Photos from Audio Soutions, Indy Open House w/CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webinattor

Reaction score
Photos from Audio Solutions, Indy Open House w/CLX

I had a blast at this open house featuring the CLX in Indianapolis. Really fun to meet the guys from Martin Logan and Audio Solutions and even meet some forum members. (The free beer was a hit, too.)

The CLX sure beat my Aerius I's! When I got home they looked sooooo tiny. Upstairs they had an ML theater all around and I really liked the way the ML's sounded in the surround channels. Anyway, here's a few photos I shot.

audiosolutions1.jpg

audiosolutions2.jpg

audiosolutions3.jpg

audiosolutions4.jpg

audiosolutions5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like there's both tube and solid state gear there - did you get to try both? If so, what did you think?

Wowzas, that's a serious setup! :bowdown:

However, while I haven't heard the CLX, and I kind of feel like a heretic saying this, with a budget to afford that kind of system I don't think I'd go with Martin Logans.

However, while I haven't heard the CLX, and I kind of feel like a heretic saying this, with a budget to afford that kind of system I don't think I'd go with Martin Logans.

You can't get away with saying that without saying why. Or we'll shoot you at dawn!:D

I was very impressed with some of the speakers I heard at RMAF 2008 in the $30-50k range (I realize that's more than the CLXs, but there's a lot in that photo other than just the speakers), plus for me personally I think the CLXs are too big. I would need a very large room if I were to seriously consider buying CLXs.

Among the aforementioned speakers from RMAF were the Raidho speakers featured in the Nordost room. I don't remember what model they were, but they ran $35k (which is no where near the company's high end speakers). I think they were not even as big as the ML Source, and produced what I would describe as by far the best sound I've heard out of speakers of their size, and darn good sound by any metric.

EDIT: http://aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=89 these are the speakers I'm referring to.

Last edited:

Yep, you haven't heard the CLX....

Yep, you haven't heard the CLX....

Agreed, I recently auditioned the Magico V-3, and while a real joy to listen to, at it's price point one could put together what you're doing Jeff....CLX's and a pair of Descent i's. Not having heard that combo, I'm willing to bet money it would surpass the V-3 and put MANY more exspensive speakers to shame !

I've heard the V3 and the CLX (London show report). The CLX is markedly better, though the V3 is very good.

Looks like there's both tube and solid state gear there - did you get to try both? If so, what did you think?

This room was really dark when I was there so it was pretty difficult to see what was running when I listened. I shot these photos with a flash...too dark for available light shots.

I do know the Macintoshes were running (beauty) and they were playing straight CD's through a touch screen media center of some sort. I didn't really see the tube stuff until I viewed my photos.

A few of us who listened to the CLX's are musicians and we were commenting the midbass during the demo's was very impressive.

Another room was demoing the Spires and I thought they sounded very good, too. Much better bass than my older ML's.

what are the stands you guys have the spires on?

Like Webinattor, I was at the Audio Solutions Martin Logan demo night. They had two rooms right next to each other. One room was set up with the CLX as you saw in the pics. Then you could step through the door and the other room had Summits. A guy I know from my golf club was there to compare the CLX to the Summits which he already owns. So we did a couple of comparisons, by playing a song or two on the CLXs and then taking the CD into the Summit room and playing it again. He recognized the immediate and obvious difference. Simply put the Summts are great, but the CLX just has more of everything. Audio Solutions had the ML rep bring in a Depth i just for the CLX demo. At first they set it up without the CLX crossover board. They all agreed that it just didn't sound right. They put in the board and the sub add low end punch and bass support for the CLX but it basicly disappeared and beccame very non-directional. Martin Logan has done a phenominal job witht the new crossover boards for the Descent and Depth subs when matched with the CLX. During the first half of the night the CLXs were played without the Depth i, then for the second half of the night the Depth i was added in. It was interesting, because when I first started listening I thought the Depth i was on and so did most of us in the room. When they turned it on, it did add punch and took the CLXs to new lows, but for most of the music that was played the CLXs handled bass so well that like I said, several of us thought the Depth i was on and it wasn't. I asked about the Depth and was told that they had moved it around for a couple of hours that day trying to dial the Depth in. They settled on a spot behind and to the right of the right hand CLX. They said the bass just snapped into place just like when they moved the CLXs around to get them dialed in. That said, how could you not have a great time, free beer, free wine, free food, free snacks, and Free Bird on CLXs, WOW.

The Spires were upstairs in the Home theater room. They had Spires, Stage, and Sources in the rear with Transformers on a 96 inch HiDef screen and SACD player for multichannel music. The HT setup sounded really nice. When you couple the open airiness sound of ML speakers with a good surround system it changes from just listening to music to an immersive 3D reality experience of the music. Audio Solutions and ML did a great job and if I was a betting man, I would bet that they sold at least one more CLX system because of there efforts.

Of course it always depends on personal taste, associated electronics and your room. But I would have to say the CLX/Descent (and I'm trying to get a pair of Depth's in here to try as well) certainly stacks up very favorably with a lot of 100k speakers I've heard in terms of dynamic range, tonal accuracy and overall musicality.

But again a pair of CLX's and subs will take a pretty good sized room to give their best and are probably a little bit more amplifier dependent as well, so it's always a trade off.

However, I think if you love the panel sound (and you've obviously come here to hang out because of that) the CLX is pretty amazing.

Yes, it's quite a bit more musically revealing than the Summit, but it's over twice the price. I'm happy that there is a definite increase in performance as you move up the ML line, it's not that way with every speaker!

Back