Online electrical engineering degree??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominick22

Reaction score
I have been looking for some time to pursue an EE degree, but with working full time, it is truly not feasable.

??????????????Does anyone know of an online EE program???????????????

I realize this is a very hands on sort of curriculum, but I would like to at the very least get started. I already have a couple of associates degree, but I think I would like to focus on EE with audio engineering in the back of my mind.

I live in Ohio (which does not matter for distance or online learning) and would love to attend OSU or some in-class institution, but just cannot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Also, should I be considering other degrees since my ultimate goals will be in audio??

Feeling frustrated,
Dominick

One caveat, if your degree doesn't have ABET certification, it might find it to be worth less than... well, you know the joke.

Beware of undergraduate on-line degrees. As Motortoad pointed out, if the program isn't ABET acredited, I would stay away.

Keep in mind that many engineering schools offer distance learning for graduate courses/certificates. This is because, in some cases, you can earn a masters of science (in engineering), or masters of engineering (this often means a graduate degree with no thesis, but there are exceptions) by simply taking the required classes. In some cases you need to pass the qualifying exam (that the doctoral students take) if you elect not to purse the thesis option.

However, most Universities don't offer on-line undergraduate degrees because there are numerous lab courses and group projects. Also, the number of credit hours for an engineering degree is well over 100 (maybe closer to 140 or 150 total hours). Taking that part time (1-2 classes a semsester via the internet) would take forever - maybe over 6 years to complete.

Also, the number of credit hours for an engineering degree is well over 100 (maybe closer to 140 or 150 total hours). Taking that part time (1-2 classes a semsester via the internet) would take forever - maybe over 6 years to complete.
Good point! As an example, my BS/EE from U of F was a four-year program. Not a "four year degree," it was four years at full time after arriving with an AA. Eight semesters, plus three full-time summer semesters...

Thanks to all who have responded.

Why is ABET so important?

I found some schools today that were accredited by the DETC- Distance Education and Training Coucil.

Are these adequate schools or would I be wasting my time?

I will inquire Drexel although I cant imagine they have a complete online program????

Thanks again so much,
Dominick

ABET merely signs off that the school asks enough of the students so they won't be producing blithering idiots. After hiring a blithering idiot or four from North Eastern Idaho Multiple Choice Institute of Charity, most companies won't even consider degrees from Unis that aren't ABET, at least for fresh graduates with no experience in the world.

This is one online schools accredidation description. I know its long...but is it all fluff??

Penn Foster is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools for our High School and Vocational-Technical programs. Penn Foster is also accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council, in Washington, D.C. Additionally, we are licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools for our High School and vocational programs. Our Associate Degree programs are licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. In addition, Penn Foster has been reviewed and approved as an Authorized Provider of continuing education and training programs by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). This means you can earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for the Penn Foster career diploma programs you've completed. CEUs serve as a nationally recognized unit of measure for continuing education and training. Most Penn Foster degree programs have been successfully evaluated for college credits by the American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service. If you choose to advance your education beyond your Associate Degree, you may qualify for residential college credits as a result of your graduation from a Penn Foster degree program. If you are planning to continue your education with another school after you earn your degree from Penn Foster, you should check with that school regarding credit transfer policies. Credits earned in our programs may transfer to some, but not all, learning institutions. Penn Foster degree courses have been reviewed by the ACE College Credit Recommendation Service and are listed in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Many colleges use the recommendations made by ACE to determine credit transfer values We always suggest that the prospective student contact local agencies, businesses, colleges, etc. for their requirements and the recognition of distance education programs.

Dominick

It depends on who's hiring you. If, say, GE wants ABET certification then the school can be accredited by the Prince of Wales and Bill Gates but it won't make a difference. Most smaller places I've seen don't have requirements like that but if your resume with an unaccredited school they've never heard of is sitting next to a resume that says "University of Michigan" you're probably not even going to get a phone call. :rolleyes:

This is one online schools accredidation description. I know its long...but is it all fluff??

Penn Foster is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools for our High School and Vocational-Technical programs. Penn Foster is also accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council, in Washington, D.C. Additionally, we are licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools for our High School and vocational programs. Our Associate Degree programs are licensed by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education. In addition, Penn Foster has been reviewed and approved as an Authorized Provider of continuing education and training programs by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). This means you can earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for the Penn Foster career diploma programs you've completed. CEUs serve as a nationally recognized unit of measure for continuing education and training. Most Penn Foster degree programs have been successfully evaluated for college credits by the American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service. If you choose to advance your education beyond your Associate Degree, you may qualify for residential college credits as a result of your graduation from a Penn Foster degree program. If you are planning to continue your education with another school after you earn your degree from Penn Foster, you should check with that school regarding credit transfer policies. Credits earned in our programs may transfer to some, but not all, learning institutions. Penn Foster degree courses have been reviewed by the ACE College Credit Recommendation Service and are listed in the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Many colleges use the recommendations made by ACE to determine credit transfer values We always suggest that the prospective student contact local agencies, businesses, colleges, etc. for their requirements and the recognition of distance education programs.

Dominick

Not it's not all fluff, but as Motortoad pointed out, if you are looking to work as an EE in your current town, then take a look at the companies and who they typically hire. Once you get a few schools nailed down, you can look into the curriculum and compare that to the school you are looking at, you should be able to compare the accreditation. The accredidation is important for various reasons, but it's not the end-all-be-all.

I would say this all depends on what your goals are. If you are looking to switch careers, then I recommend following through with the best training you can afford. That means attending a fully accredited school with an established engineering program. Engineering (especially electrical engineering) is no cake-walk when you consider the amount of time you spend in the labs, learning various programming codes, and, of course, all of the fundamentals (physics, calc I-III, chemistry, and so on).

If you are looking to simply gain some knowledge in a specific area, then I don't see the harm in taking the distance learning. Another thing you could look into is to see if a school ,like OSU, would accept the credits from the distance learning school. It might be possible to take as many classes as possible and then shuttle the credits over to OSU (or wherever) and eventually earn the degree. You are trying to make the time count. There are many, many on-line schools that are more than willing to take your hard earned money, but not provide you with a very good degree.

Not it's not all fluff, but as Motortoad pointed out, if you are looking to work as an EE in your current town, then take a look at the companies and who they typically hire. Once you get a few schools nailed down, you can look into the curriculum and compare that to the school you are looking at, you should be able to compare the accreditation. The accredidation is important for various reasons, but it's not the end-all-be-all.

I would say this all depends on what your goals are. If you are looking to switch careers, then I recommend following through with the best training you can afford. That means attending a fully accredited school with an established engineering program. Engineering (especially electrical engineering) is no cake-walk when you consider the amount of time you spend in the labs, learning various programming codes, and, of course, all of the fundamentals (physics, calc I-III, chemistry, and so on).

If you are looking to simply gain some knowledge in a specific area, then I don't see the harm in taking the distance learning. Another thing you could look into is to see if a school ,like OSU, would accept the credits from the distance learning school. It might be possible to take as many classes as possible and then shuttle the credits over to OSU (or wherever) and eventually earn the degree. You are trying to make the time count. There are many, many on-line schools that are more than willing to take your hard earned money, but not provide you with a very good degree.

Point very well taken-thank you

Dominick

Not that I want to beat this dead horse, but among those that require ABET certification is the U.S. gov't. Just saw it mentioned specifically on usajobs.com. :)

Latest posts

Back