Oppo 980H as transport?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
After lots of deliberation, I just ordered an Oppo 980H Universal Player, for both video and CD/SACD playback. I'm already using my Squeezebox/Benchmark DAC combo 95% of the time for audio, so decided NOT to invest significant $$ into a new high-end transport. The 980H reportedly has BETTER audio performance than the more full-featured (video-wise) 981HD. For $170 shipped (from Amazon), I figured I can't go wrong, especially feeding two-channel out to the Benchmark. Only concern I have is that I've read the default HDMI settings need to be changed in order to get the best audio performance.

Anybody else using the 980H in their setup? If so, what settings do you recommend?

Ahhh... answered my own question by d/l the manual. The advantage of the 980H (over the 981HD) is the remote has an "Audio Only" button which turns off the HDMI/video circuitry, thereby giving a cleaner pure audio signal. With the 981HD, you need to delve into the setup menus to accomplish that.

Alan, the 980H is the one that passes the DVD-A and other hi-rez signals as PCM over the HDMI, right?

If so, it should be a great value as a basic transport.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Yep! I plan to feed digital coax to my Benchmark DAC, and HDMI to the video end. Next upgrade will be a new receiver with HDMI pass thru, probably one of the new Yamaha's. My video setup will never be as sophisticated as yours, so I'm not even looking at full-fledged video processors. ;)

Last edited:
After lots of deliberation, I just ordered an Oppo 980H Universal Player, for both video and CD/SACD playback. I'm already using my Squeezebox/Benchmark DAC combo 95% of the time for audio, so decided NOT to invest significant $$ into a new high-end transport. The 980H reportedly has BETTER audio performance than the more full-featured (video-wise) 981HD. For $170 shipped (from Amazon), I figured I can't go wrong, especially feeding two-channel out to the Benchmark. Only concern I have is that I've read the default HDMI settings need to be changed in order to get the best audio performance.

Anybody else using the 980H in their setup? If so, what settings do you recommend?

Alan,

I use the 981HD as a transport mostly for DVD-A and SACD. I see that you found the 'audio only', tweak, and that you are sending the bitstream out via coax to your Benchmark DAC. When you get the new receiver you can start send the digital out via HDMI. This will allow you to send up to 24 bit, 192KHz PCM from SACDs and DVA-As straight to DAC in the receiver. At that time there is one more tweak you need , you must set the video resolution up to 720p or 1080i. when using HDMI the audio bandwidth is a function of the video bandwidth, so you need to use the high video rates in order to send high audio rates as well.

I hope you enjoy your Oppo as much as I do mine, I think it is the best bargain in transports on the market today.

--burke

OK, here's a quickie update. I've had the Oppo 980H hooked up for about 3 days now, and am VERY impressed, from both the audio and video perspectives. I'll preface my comments by admitting I've never owned a dedicated "high-end" transport, so I can only compare this to my former Toshiba SD-3750 CD/DVD player, and current Squeezebox setup, both feeding digital coax into my Benchmark DAC.

First off, it's mindboggling how Oppo packed so much functionality into such a thin/compact box. Despite it's demure size, and somewhat flimsy and shallow plastic disc tray, it really packs a wallop in performance. Playing only Redbook CD's and XRCD's thus far (need to get some SACD's), bass is definitely more extended, and tighter, while treble has a bit more "sparkle" than the old Toshiba. I haven't noticed any significant difference in midrange, soundstage, or overall imaging. The Squeezebox (into the Benchmark), by comparison, sounds a tad warmer, or "organic" as some might say. Overall, I'd say they both achieve a similar level of audiophile performance. Of note, the Oppo does have a little higher default output gain, compared to the Toshiba or Squeezebox. I've also played around with the various Oppo settings, but thus far, switching between "raw" vs. "pcm" digital output doesn't seem to make much difference. Nor have I noticed any significant difference when switching to "audio only" mode, which turns off all video circuitry. I suspect the Benchmark DAC is so good at 'de-jittering' that it is filtering any audio grunge that would otherwise taint the Oppo's analog output.

I've only watched limited video thus far, but only with two-channel sound, as I don't have an HDMI capable receiver/processor yet, and don't want to bother running five RCA cables to my old Yamaha. I'm sure it will really shine in a 5.1 setup. It's video performance is very impressive, with superb upsampling and myriad disc handling capabilities (including most formats I don't even own yet!). When I visited JonFo, he played the Animusic II DVD (highly recommended), which I also have. Unfortunately, the Toshiba wouldn't play that disc without choking. Conversely, the Oppo handles it with aplomb. With HDMI output direct to my Sony XBR4, the detail, colors, and sharpness are incredible! Simultaneously feeding the audio through my ML setup, makes for a phenomenal A/V experience. My only negative finding at this point, is that there is a few millisecond delay between the digital coax and HDMI audio outputs, so you get a slight echo if you try using the HDTV speakers in addition to your main audio setup. However, it's easy enough to mute the HDTV as needed. Eventually, I'll be getting an HDMI capable receiver (likely a Denon with Audyssey), which should rectify that problem, as I'll feed ALL the audio through that single processor with 5.1 material.

The Oppo does a great job upsampling older material to 1080p, and I find it hard to believe the 981HD could possibly be even better (that model supposedly has a more robust video processor).

Thus far, for $170 (shipped), I am extremely happy with the Oppo 980H. Like the Squeezebox, this component is a superb value, creatively engineered by a small company with a strong customer service focus, favoring performance over bling. As a bonus, it's nice having extra $$ in my pocket to invest in more high-res recordings.

