New member introduction, looking for the right amp.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.L

Reaction score
Hello everyone, really happy to be here. Just got used EM ESL's (and I am thrilled) about 5 days ago. Ever since, I've been looking for a amplifier. I live in Germany so luckily the used market has a lot to offer. Only problem is, I'm a super noob. I've read that these speakers need an Amp that offers a high current output. The Amp I've been considering is a Hegel H 160 since I believe the H95 (Next best thing studio, Jay) said paired well with Magnepan's which to my understanding also thrive on high current. I know a little about electronics, not a lot though, however I get why this is the case. Where at the end of the speaker cables is a huge resistor. So I thought the Hegel would pair well according to reviewers who went deeper into the specs of the H160 and other Hegel models. The set up will be in a room that's about 50 sq meters(164sq ft). Taking into account that the H160 is rated at Power output : 150 w/pc into 8 Ohms, 250 w/pc into 4 Ohms. Could I go for something with less watts in the Hegel range? Don't get me wrong, I'm not exclusively looking to buy Hegel, just that I've found some good offerings. My first pick at the moment would be a Bryston 4b, or 3b. Which I am confident will pair well. That, I experienced first hand from the fine gentleman I bought the speakers off at the rehearsal. However, Hegel or any other descent high current Integrated Amp is the preferred way to go at the moment due to less components and money. Priority is to get the best out of the ESL's on my budget of about 2000€. For you here with experience, I need your help. Thanks in advance looking forward to figuring it out. Have a great Sunday.

Hi

Not sure what the Bryston distribution/support netowork is like there, but I've never had a bad experience with them - whether 25 years old, or only 10 (they come with a 20 year warranty). Great support (in US/Canada), and a great match for the MLs I've had (SL-3's and Aerius i's.

Don't know the hegels, but you would be fine with the Bryston 3B ST, 4B ST (probably overkill), or if you can find them, the Bryston PowerPacs (125W or 250W, tho' once again, the 250's are probably overkill).

You can maybe find a better deal on the re-badged Brystons under the "Lexicon NT" labelled amplifiers - the NT 212 or NT 225.
Viel Glück with the hunt!

Russ

Hi

Not sure what the Bryston distribution/support netowork is like there, but I've never had a bad experience with them - whether 25 years old, or only 10 (they come with a 20 year warranty). Great support (in US/Canada), and a great match for the MLs I've had (SL-3's and Aerius i's.

Don't know the hegels, but you would be fine with the Bryston 3B ST, 4B ST (probably overkill), or if you can find them, the Bryston PowerPacs (125W or 250W, tho' once again, the 250's are probably overkill).

You can maybe find a better deal on the re-badged Brystons under the "Lexicon NT" labelled amplifiers - the NT 212 or NT 225.
Viel Glück with the hunt!

Russ
Good to know I don't have to go Overkill. I was wondering about the Lexicon amplifiers. On some of the Lexicon adds, I saw "just like Bryston". Thanks a lot. A great help to have somewhere to begin. I must admit, I'm enjoying the hunt part of all this. Cheers

EM ESL is quite easy to drive, most of mid priced modern integrated amp will be more than enough. I have Micromega M100 and it drove EM ESL and Clarity very well. I'm sure Hegel will be a good amp for the EM ESL.

I have a pair of Summits and recently changed amps. I auditioned a Hegel H20 for a month. I found it to be more forward and it had a harsh upper midrange. Made some of my recordings unlistenable. I ended up with a NAD M22 which was much smoother and with more bass extension. This is my 2nd class D amp. The first being a TacT Millenium. They work well with the ESL’s.

Hola Peter,

I am a tubed flavour sound quality. Try any integrated with tubes, starting with EL-34s at the output stage. Then you can go further with 6550s and much better the KT-120. You can find the right price with tubes for your needs and they will make to sing beautiful your ESls.

Happy listening!

A Byston-4B-SST is certainly NOT overkill, and i've found is the perfect match for my SL3's. They can utilize all the dynamics that amp can deliver...... plus i'm ready for whatever other speakers come into my room. I'm sure a 3B would be fine for all daily listening, but I know I'd hit the clip limits when when having some fun with my system. With the 4B, I simply don't have to worry.

A Byston-4B-SST is certainly NOT overkill, and i've found is the perfect match for my SL3's. They can utilize all the dynamics that amp can deliver...... plus i'm ready for whatever other speakers come into my room. I'm sure a 3B would be fine for all daily listening, but I know I'd hit the clip limits when when having some fun with my system. With the 4B, I simply don't have to worry.
Right, I see. I like it loud too once in a while, so big is better. Plus I wouldn't want the amp to struggling too much in these situations (party). So the 4b, which I've heard them play with, sounded fantastic together. Funny how such an ugly thing can sing a melody to bring someone to tears.

Hola Peter,

I am a tubed flavour sound quality. Try any integrated with tubes, starting with EL-34s at the output stage. Then you can go further with 6550s and much better the KT-120. You can find the right price with tubes for your needs and they will make to sing beautiful your ESls.

Happy listening!
Yeah its enticing to say the least. I have to find a way to try that. But in the future, due to Covid restrictions in Germany at the moment. I was about to try out a Unison Research S8. And the lockdown was a day too early for me to hear it. Bummed out about that. So a tube integrated or I guess a tube pre amp. Thanks a lot for your time.

