_review.htm

Just as a note of practical usage... for anyone with a 2.35:1 screen, the lack of auto-zoom-memory in the 8700UB is a show-stopper. The AE4000 with it's Lens Memory is a God-send since it obviates the need for a panamorphic lens given its push-button zoom/focus re-alignment. Having said that though, if full 2.35:1 is a don't care, then the Epson would be a solid choice.

Cheers

Hi Dan,

Checked out your recommended site. Looks quite good.

How would you rate their HDTV product reviews?

Gordon

Unfortunately I Have no interest in HDTV's so I wouldn't know. I'm biased towards projectors and have been so for past 6 years now. I'm onto my 2nd projector now which should be my 3rd model within the next couple of weeks. I'm about to place an order for a Epson 8700 from the looks of things. The most important thing to me about a picture is blackness levels followed by sharpness. I need a minimum of 100 INCH diagonal picture for my system which is what I currently use so HDTV's are no good to me as well as being ten to a penny in this day and age.

Thank you for all the good recommendations. Has anyone compared the Panasonic / Sony / Epson with the higher end companies like Wolf Cinema or Runco? I heard that the lens used by the higher end manufacturers makes a big difference. Maybe it's just marketing....

I am not so fussed about 3D, but like to have a bright and super sharp image.

Thank you for all the good recommendations. Has anyone compared the Panasonic / Sony / Epson with the higher end companies like Wolf Cinema or Runco? I heard that the lens used by the higher end manufacturers makes a big difference. Maybe it's just marketing....

I owned the Sony G90U (RGB CRT mega-projector)... perhaps the finest lenses of any of the high-end projectors. It threw an amazing picture once properly converged and dialed-in, but my jaw hit the ground (and still stings a little) when I saw the incredibly sharp 1080p picture from the Panny.

Projectors have come a loooong way technology-wise (and value-wise) in the past 3-4 years. To my eye, there is no reason to spend the extra dough on the Runco level products. Another way to look at this, try out a Panasonic or Epson/Sony) for a few months and then sell it for a few hundred off retail if you decide it's not for you. I did exactly that with my Panny AE2000... but only because I wanted to migrate to the AE3000. Hey, come to think of it, maybe it's time to migrate to the AE4000 now...???

Good luck

Also you cannot go wrong with any of the Sony projectors... I have owned the vw60 for about 4 years and it is an amazing pj. 1080 p is stunning when done right!

I have been in to front projectors since 1981 when I talked my roomate in to buying a front projector with a 7 foot screen and watiching Indiana play for the Natioanl Championship on the day it was delivered. I have been hooked ever since and have owned Mitsubishi, Seleco, and a series of Sony's.

The lense is in fact a big part of it, but then so is the processing power, the lamp, the cooling system, the software, the DACs, the features, etc. Those things are not marketing hype, they are what it takes to do an outstanding projector.

Each time I was in the market for a new projector, I went out and spent many weeks researching and comparing picture quality of the different brands. As I got older and had more disposable income, I kept expanding the universe upward in price, looking at Digital Projection, Runco, Wolf, and top of the line Sony, Panasonic, Sim2, and others.

One point to consider and then in most cases to forget:D

One is that it is fun to go look at a $50,000 or even a $100,000 dollar projector. It is just plain fun to do and it also gives you a perspective on what the real state of the art is and how much you want to bite off to get there. Just because you look at one doesn't mean you buy it.:D If you know what I mean.

Another point to consider is that as you go up the ladder in projection units, the price does get higher and the features and PQ get better too. The reason you go look at all this stuff is to get a sense of where your own wants, needs and desires fit your pocketbook.

You try to buy the one with the most features that interest you, okay the features you can't live without and yet you are constrained by your budget. I can tell you right now when you go look at a Panasonic PT-DZ12000U the PQ will amaze you, but the price is $90K MSRP and Street Price of $60K, if that fits your pocket book then you are done.:D Done that is unless you go look at a DPI Titan at $80K with full 1080P 3D. Then you may get buyers remorse.:D

My point is most people can't drop 100s of thousands of dollars on these things. But technology has advanced so much on projectors that you can get 90% of the way there while spending closer to 5 or 10 thousand dollars. But you won't know what 90% of the way there is unless you go look at the top of the line projection systems. Once you know what at the top of the mountain you can look at the different levels in a different 'eye' so to speak. And like I said, it all depends on your pocket book, nobody elses.

When you go in to these upper tier projectors, which back then meant $100K and up...there was and there is a difference in the picture and don't let anyone tell you that you can't see the difference. Go see some of these systems yourself and you will see the difference with your own eyes.

There is a difference between a 500 dollar projector and a 1000 dollar projector, just like there is a difference between a 2000 dollar projector and a 4 or 5 thousand dollar projector and yes Virginia, there is a difference between a 5K projector and a 10K projector and a 50K projector.

Anyway, rather than picking a projector and saying this is it. I will leave you with this. I looked at projectors when I first had real disposable income in the mid-90s and found that I could get 90% of the way there for about 20K. Around 05 that price had dropped to 13K, in 08 it dropped to 10K and now it is right at 8K, I just ordered a Sony VPL VW90ES Full 1080P 3D projector for 8K. The 2D PQ is as good as projectors in the 30K plus range.

Now before anybody gets their panties in a bunch because there isn't enough 3D content. I also have 6 months worth of video and still photographs in 3D that I shot with my Fuji W-1 and W-3. Until you see a half-dozen or more hummingbirds literally flying around a feeder that is suspended in air in the room with you, you just can't understand what 3D is really all about. 3D movies and sports are cool but your own photos and videos actually take you back to that exact experience when it is done in 3D. Oh and I actaully have in my hands, AVATAR in Bluray 3D, but that is another story.:D

Bottom line go out and look at the top of the line so you can figure out how far up the ladder you want to go. And remember its the journey, not the destination that counts.

