New Matinee Center in the House. Wow and Woot!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webinattor

Reaction score
Wow, wow wow. I only had 3 hrs of time with it last night, but wow. Huge difference in my setup. Massive wall of sound now. Made my whole system just open up with a such a huge soundstage. I was not expecting such a marked difference.

While my logans have a kind of laid back sound, the center I had been using for the last 12 years must have been much more forward, just messing with the sound stage for movies. This new setup is markedly open, spacious and just wow. Really nice to hear the same tonal quality all across the front. It was interesting to hear great depth and clarity in the "x" area between the center speaker and each left and right ML. Plus, the visual appeal is wonderful. First time I had seen the thing in person was when I took it out of the box. I read it takes some time to break in...but I am really happy/giddy with the setup. Looking forward to tweeking it and calibrating it over the holiday!

Super woot! Did I say wow?

Photo.
center800.jpg

Is this for movies only?

Are you listening to music in some sort of surround sound audio?

If you have a larger full room photo of your whole set up it may be more telling.

Glad you are happy with your purchase.

I was listening to an ending song in a movie (Robert Redford's "The Castle"), sounded great on my little M&K's but the center speaker is a dual driver Yamaha and the voice after a while started to sound boxy. A M/L center (or a quality M&K) would be nice at times.

It is pretty much for movies. Do watch plenty of movies on a projector. This is the media room, without the ML center channel. It shows the one I replaced it with. I do listen to music sometimes with the preamp set to 5 channel stereo.

erc1b.jpg

Well thanks guys. You like pictures, it looks like! I like my room very much. Most of my christmas vacation has been a movie marathon.

I'm running an Atlantic Technology P2000 preamp and an Emotiva LPA-1 amplifier. The thing with the little white buttons on top is an x10 lighting controller for dimming the lights behind my speakers via Phillips Pronto remote. (As well as the lights on my christmas trees at the moment.)

;)

Last edited:
That amp is my first fore into separates and I have liked it alot. It runs 7 speakers...my 5.1 system plus two Klipsch inwalls in the dining room and office.

Until I added the ML center channel, it never even got warm. Now, it is getting warm after a full day of high volume operation. Sound is still fine tho. Overall, I think it is a nice balance of form and function at a great price.

thanks for the feedback. how do you like it for 2 channel music? would you call it a musical amp? or is it a stronger amp in the theater application?

im considering one of their amps for 2 channel use, so any other comments are welcome.

Tough question for me to answer. I run HT most of the time. Very little in the way of straight two channel listening anymore. Plus, I installed the amp as well as the preamp at the same time, to cut down on harshness I was getting out of a Yammie receiver I had at the time. So, between the two, I was pretty happy.

I say, try it and if you don't like it, return it. They have a good reputation in that regard. Sorry I can't be more helpful regarding your question.

Jeeze Web, what kind of camera and lighting are you using? Nice photography! Great looking set up too... Satch

Jeeze Web, what kind of camera and lighting are you using? Nice photography! Great looking set up too... Satch
yes very nice shots, i think the diffused light behind your logans is perfect lighting. and thanks for your thoughts on the amp, i saw it and had to ask.

I used a Fuji Finepix semi-pro camera and available light w/slow shutter speed. No extra lighting.

I agree that lights behind the ML's really makes the speaker more interesting and highlights one of their unique features...(the see-through) aspect.

Back