Happy listening!
Hola

I just joined MLO today :) but have owned EM ESL for several years. My experience with matching those speakers to an amplifier has been that they are (relatively) easy to drive and mate well with many, many amplifiers. Although, some combinations are better than others.
In my home, the ESL's have been in the Home Theatre system and the 2 channel system. An amp that was pretty good, Anthem MRX 520 (HT system). Amps that were better, a pair of solid state Don Morrison 70w Class A mono's (2ch system) and my current set up, a tube push pull kit based on EL 34 tubes- Elekit TU-8340 (Gold Lion KT-77 tubes and ZERO Autoformers).
The Hegel and Unison Research you mentioned are very fine amplifiers, you would not go wrong with either!

The Elekit, I was wondering about that! I've heard quite a bit about those tubes you've mentioned, good things that is. But I have no idea really. I'd love to go with a tube set up, but like I said, no clue really. I thought, better start simple and add tubes "definitely" in the future! That S8 sounded just too good! So on to the rest, the Hegel you said should pair well; I found a H 160 for a great price. So I've decided to go for that. Thanks for your help, it's great to get advice from the experienced. And thanks to everyone else here, you've all been a great help. Much appreciated.

The Elekit, I was wondering about that! I've heard quite a bit about those tubes you've mentioned, good things that is. But I have no idea really. I'd love to go with a tube set up, but like I said, no clue really. I thought, better start simple and add tubes "definitely" in the future! That S8 sounded just too good! So on to the rest, the Hegel you said should pair well; I found a H 160 for a great price. So I've decided to go for that. Thanks for your help, it's great to get advice from the experienced. And thanks to everyone else here, you've all been a great help. Much appreciated.
No problem... The Hegel is a solid choice. You have made a wise decision based on solid logic. Getting into some of the exotic equipment too quickly and without personal experience, could lead to an expensive mistake or two.
Feed your speakers lots of music, trust your gut (and ears) and Enjoy the Ride!!!

You would do yourself a favor to review the Sanders Sound website. They make amps specifically made for ESL speakers like yours. I have Summits and I use the Sanders Magtech amp but the ESL amps are a solid choice as well. The Magtech amp has a regulated power supply which sets it apart as an amp that was made for the low impedence loads ML speakers represent. It's 500wpc into 8 ohms and 900 into 4 ohms, so it has all the power you would ever reasonably need. The best part is that you never have to worry about the highs sagging when you turn it up...highs are the first thing that suffers when an amp not designed for low impedence operation is turned up. The regulated power supply allows you to turn it up as loud as you want without having to worry about what it is doing to your amp.

You would do yourself a favor to review the Sanders Sound website. They make amps specifically made for ESL speakers like yours. I have Summits and I use the Sanders Magtech amp but the ESL amps are a solid choice as well. The Magtech amp has a regulated power supply which sets it apart as an amp that was made for the low impedence loads ML speakers represent. It's 500wpc into 8 ohms and 900 into 4 ohms, so it has all the power you would ever reasonably need. The best part is that you never have to worry about the highs sagging when you turn it up...highs are the first thing that suffers when an amp not designed for low impedence operation is turned up. The regulated power supply allows you to turn it up as loud as you want without having to worry about what it is doing to your amp.
Sanders Sound Systems - ESL Mark II Amplifier

The price on that is lower than I thought it would be too. Seems like a good value!

I've always wondered about the Sanders amps. I know they're great for ESLs, but how are they on regular cone speakers?? I have 3 different pairs of speakers that I rotate in & out of my main system, and wondering what's the overall sound signature of the Sanders? (if any)

No problem... The Hegel is a solid choice. You have made a wise decision based on solid logic. Getting into some of the exotic equipment too quickly and without personal experience, could lead to an expensive mistake or two.
Feed your speakers lots of music, trust your gut (and ears) and Enjoy the Ride!!!
Seems to have paired
So you were right. I got a Hegel H160 in great shape. It's rated at 150w into 8Ohms. The damping factor is apparently high, so they say. And it seems to have paired well. I'm new to hi fi since my job has been based around PA equipment. One thing I noticed is it got the whole family dancing effortlessly. Really happy with the set up. I never imagined two components and nothing else, could perform at this level. Thanks a lot for your advice and seconding the Hegel. I'm loving it! Cheers.

Sanders Sound Systems - ESL Mark II Amplifier

The price on that is lower than I thought it would be too. Seems like a good value!
I read a bit about it through the amp section here. I was actually on the hunt for a used one since the comments where really positive. However it wasn't easy to come by here in Germany. Compared to other Amps I mean. So I bought the Hegel H160 used for 1500euros about $1800US. It's 2 years old in great condition and paired well with the ESL's. I'm extremely satisfied with the Sound. The hunting part was fun. So I get why a lot of people swap out gear. Which I see myself, hopefully I can eventually try out a Sanders Sound System in the future. Thanks for your insights and time.

I've always wondered about the Sanders amps. I know they're great for ESLs, but how are they on regular cone speakers?? I have 3 different pairs of speakers that I rotate in & out of my main system, and wondering what's the overall sound signature of the Sanders? (if any)
It'll drive anything with aplomb. I have a pair of Ohm Walsh 4's as well as B&W 802D's - I can say for once, I'm truly happy that I've found an amp that I can live with and not consider switching out.

Hi Russ,
The distributor markup on Bryston pricing is atrocious outside of North America. Customers also have to deal with their local distributor for service which can suck because they don't always have the latest information (more of an issue for their digital products) and super fast service you would get when dealing directly with the factory (I am fortunate to live within driving distance).

Anyway looks like our German friend @Peter.L bought a locally produced amp and is happy. I know I would be.
Cheers,
Stefan

Latest posts

Back