I strongly recommend one of these state of the art projectors!!! :D

7%20Movie%20or%20Slide%20Projectors%20%201915-1930.jpg

Unfortunately, all of those projectors are out of my price range.

No seriously they are.

A local fellow from the AVS forum invited me and the wife over for a Panny demo last week; we are building a dedicated theater and just started researching projectors. Our past experiences with various units left us disappointed, particulary the Runco DLPs which were pricey and quite troublesome.
The Panasonic PT4000 demo was awesome. Here was a pj that cost a fraction of what I spent on others, it threw a crisp picture on a large 2.35 screen and it even looked great up close. Zoom memory is a nice feature. Selling point for us was also the Panny's excellent reliability record.
Just to note, you wont get that kind of performance with the Panasonic on non-HD sources, which may be true of most projectors. On 2.35 HD material, you can literally sit five feet from the screen (hey, some people like to sit close) and the picture is still plenty sharp. Non HD material, even zoomed out, was still good but not as visually stunning as HD.

Tj

These days you don't need to spend $50,000 for a projector to get an awesome picture. For $2000 a Panasonic AE4000 or Epson 8700UB proves my point.

These days you don't need to spend $50,000 for a projector to get an awesome picture. For $2000 a Panasonic AE4000 or Epson 8700UB proves my point.

Which only proves my point or was it points.:D

If you look at a top of the line $50,000 dollar projector system you very well may be willing to settle for the picture produced by a $2000 dollar projector or even a $600 dollar projector.

But at least if you look at several of the top of the line projector systems you will know from first hand knowledge what is possible and what state of the art is then you can continue to chase the dragon. Hey, that's the fun part.

Afterall, I am pretty sure that Dan is not suggesting that a Panny AE4000 or Epson 8700UB can produce a picture that is equal or better than a $50,000 dollar DPI Titan Projector.

And more importantly don't settle for anyone's definition of what is good enough, look for yourself, that way you won't be dissappointed.

Which only proves my point or was it points.:D

If you look at a top of the line $50,000 dollar projector system you very well may be willing to settle for the picture produced by a $2000 dollar projector or even a $600 dollar projector.

But at least if you look at several of the top of the line projector systems you will know from first hand knowledge what is possible and what state of the art is then you can continue to chase the dragon. Hey, that's the fun part.

Afterall, I am pretty sure that Dan is not suggesting that a Panny AE4000 or Epson 8700UB can produce a picture that is equal or better than a $50,000 dollar DPI Titan Projector.

And more importantly don't settle for anyone's definition of what is good enough, look for yourself, that way you won't be dissappointed.

OK I'm confused here, maybe you can clear something up for me. According to this link http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Digital-Projection-TITAN-Reference-1080p-3D-projector.html the DPI TITAN's contrast ratio is rated at a meagre 5000:1 whilst the EPSON 8700UB is rated at a much much higher 200,000:1 contrast ratio.Theoretically the Epson should produce significantly deeper blacks. So other than a slightly sharper picture, how is the DPI's picture greater than the Epson's?

Last edited:
Having researched a number of HDTV's in the recent past, there is a similar discrepancy between the specified contrast ratio for the vast majority of plasmas versus LCD monitors.

My sense is that, at some point, these numbers become mere marketing hype and are somewhat dubious (at best) for purposes of saying Product A is better than Product B.

In the current December edition of "Home Theater", the contrast ratio for the Samsung PN58C7000 Plasma 3D HDTV is 4,724 : 1. I have seen numerous LCD specs from many manufacturers with ratios in the tens and hundreds of thousands to one. :eek:

Reminds me of the good old days when solid state amplifiers came on the scene. With massive amounts of negative feedback, manufacturers were claiming Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) levels of 0.001%. As we have all learned, that was all meaningless BS within the context of sound quality.

OK I'm confused here, maybe you can clear something up for me. According to this link http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Digital-Projection-TITAN-Reference-1080p-3D-projector.html the DPI TITAN's contrast ratio is rated at a meagre 5000:1 whilst the EPSON 8700UB is rated at a much much higher 200,000:1 contrast ratio.Theoretically the Epson should produce significantly deeper blacks. So other than a slightly sharper picture, how is the DPI's picture greater than the Epson's?

I agree Dan you are confused.:D

It sounds to me like you have not compared the Titan's PQ directy to the Epson or surely you would not ask that question. Have you ever even seen a DPI Titan?

As Gordon so eloquently pointed out, a claimed measuremet here or there doesn't always result in the effect on PQ that you would expect.

All I have said from the beginning is if the OP wants to learn just what is possible in the world of projectors then the OP needs to look at some of the higher end projectors so that he can decide at what level he wants to jump in the water, so to speak. As you go up the ladder there is a difference in PQ and features between the different classes of projectors.

The Epson and Panny you reference might be the best projectors in their class. But surely you are not suggesting that the Epson or Panny has a better overall picture than all the Projectors in the $5000 dollar class and/or $10,000 dollar class, and/or the $20,000 dollar class, and/or the $50,000 dollar class. Or that everyone should be satisfied with the features and PQ of the Panny and Epson. Although to be honest, that is what it sounds like to me.

Remember we are all different, some people can't handle color wheels, some people need motionflow, some people can't handle fringing, or ghosting and some people want to be able to use special lenses for throw or aspect ratio and some people have to have lots of lumens and some don't, and then there are some that have to have 3D, that would be me:D

Latest posts

Back