Plug speakers into wall socket or power strip or conditioner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantana

Reaction score
I just had a stereo rep say he thought Martin Logan recommends plugging directly into the wall socket rather than using a surge protector. He said i might get better sound than thru my
$79 Panamax. I also noticed my dealer didn't use a power conditioner or
surge protector. Is this pretty common ?

I just had a stereo rep say he thought Martin Logan recommends plugging directly into the wall socket rather than using a surge protector. He said i might get better sound than thru my
1) see if your dealer is running an industrial conditioner/isolator in the mains.
2) I use a surge protector for all my components. I live in lightning central (florida) and I have one wounded panamax that has earned it's purple heart.

1) see if your dealer is running an industrial conditioner/isolator in the mains.
2) I use a surge protector for all my components. I live in lightning central (florida) and I have one wounded panamax that has earned it's purple heart.

That's a good point about the industrial conditioner. I asked the sales
rep and he said they just plugged directly in the wall. Maybe they
had protection in the mains and he wasn't aware of it.

I'm originally from Daytona, so i know all about the daily summer
thunderstorms in Florida so i wouldn't consider going without
protection there. Currently i live in Denver, so may work here.

Mine run through a Shunyata Hydra. We get some pretty wicked tropical storms here in Queensland too so I'm happy they're protected.

As for sound - my entire system runs through the Hydra and the sound is much better with more contrast. Haven't really noticed or missed dynamics which some people speak of.

I also live in Florida and my entire system runs off of the "PANAMAX MAX 5400-EX" power conditioner.

h299M5400EX-fp.jpg

Mine run through a Shunyata Hydra. We get some pretty wicked tropical storms here in Queensland too so I'm happy they're protected.

As for sound - my entire system runs through the Hydra and the sound is much better with more contrast. Haven't really noticed or missed dynamics which some people speak of.

You know...a ListenUp audio rep was recommending the Shunyata
Hydra as an alternative to upgrading my Musical Fidelity A5
solid state amp to the A1008 integrated which has a tube
preamp section. He said i might not realize much of a difference
in the amps but the Shunyata might take the edge or glare
from the Logans. What do you think about this? Currently
i have my electronics running through a Monster Cable
HT3500 conditioner. Do you think a power conditioner could
have that much of an effect? I've always been skeptical of
the expensive power conditioner and cable claims.

And that's one of my main concerns about conditioners....
i.e. filtering out some of the sound or dynamics.

Last edited:
Go to a Running Springs or Shunyata dealer and take one home for a test on your system. it is pretty simple, if it doesn't make a big difference, then just return it and go with something cheap. No harm no foul and you can prove something to yourself, instead of reading what everyone else hears or doesn't hear. I would bet you will hear a very noticable difference.

I have to have power conditioning due to my electric service in a rural setting. I started with cheap stuff and did not notice any sonic detail that high end conditioners often refer to. Then I went up the food chain, first to a PS Audio Power Plant Premier it was very nice and did sound noticeably better than the cheap stuff.

But based on one of TonePub's recommendations, I did a shootout with the Running Springs Audio line and they did beat the PS Audio PPP head to head because of the amplifier demands of my system.

Running Springs Audio is the real deal, no limiting of power or dynamics and black background that is scary quiet. All of this was just as TonePub descibed, so I bought 4 RSA units including the new Dmitri.

You can read his RSA reviews in Tone Audio Magazine. The bottom line is that TonePub tells you what to listen for and when I demo the stuff I can hear exactly what he describes, it doesn't get much easier than that.

Hopefully what he describes is what you like.....otherwise.:rolleyes:

I use a surge/spike arrestor at my main circuit breaker panel for the whole house (it cleans high frequency also). I use a power strip (has no surge or spike protection in it) from Synergistic Research (QLS-9) which has 9 outlets (all have gone through Quantum Tunneling).

My CLSs are plugged into a PS300.The resultant sound is a bit more refined, and I do not notice any downsides.

Back