New member with Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredrik

Reaction score
Hello all,
Have been looking around this great site for a couple of months while I have been waiting for my spires to arrive. Finally got the spires this week and have been listening maybe 15 hours so far. This is my first set of electrostatic speakers. I use a Krell 400xi and a Vincent CD-S6 tube hybrid CD. The sound is great but i think a little bit on the thin side (the stators).
Do you know if this is normal for new logans and will the stators sound fuller after they are played in?
Fredrik

"New Member with Spires" must be the theme of the month!

Good to have you.

In my opinion, all of the Martin Logans can sound a little thin, but only when playing the wrong kind of music. Honestly, I've actually significantly changed my music listening habits since getting Logans; some of my music sounds about the same on my Logans as it does on my $400 computer speaker system, and some of it sounds 10x better on the Logans. What do I think doesn't sound particularly great on the Logans? Well, a lot of things... But mostly rock music with poor studio production.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Typically the woofer needs at least 200+ hrs for break-in, but the stators should be sounding optimal from day one. Your Krell integrated ought to have enough power to drive the stators, so I'm not sure why they sound "thin" to you. Perhaps it's really the bass that's lacking at this point? If so, that should improve over time. What speakers did you have previously? Also, how do you have the Spires positioned? Post a system pic if possible.

Hello and thanks for your input. First of all don't get me wrong, the Spires generally sounds really good:D

Feltran, I think your totally right... I listen to all kinds of music from Classic to Industrial (Nine Inch Nails, Skinny puppy, Nitzer Ebb etc) to Diana Krall to Pink Floyd to various Death/Black Metal.
I think music like NIN, Pink Floyd and Diana Krall sounds magical and is better then anything i have previously heard, provided i crank the volume up a bit. LO FI metal and some classic recordings on the other hand is almost making my ears bleed:eek: I guess i will have to listen to that kind of music on my old more forgiving system....

Sleepysurf, my previous system was B&W 600 series surround system, so this is a gigantic improvement from that, but i think the B&W's was more forgiving to bad recordings. Regarding placement i have placed the speakers like 70 cm from the back wall, tilted them in a bit. The room is a small dedicated listening room with some wall treatment and one listening chair in the sweetspot. Maybe the room 3X4,5 m is too small? I have another room with the dimensions 3,7X11 m with 4,5 m height.
spire.jpg

I have been testing diffrent CD-players today Vincent vs Cambridge 840 and the result is far better with the vincent. The Cambridge made the system sound a bit harsh on all kind of music.

Last edited:
they will break in. the panels and the woofer will get looser and that will help your mid's be sure you toe the toe in right with the flashlight trick. years of listening to cone's may cause you to feel this way I guess its like riding a bike your whole life with crooked handle bars Martin Logan just straightened them out for you it may take time time get used to it.

Well, your setup certainly looks good! I don't think that's the problem. I'd just give them a little more time.

Latest posts

Back