New member needs advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSWisla

Reaction score
Hello, I have been shopping around for some speakers. I have been looking for Polk SDAs and Dahlquist DQ-10s mainly (Kef 104/2 also), but I stumbled across some ML quests for a very nice price. Is there anything bad about these speakers that I should know about? Can I run them with my carver tfm-35? How do they compare to the above mentioned speakers? Thank you in advance.

Tom

Asking that question here you will obviously get some biased but true answers. the first two spekers you mentioned are not even in the same league with Martin Logan quests I am not familiar with the kef. The quests are a very fine speaker and I dont see a problem using your Carver with them. I would buy the ML's in a heartbeat and never look back.

My system: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=169

Thank you for the reply! I was under the impression that the dahlquists at the very least were very good speakers (though I thought that sdas were supposed to be very good also). The reason that I was asking about the amp is because I read some of the threads where people were using high current amps. Also, I read that the quests can go down to 2 ohms?! I will post some pics when I get my speakers then! I would appreciate any other comments, thank you.

Tom

I would say that your carver is a high current design that should mate with the ML's very well If I am correct the carver delivers 250@8 ohms while not doubling it delivers 350@4 and 800@2 ohms pretty respectable.

They are VERY OLD speakers.

They may be old, but they still portray a good deal of musical truth, especially if modded(xover parts,upgraded tweeter,etc). I own them and while falling short of the performance of my CLS'S, the differences aren't as great as one would think. If money is the object, the DQ10 can still be had for around $500 and are a good value if you like to tweak. They also benefit when mated to good ancillaries.

Welcome!

...I stumbled across some ML quests for a very nice price. Is there anything bad about these speakers that I should know about?

ML speakers have a nasty habbit of revealing the upstream weakness in your system, triggering the avalanche of endless component upgrades! Once bitten, you'll find yourself having ramen noodles for lunch and dinner since all of your budget are slated for the next upgrade! The correct name for that is...JOEY-ITIS! Consider yourself warned in advanced :D

Spike

Hey Tom,

I had a Carver TFM-35x powering my reQuests... You should be fine..

I like your taste in speakers.... Dahlquist DQ-10s and KEF 104/2 are both wonderful... The DQ-10's are MASSIVE, however and would most likely need more power than the Carver could provide.

Good luck.

Tom.

Thank you everyone, the dq-10s would require more power than these MLs? Wow! I am going to pick up my speakers this saturday, I can't wait! So, I will be happier with the MLs than with the Kefs?

Last edited:
I can make a Quest sing with a few mods I already did on a pair I sold to get CLS. They are a musical speaker with great mod potential.

I just got back from indy with my Quests!!! :rocker: I hooked them up and while listening to "No Expectations", a song that I know like the back of my hand, I heard the slide like I never heard it before, breathtaking! Thank you for the advice! I am officially a member of the club!:music:

Latest posts

Back