New speakers!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
I don't change speakers very often. I take my time to find what I like and then live with them for a long time. I purchased my Aerius speakers in 1995 and they have given exemplary service, IMHO. But, I have replaced them in the main system with new Wilson Watt Puppy 8s. So far, I am absolutely loving the new sound. I'm not sure what to do with the Aerius, as they still sound great, but I will probably put them in the classifieds soon. It's really kind of sad to even be thinking about selling them after all this time with them. Anyway, it's been a long, good run with Martin Logan and I expect (hope) it will be the same with Wilson.

Here's a pic of one of the Wilsons...
980130006_4r7Qk-M.jpg

Last edited:
To bad Im so far away I would take the speakers off your hands....enjoy the new toys.

Way to go, Steve. They look great. I can't wait to audition when I come out to Austin for a visit. Not sure when that will be, but sometime in the next year or so.

Just curious: did you audition the CLX/Descent i combo when making your decision? Please let us know how they sound as you break them in.

Thanks Rich. No, I didn't audition the CLX. These sound great in smaller rooms, as well as larger rooms, while I have read the CLX really need a larger room. I have a smaller medium size listening area and these happen to position further towards the front wall, so my listening position is actually further from them than it would be with MLs, which I wanted and they don't dominate the room. Another nice thing about these is that they have a 92db sensitivity rating and only dip down to 3ohms, nominally 4 ohms, so I can have some fun playing with a wider variety of amplifiers. I listened to a wide variety of music on these and couldn't be happier with the sound. The dynamic range is incredible, too.

So are you driving these with the Jolida? I can see a Pass Labs amp in your future. Something along the lines of what George got - the XA 160 monos. 160 wpc of pure Class A power. That would certainly make those Wilsons sing a sweet song.

Traitor..........:devil: ......only kidding Steve, I knew after last years RMAF and your liking of the Wilson's that it was only a 'matter of time' !

They do look purty and hope they give your ears many years of audible satisfaction !!

Sweet! Back in 08, I auditioned the Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2 at Ne Plus in Austin Texas.

Casey's got some awesome Maxx 3's there now. He's using a dcs digital source and Grand Prix Audio analogue source for them. If you want to go listen, give me a call and I'll go with you.

So are you driving these with the Jolida? I can see a Pass Labs amp in your future. Something along the lines of what George got - the XA 160 monos. 160 wpc of pure Class A power. That would certainly make those Wilsons sing a sweet song.

Oh yeah! That would be great. Right now I'm using the Krell 400xi and it seems to be working wonderfully. I can't imagine what they'd sound like with pure Class A! ...but I'd sure like to find out.:devil:

Traitor..........:devil: ......only kidding Steve, I knew after last years RMAF and your liking of the Wilson's that it was only a 'matter of time' !

They do look purty and hope they give your ears many years of audible satisfaction !!

Thanks Dave. Yeah, it was Wilson or Hansen or mbl or German Physiks or von Schweikerts after last year's show. Casey, of ne plus ultra, in Austin carries the Wilson line. We go out together to listen to live music just about weekly and we share a lot of the same musical tastes. He made me an unbelievable deal on these that I just couldn't pass.

Congratulations

Steve,

Wow another who's changed from Martin Logan to Wilson. I did the same thing as you several years ago.You should be getting a similar soundstage and imaging that you had with your Aerius but more dynamics? Just curious to compare notes.:D

Vern

Have Casey find you a nice used CJ Premier 350. That's an amazing combination...

The cone dynamics are pretty tough to beat. I know I've been really enjoying my GamuT's....

Oh yeah! That would be great. Right now I'm using the Krell 400xi and it seems to be working wonderfully. I can't imagine what they'd sound like with pure Class A! ...but I'd sure like to find out.:devil:

Steve, I’ll be over with my class A monoblocks to listen to those puppys sing. Congrats on your new speakers!

Have Casey find you a nice used CJ Premier 350. That's an amazing combination...

The cone dynamics are pretty tough to beat. I know I've been really enjoying my GamuT's....

Jeff, those CJ's never seem to show up on Audiogon. I've only read a couple of reviews where something may have beat them, but whatever did cost a lot more. I'll be on the lookout for one, but it will be a while before I'm going to buy. I've eventually got to check out some Pass Labs and Audio Research amps, too. Though, I must say, I don't know what I'm missing with the Krell integrated, it sounds pretty good.

WOW Steve, I get a little too busy to post lately (lots of family stuff going on) and all of a sudden you're walkin' on the dark side. Just kidding of course, you and I both loved the sound of the Wilson Sasha's and the ARC gear last year at RMAF. I could see myself going down that path someday too. Last WATT/Puppies I heard was many moons ago, so I can't comment on how the 8's sound, but if it's close to the Sasha's I'm sure you're a happy camper. You'll probably be listening solid and re-discovering you're entire collection between now and this year's RMAF. Enjoy my friend!

Wow Steve, very nice indeed.
They look to be pushed into the corner quite a bit. Is that their final resting place (or close to it)? If so, that does give a little more room which is always a good thing.
Congratulations.
I read somewhere that it's impolite to invite oneself over to someone's place, so I never do that. I'm just saying :D

WOW Steve, I get a little too busy to post lately (lots of family stuff going on) and all of a sudden you're walkin' on the dark side. Just kidding of course, you and I both loved the sound of the Wilson Sasha's and the ARC gear last year at RMAF. I could see myself going down that path someday too. Last WATT/Puppies I heard was many moons ago, so I can't comment on how the 8's sound, but if it's close to the Sasha's I'm sure you're a happy camper. You'll probably be listening solid and re-discovering you're entire collection between now and this year's RMAF. Enjoy my friend!

Thanks Tim. I know the Sashas must be better, but I'm just discovering how good these are. There is so much positive about these that it may take a while to discover their weaknesses.:D

Wow Steve, very nice indeed.
They look to be pushed into the corner quite a bit. Is that their final resting place (or close to it)? If so, that does give a little more room which is always a good thing.
Congratulations.
I read somewhere that it's impolite to invite oneself over to someone's place, so I never do that. I'm just saying :D

That's their resting place for now. Casey spent quite a while positioning them. The process was very interesting, for sure. Give me a call when you want to come over.

Latest posts

Back