New to Martin Logan Club

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonAudio

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been a ML owner before with a pair of ML Sequel II's. I've recently bought a pair of CLSIIZ's and am very impressed. A lot of people seem to be dissapointed with the bass response. Although not the lowest I've heard they are quite remarkable considering. The rest of the frequency spectrum is amazing. Any suggestions with respect to upgrades or room placement would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

Welcome fellow CLS owner.#1. GET THEM ON STANDS! Do not be afraid to get them out into the room. 6 feet is not a lot . .Get them apart also, they have a huge soundstage. You will find many hear with CLS . They are on the revive.
I run a Krell but there are some hear that run tubes. I like the control of the SS amps. The CLS is laid back enough. Its a world class design that is now blooming with todays amp designs. A good sub will make them even better.

Where is Stoney Creek? We have one in MI.

Last edited:
Thanks CAP for your response. I appreciate your advice and will play with them as you suggest. Although I have some room limitations, I do have some room to play. CAP, why do you suggest putting them on stands so emphatically?

I am running them with a pair of EAR 509 MKII's and a Well Tempered TT with a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, and as a digital source a Wadia 301.

I am reluctant to utilize a sub as I have never had a desirable result when mating the speed of a electrostatic with a subwoofer. I am also quite happy (so far) with the lower reaches of the CLS for my liking. One of the things that made me choose the CLS was the fact it has no crossover.

CAP, I live in Stoney Creek Ontario. It is just outside of Hamilton, or if you don't know Hamilton you probably know Toronto which is just a little further away.

Thanks again CAP, you guys sound like a bunch of great audiophiles.

Don

Stands will only bring out the best what these CLS can do. It brings the ear closer to the mid panel, and take away some of the room induced bass bounce that blurs the image up. Martin Logan recommended the older Arcci stand back in the 90 to anyone who had CLS. A good sub can integrate well with a CLS. However; If you are happy you may not like it. This I can tell you 90 % of the people who got stands wished they did way earlier. Also a good sub will make the mids and highs seem to bloom. How about some pictures !

Thanks CAP. I have purchased a pair of Arcici stands from the previous owner of my CLS IIZ's. They will require a good cleaning and a repaint. They did not come with spikes though, although I see they were intended to. Do you know the thread size? 1/4-20?. Would you suggest a particular mfg?

Also, do you know who is on MLO who best knows the CLS IIZ's? Just so I know who to engage on their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks again CAP.

Don

Don,
There are several of us who have CLS's in various forms. I would just ask away and I am sure you will get a response. :D BTW I do have CLSiiZ's

Jeff:cool:

Hello Don,
Excellent choice in speakers, I have the CLSIIa and have enjoyed them thoroughly! I used them for about a dozen years before I added the Sound Anchor speaker stands. They made a significant difference and was well worth the effort.
Welcome to the Martin Logan Club!
Ken

Thanks CAP. I have purchased a pair of Arcici stands from the previous owner of my CLS IIZ's. They will require a good cleaning and a repaint. They did not come with spikes though, although I see they were intended to. Do you know the thread size? 1/4-20?. Would you suggest a particular mfg?

Welcome Don,
Recently aquired a pair of CLS II's myself with the Arcici stands.
In the process of refinishing the frames, and hopefully will have my new panels tomorrow.

You are correct on the Thread size it's a standard 1/4-20.
Below is a link where I've ordered spikes in the past, prices are reasonable and delivery quick. I use a larger spike on the front so the panels are slightly tilted back because I like a higher soundstage, of course I'm taller than your average person so YMMV.

http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm

Last edited:
Below is a link where I've ordered spikes in the past, prices are reasonable and delivery quick. I use a larger spike on the front so the panels are slightly tilted back because I like a higher soundstage, of course I'm taller than your average person so YMMV.

http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm
FYI for anyone ordering spikes for any special projects (I ordered spikes to make amplifier stands with a high WAF): if you order standard spikes they also send you metal threaded inserts that can go into any wood into which you will be screwing the spikes. However, if you order custom spikes they do not send you threaded inserts.

I am reluctant to utilize a sub as I have never had a desirable result when mating the speed of a electrostatic with a subwoofer.

Don, welcome !

My guess is you have never heard and or had the correct sub ! For if one takes todays 'Servo based' Subs along with a good room Eq program, mixed with a couple of "ounces" of paitience and they will do ANY electrostatic justice !

Thanks theWB. Just ordered a set of spikes for my CLS's from the site you recommended. Thanks!

Back