One of the ElectroMotion ESL making tick and pops

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain-m

Reaction score
Hi. Just a question about one of my ElectroMotion ESL. What is happening is I am getting random tick and popping sounds when the power is applied, and there is no input signal. It does not happen all the time, and is random. The sound goes away eventually after the power is turned off on power bar, and even swapped out powerbar. Tried swap the supply on the other side, same issue. I guess it started about a year after bought them in 2013. When I was at the Audio Show in Toronto last fall, the rep from M/L said it might be dust. I did use a Swiffer duster to clean the panel on both sides, but still makes the random noise. I suspect it might be the X-over/amp or cold solder or bad capacitor. Anyone else have this? I have the email address for service if need to send out for repair. Thanks.

Hola captain-m,
Usually your problem is a debris at the panel. Try to find from where it coming the thicks and pops. If you have a debris making noise, you can spot right where the noise is located at the panel. Leave overnight unplugged the speaker, and with the aid of an vacuum cleaner, just vacuum the zone with the noise. If you read the Electromotions instructions, almost at the end of the manual, read the part dedicated to funny noises. Also, all electrostatic speakers are culprit to make noises once and them. You can brush the part from where the noise is...

I hope this could help!
Happy listening!

Had the same thing happen, had to replace the panel. Later after doing more investigation it looks like the soldering of the wires to the stat fell apart. Best trying to clean first, and if issue comes back replace the panel via warranty with ML.

Ok thanks guys. Giving a vacuuming a try. The other main ESL had not given any problems.

I did use my vacuum on the troubling Eloectrmotion-ESL to remove any particles. I will post in a couple days if it worked or not. Cheers.

Well I vacuumed out the trouble panel yesterday, and it still does tick and pop occasionally, but not as much today. I have concluded it is an Internal issue, not external issue. Maybe a bad capacitor, cold solder or the like as I suspected. At least I have a pair of motion 20s (which does not require an external supply for amplification) as the rear surrounds to use as from main as temporary use if an when I take the trouble speaker in for repair. The unit is over 5 years old now and suspect the warranty has expired.

Well I vacuumed out the trouble panel yesterday, and it still does tick and pop occasionally, but not as much today. I have concluded it is an Internal issue, not external issue. Maybe a bad capacitor, cold solder or the like as I suspected. At least I have a pair of motion 20s (which does not require an external supply for amplification) as the rear surrounds to use as from main as temporary use if an when I take the trouble speaker in for repair. The unit is over 5 years old now and suspect the warranty has expired.

I have Spires and had the same problem. No amount of vacuuming would elimate the ticks/pop/whine. I could see a very light residue on most of the clear spars in the panel and was sticky when touched with a quetip (speakers kept in smoke-free environment). I did not seperate the stator & grills but removed the panel from the cabinet then used a Microfiber with long fibers and distilled water to get under the front & rear grills to clean the panels to the point there was no residue left then used some compressed air to dry and let them sit for a day. The panel is now dead silent and sounds great!!

Back