Hopefully, our local Tampa contingent will arrange a side-by-side comparison of the Oppo vs. Craig's Wadia and/or George's Esoteric, which might prove more revealing.

Last edited:
Ahhh... answered my own question by d/l the manual. The advantage of the 980H (over the 981HD) is the remote has an "Audio Only" button which turns off the HDMI/video circuitry, thereby giving a cleaner pure audio signal. With the 981HD, you need to delve into the setup menus to accomplish that.

I have an Oppo 981HD, and I've been wondering why a lot of folks seem to choose the 980 over the 981, when there's only about $30 difference in the price. I've heard both playing straight stereo and 5.1, and to my ears, as a player (without an external DAC) the 981 wins hands down. Even knowing about the "Audio-only" on the remote, I think I'd still go with the 981...

I also use my 981 as a transport, and I also use it to feed a Benchmark DAC1-USB via the coax PCM digital output, and it sounds REALLY good. Not as good at an Esoteric or Wadia (or even Krell) dedicated CD transport, but it's really close to my ears. I have a Sony ES3100es DVD player, and as a transport feeding the Benchmark (AND as a straight player), the Oppo leaves the Sony in the dust, and the Sony retails for $500.

The only under-$1000 player I've heard that even touches the Oppo is the Rega Apollo, and it's a dedicated CD player, not a "universal" unit. Some of the Marantz DVD players come close on SACDs and 5.1 movies, but they are mostly over $1000...

No matter which Oppo you choose, I think they are the best "bang for the buck" in the DVD/CD/Univeral market. As players they are pretty sweet, have VERY good video, and do 5.1 decoding very well. As transports, they are unmatched in the "under-$1000" class, and the fact that they play DVDs (and, pretty much ANY format on a silver disc) is just icing on the cake.

I know there are several folks on the Carver Forum that have bought Oppo's based on my recommendations and my demonstration at the "CarverFest" we had earlier this year. I bought my Oppo based purely on the recommendations of folks here on the ML Forum, and I'm happy I did. The Oppo is one of the biggest bargains in audio today--it's amazing that so many people have never even heard of them!

You've got a great combo there--the Benchmark is also a "sleeper" in the audio world, and although pricey (compared to mid-fi gear), it's a veritable steal compared to anything that can touch it sonically, like Krell, ARC, Theta, etc. The Benchmark/Oppo combo can be had for under $1300--Where else can you get this level of resolution, fidelity, and versatility for that price? The answer: Nowhere...

--Richard

Last edited:
I have the Oppo 981 in my HT system and it certainly is an incredible value. The video upconverting is significantly better than than standard DVD but not quite at the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD level. It falls in between but there is of course much more DVD media available.

I previously owned a Cary DVD-6 player and the video from standard DVDs very good but I think the Oppo's video is even better. However, the Cary is superb on redbook CDs and even at $1,000 for a used model is worth it as excellent sounding redbook CD player with volume control that also happens to play DVDs and the rare 24/96 Hi-Rez DVDs. I wish I kept that Cary.

SACD is just OK on the Oppo but I find DVD-Audio is where it really shines. I suspect that universal disc players don't really bring out the true potential of SACDs like the dedicated SACD's players do. Although they are a step up from redbook CDs and allow you to take advantage of the 5.1 feature of surround SACDs. My Wadia SACD player consistently brings out the best that SACD has to offer. Come on over someday and we'll do some A-B-C comparisons.

OK, I'm stumped!

For some reason, I'm NOT able to play SACD digital output from the Oppo via my Benchmark DAC. I'm using the Oppo digital coax out, which works great for redbook CD's. I've also tried TOSlink, still no go. I've tried both the RAW and PCM audio output settings, but no luck. The SACD plays fine via the Oppo analog RCA's feeding my Modwright linestage, so I know the disc is good.

Am I wrong in assuming that SACD digital outputs can be fed to an outboard DAC?

Ahhh! Just answered my own question... the SACD format apparently prohibits digital outputs! So, analog outputs it is!

Last edited:
OK, I'm stumped!

For some reason, I'm NOT able to play SACD digital output from the Oppo via my Benchmark DAC. I'm using the Oppo digital coax out, which works great for redbook CD's. I've also tried TOSlink, still no go. I've tried both the RAW and PCM audio output settings, but no luck. The SACD plays fine via the Oppo analog RCA's feeding my Modwright linestage, so I know the disc is good.

Am I wrong in assuming that SACD digital outputs can be fed to an outboard DAC?

Ahhh! Just answered my own question... the SACD format apparently prohibits digital outputs! So, analog outputs it is!

Yes, due to copy protection, digital output of SACD and DVD-A (not DVD-V) is prohibited. You can get the digital bitstream via the HDMI port. Most of the newer receivers can pick this up play it via their on board DACs. That is how I have mine connected.

I only own *ONE* SACD (a hybrid), so hadn't read much about the format. I tried to figure out how to force the Oppo to read the CD layer, in order to compare the two, but it automatically defaults to SACD. Oh well.

I only own *ONE* SACD (a hybrid), so hadn't read much about the format. I tried to figure out how to force the Oppo to read the CD layer, in order to compare the two, but it automatically defaults to SACD. Oh well.

You can set the default on the setup page. give me a call if you have any questions.

--burke

Latest posts

Back