Power Handling of ML's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH

Reaction score
Why are the CLX's rated as having a power handling capacity of 225 watts? Why not 200 watts, or 250 watts: why 225 watts exactly? Does this really mean anything? I drive Prodigy's with an amp capable of at least 700 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load and they have never complained - quite the opposite in fact.

So why does ML do this? I'd be interested to hear any views on this....thanks

Must be their specific measuring procedure. Power handling is of no importance whatsoever anyway, like you say running a 1000 watt amp into speakers is a lot more safe than using a 50 watt.

I think its just an FTC requirement to list his, but as noted, one could drive a CLX with a 1000 watt sanders monoblock and be totally fine.
Matter of fact, I'd rather drive any ML with that Sanders than with a 200W amp.

The greater the current capability, the better the results.

Why are the CLX's rated as having a power handling capacity of 225 watts? Why not 200 watts, or 250 watts: why 225 watts exactly? Does this really mean anything? I drive Prodigy's with an amp capable of at least 700 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load and they have never complained - quite the opposite in fact.

So why does ML do this? I'd be interested to hear any views on this....thanks

The power rating of a speaker is how much power you can safely put into it without damage. The power rating of an amp is how much that amp can supply into the stated load. It's not a constant, which is why one can connect a 1000 amp to speakers rated at "only" 200 watts.

You are less likely to damage a speaker when driving it hard with a powerful amp than with a lesser one. The reason is that all amps will eventually clip, and this puts a lot of stress on the drivers, overloading them. You're unlikely to be driving a very powerful amp anywhere near its full power, so it is very unlikely that it'll clip.

Back