New to Martin Logan - in over my head?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you'll take a look at my system (#60), or look at my signature, you'll see that I have Mosaics with a Fresco center channel. I bought the Mosaics first and then listened to many, many speakers auditioning for the center. The Fresco won "hands down," because of the similarities between it and the Mosaics.

The ATF tweeters and mids blend perfectly, and the aluminum woofers harmonize like sisters. I am VERY happy with my Fresco; I'm sure you would be happy with one if you purchased it. ;)

As for speaker cables, be sure and read the several threads in the Forum on wire. You might save some $$$. :D

Good Luck !!!

Neshamah (Steve)

asindc said:
To answer your question, if you approach your system with a love for music and movies, then you are not in over your head.

As far as building a system, used is definitely a great way to build a system, especially with high-end. Audiophiles tend to treat their equipment well relative to other hobbyists I've observed. I've bought used several times and have had nothing but good experiences.

Forums like this are definitely the way to go to get great advice. If you're not familiar with www.avsforum.com, browse it as well for general info on HT system building and how stuff works.

I've been an enthusiast for as long as I can remember, but I learn something new almost daily it seems. Don't let it overwhelm you. Remember to have fun building your system and you'll be fine. I'm in the process of doing the same.

Thank you ascindc. I actually stumbled upon AVS forum a month or so ago and those are the kind folks who informed me that my Bose were complete crap.

When I get the tv and wife's book and media shelves, then I'll see if I can get fit the Mosaics. If I can't fit towers, is it still a decent solution if I end up with 3 Frescos for the fronts and center? I love the Mosaics, but if they don't fit they don't fit. I could then still harbor the dream that someday the Frescos would become surrounds and Mosaics mains...

The bummer is that 3 Frescos will cost just as much as 2 Mosaics and a Fresco, with what I assume will be clearly lower quality. Still should provide a huge upgrade to the Bose though...

Daryl Zero said:
Congrats on the Grotto. I am jealous. Roberto has been posting quite a while and I have always enjoyed and learned from his messages. He truly is a gentleman and has shared his knowledge long before I ever bought these speakers.

With respect to placement, the main thing is to put them out from the wall a few feet.

Here are a couple of consumer reports including archives from this forum:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/martin-logan/PRD_327502_3646crx.aspx

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=339&highlight=mosaic+review

http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=363&page=1&pp=15&highlight=mosaic+review

You can see that some people thought the Clarity was much better than the Mosaic and others thought the Mosaic was either close or better than the Clarity.

Thank you for the links. I can't get enough of this stuff. It's funny, but "congratulations" really does seem to fit how I feel about my start into ML with the Grotto.

Perfect

Neshamah said:
If you'll take a look at my system (#60), or look at my signature, you'll see that I have Mosaics with a Fresco center channel. I bought the Mosaics first and then listened to many, many speakers auditioning for the center. The Fresco won "hands down," because of the similarities between it and the Mosaics.

The ATF tweeters and mids blend perfectly, and the aluminum woofers harmonize like sisters. I am VERY happy with my Fresco; I'm sure you would be happy with one if you purchased it. ;)

As for speaker cables, be sure and read the several threads in the Forum on wire. You might save some $$$. :D

Good Luck !!!

Neshamah (Steve)

I am sold. Mosaics and Fresco if I can make the room (the wife factor comes into play here), 3 Fresco's as a plan b.

Side note on your picture - there's no problem having the Mosaic so close to your tv? That may help me with my space problem...

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
From one newbie to another newbie.... CONGRATS!!

I just picked up a pair of Martin Logan Mosaics for $1098 at my local Tweeter and am ecstatic that I finally got my first Martin Logans.