Lexicon pawns off an Oppo BDP83 as theirs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a $500 OPPO can easily get to $3000, especially when you add in the hi-end retail store's margin, which normally is WAY higher than that of the discount store. So don't get all upset at a $3000 tweaked OPPO.

Maybe if you're naïve enough to belive Lexicon actually pay full retail price for their batch of thousands?? of Oppo players.

My point - with what Lexicon are paying for the Oppo players (versus what they have actually done to develop the product [nothing]), Lexicon could probably sell their player for $USD499 (same retail as Oppo) and still turn a profit!

This is the most unethical thing I've heard about in a long time.

Yes, you're right. There is no shortage of tweaked products using other people's parts, but in cases of which I approve, there are two things well known to me:

1: The origin of the product
2: What modifications have been done.
and;
3: They sell for a marginal premium, commensurate with what has been done.

Example: The Ah NjoeTjoeb valve-modified Marantz players. Origin is known [Marantz], modifications are known [valves, output stage, et al] and modest premium over Marantz (not 7 times the price!!)

They have the audacity to simply stick a stock Oppo player in a larger, nice looking box and slap a nice faceplate on it and screw it back together and sell it for $3k? How dare they! Lexiocon has just lost all of their credibility imo and I will make sure I will never own any of their products again! Shame on them - what do they think we are that stupid??? Don't they know that word spreads fast in 2010?
I guess if you have more money than sense and just "have" to have their Blu Ray player to match the rest of your system, more power to ya!

Latest posts

Back