Okay... I'm in a quandary....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
My beloved Trio receiver from the early 60s is slowly dying. Look up my thread World's nastiest HT setup? and you'll see a picture of it. Trio later became Kenwood. I figure it's pretty rare, and I hope any Japanese forum members can shed some light on it.
Here's the issue: it comes down to sentimental value. I bought it at a thrift store for five dollars about twelve years ago, at a time when my disposable income was about zero. That day it was either lunch or the receiver, and the receiver won! I slowly got it working as mad money allowed, and I enjoyed it for awhile as my main system. I got to listen to a lot of music that was popular during the 90s, and it also got me acquainted with many other forms of music as well. Therein lies the problem for me. Do I spend the time and money to get it working properly yet again, or do I gut it and build something else out of it, like a preamp or an integrated amp circuit of my own choosing? I'll get a better close-up shot of it, because it's really beautiful, visually speaking. Unfortunately, it only makes about 8 watts per channel with 6BM8 output tubes, so I wouldn't miss that!
So, I'd like some feedback from y'all. Do I make something new out of it, or do I perform a second restoration of it?
Thoughts please.

Does it have any value as a restored piece in it's original configuration? , if so then do it !

The nice thing is, if it's a tube amp the troubleshooting shouldn't last long: buy new tubes! :D I think your asking this question answers the question, though. If it didn't matter you'd have already binned it.

American tubed stuff from the '60's can be worth a fortune. Don't know what yours is worth, but it might fetch more than you expect. Hold on to it. Also, tubes from that era produce a really nice, relaxed sound.

Hola. Also, because of amp's age, there must be bad capacitors and some resistors out of original value. Thinking loud, the amp is not too big, and there are not too many components to check. Use always the same value as the original, and you will have it singing again. The most common problems:musicnote: are bad tubes...and leaky capacitors. Hope this might help!
Roberto.:musicnote:

Hola. Also, because of amp's age, there must be bad capacitors and some resistors out of original value. Thinking loud, the amp is not too big, and there are not too many components to check. Use always the same value as the original, and you will have it singing again. The most common problems:musicnote: are bad tubes...and leaky capacitors. Hope this might help!
Roberto.:musicnote:
Thanks Roberto, and thanks all for your thoughts!
I re-capped it and replaced all the resistors in the audio pathways. I didn't do too much with the tuner section, since the FM is mono. I also replaced the output tubes with Sovteks, which spec out perfectly when I checked them recently. I think one or more of the coupling caps I put in all those years ago has gone bad. Problem with this receiver is that it's big, very heavy, and very complex! There's a lot to trace down to find the source of the problem. That's why I'm wondering if it's worthwhile doing. It's not in it's original condition anymore; most of the knobs were missing when I bought it, and I've also repainted it in non-original colors. Mainly it's sentimental value that's holding me back!:rolleyes: I'm sure that they're a common find in Japan anyway. The owner of the thrift store I bought it from said the original owner bought it while in the military over there. Internet searches turned up nothing.

Thanks Roberto, and thanks all for your thoughts!
I re-capped it and replaced all the resistors in the audio pathways. I didn't do too much with the tuner section, since the FM is mono. I also replaced the output tubes with Sovteks, which spec out perfectly when I checked them recently. I think one or more of the coupling caps I put in all those years ago has gone bad. Problem with this receiver is that it's big, very heavy, and very complex! There's a lot to trace down to find the source of the problem. That's why I'm wondering if it's worthwhile doing. It's not in it's original condition anymore; most of the knobs were missing when I bought it, and I've also repainted it in non-original colors. Mainly it's sentimental value that's holding me back!:rolleyes: I'm sure that they're a common find in Japan anyway. The owner of the thrift store I bought it from said the original owner bought it while in the military over there. Internet searches turned up nothing.

As a starting point, there is a power supply, then two channels. If both channels are dead, then the power supply is the suspect. If you have only one channel working, you can follow the signal with the other good channel. You are going to need a VTVM or a good multitester and some tools to work, but I think usually is not as bad as you might think it is. Be careful, letal voltage could be present in the circuit. Just take it to a qualified service tech. He will do the job with no problem...happy listening,
Roberto.

Be careful, lethal voltage could be present in the circuit.
Yeah, I kinda figured...... I've been thrown across a room from lethal voltage present in the circuit! Long story.....:cool:
Just take it to a qualified service tech. He will do the job with no problem...happy listening,
Roberto.
Well.... as a matter of fact I AM the qualified service tech! I service, upgrade, repair and brew my own stuff! And other's stuff too, from time to time.... but y'all don't get any bright ideas!:D
I'm still debating whether I've reached a point of diminishing return with that old receiver. One channel goes snap, crackle, pop from time to time, and so far I haven't isolated it yet. I'm sure it's a capacitor, but there's a lot of them in there!
Anyway, thanks all for the continuing thoughts and support!

Back