Planning a new system -- Is the kid right?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the kid has a point it is this: ML's tend to be highly directional and their sweet spot is smaller than point source speakers; therefore, depending on how many seats you have in your theater you may be better off going point source.

I saw the store Overture recommended on this board (oh thank you, ye wise men of this board), and visited the Lewes DE store today. After showing a very helpful staffer the pics and layout of the room (see my post above), he demo'ed a Fresco / Grotto system for me.

In the process, I got a pitch to relocate the TV to above the fireplace. And to mount the Frescos high ... the center channel above the TV, and the front left and right to positions closer to the room corners, all mounted horizontally, and angled down.

In one sense that makes some sense if I can get into the TV mounted that high.

My question ... I question having speakers mounted so high. Is that an issue? Especially the center channel.

Thoughts?

In one sense that makes some sense if I can get into the TV mounted that high.

My question ... I question having speakers mounted so high. Is that an issue? Especially the center channel.

Thoughts?

I have my center channel high and have never found it to be an issue.

The Tv on the other hand might be a problem, I've seen systems with the Tv mounted above the fireplace and found watching them uncomfortable with the screen mounted that high.

I hear you.

Eye level to slightly above is perfect for a TV, and ear level for speakers. But no doubt one can push the envelope a little

Does anyone have any rules of thumb for how high is too high, in terms of angles / degrees? You can solve some of the height issue by pushing furniture back a bit, which changes angles.

A good loudspeaker is a good loudspeaker. If it sounds great for movies, it should should great for music and vice versa.
In my (humble!) opinion, a wall mounted Script will work better than the other wall mount M-Ls, because the Scripts are electrostatic mid/high, all the others are not.
I compared the Frecos to the Scripts, no comparison, the Frescos sounded mechanical by comparison. The Frescos have the same, if not simialr tweeter and mid driver as the Ticket, Vignette, etc, etc etc.
Regards, Chris

ML does not show Scripts on their website as an available product.

Am I missing something?

Scripts are still listed under Applications on M-L Canada

Could be because I go to the home page, click on North America, then Canada (I live in Canada).
Go to this link
http://www.ca.martinlogan.com/frontpage.htm
click on "Applications", which will bring up several menus and sub menus, go to "Surround/Effects", then "Wall Mount", then you will see "Script i".
Maybe it's just old stock in Canada????? Strange, M-L doesn't seem to have replaced the Script with anything electrostatic.
Anyone have any comments?

The scripts and script i's have been discontinued. Martin Logan doesn't currently sell a wall-mount electrostatic speaker (unless, of course, you want to try and mount a pair of source's on the wall).

Rich and I have respectfully expressed differing opinions on the merits of home theater elsewhere. But I'll give my take on a different aspect of it here.

[..............]

Anyway, that's just my take on it. I'm not saying a huge ML surround system is a bad idea if that's what is important to you, it's just not how I prioritize my sound. My music means a lot to me, and home theater is just... sounds that match the image.
What he said !!

100% in agreement with you MotorToad - just wanted to give you my support.

Back