New Home Theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
I’m designing a dedicated home theater for a house we’re getting ready to build. The media room will be 21-1/2’ x 24’. You can look at my sig to see the electronics I’ll be using. However, I plan to augment my speaker mix by adding a pair of CLXs and relegating my Ascents to rear surrounds duty as well as adding 1 to 3 more Descents. My question is should I replace my Fresco’s with a pair of Stage’s? Has anyone every used them in that capacity?

Congrats on the new home and having the $$$$ for the CLXs.

A thought on using your Ascents for surrounds -- IMHO would be considerable overkill. I ended up redeploying mine to a separate system. As it is, my Aeons are well beyond sufficient, and oh-so-sweet at their job...

Just a thought -- and to each their own, of course.

Again my sincere congrats!

Hello Dennis,

What would you use the (2) Satges for, rear sorrounds? Or a center? If a center why 2 of them?

Hello Dennis,

What would you use the (2) Satges for, rear sorrounds? Or a center? If a center why 2 of them?

The two stages would be for the rear surrounds. They would replace my fresco's.

Congrats on the new home and having the $$$$ for the CLXs.

A thought on using your Ascents for surrounds -- IMHO would be considerable overkill. I ended up redeploying mine to a separate system. As it is, my Aeons are well beyond sufficient, and oh-so-sweet at their job...

Just a thought -- and to each their own, of course.

Again my sincere congrats!

Well I'm a ways yet from getting CLXs but using the Ascents I'm not so sure is over kill. With BD I think there is more content there and with multi-channel SACDs having quality speakers I think is a real plus. However, it turns out to be over kill swapping them out for another pair of fresco's would be easy enough. :D

I use my Ascent's as the rear pair in my 7.1 system as well with Prodigy up front. I have (and recommend) Script for the rear surround role in a 7.1 system and frankly they would be fine for the rear pair even too... You could have 4 (2 pair) of Scripts w/ the CLX and a Stage up front and really be good to go! Would save some space too by putting the Scripts up on the wall and not having that big Ascent foot print...

Good luck, what are you doing for the picture part of the equation?

Dennis,

I would look to track down a set of used scripts for sorrounds. I don't doubt the stages will work but I think the sound will be too focused.

Last edited:
Dennis,

I agree find a pair (of scripts for the rear surrounds). I like mine and agree with you on the mid surrounds, with BL lots more sound comes out now especially high intensity sound effects when things go bang. Keep the Ascents for there.

I would not use a stage as a surround speaker, in fact I have more than once contemplated using a script or two as the center in place of my stage.

if you can not find the Scripts then pick up a pair of Sources.

I use my Ascent's as the rear pair in my 7.1 system as well with Prodigy up front. I have (and recommend) Script for the rear surround role in a 7.1 system and frankly they would be fine for the rear pair even too... You could have 4 (2 pair) of Scripts w/ the CLX and a Stage up front and really be good to go! Would save some space too by putting the Scripts up on the wall and not having that big Ascent foot print...

Good luck, what are you doing for the picture part of the equation?

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to use current production speakers but I'll keep my out for a pair of scripts. Can they be mounted horizontally?

As far as picture I haven't started investigating that aspect yet. I'll keep my current dlp; however, I also plan to have a front projector too. That's as far as I've gotten on that aspect. Of course, I'm always willing to hear suggestions. :D

if you can not find the Scripts then pick up a pair of Sources.

Good idea but I need something that can be mounted on the wall for the rears. You'd think with 24' I'd have plenty of room, but when I start laying it out that's just not the case.

When cosidering Projectors be sure to audition the Sony VPL VW200 "Saphire" and the RS2. These are pound for pound, feature for feature, dollar for dollar value right up at the top. Matched with a 120 inch Vutec SS or Dalite Hi-power screen, it matches the intensity of your ML surround system.

When cosidering Projectors be sure to audition the Sony VPL VW200 "Saphire" and the RS2. These are pound for pound, feature for feature, dollar for dollar value right up at the top. Matched with a 120 inch Vutec SS or Dalite Hi-power screen, it matches the intensity of your ML surround system.

Thanks, I'll keep them in mind to audition. Thanks! :D

As far as picture I haven't started investigating that aspect yet. I'll keep my current dlp; however, I also plan to have a front projector too. That's as far as I've gotten on that aspect. Of course, I'm always willing to hear suggestions. :D

I strongly recommend the Pioneer Elite Signature series of displays. Arguably the best flat panels on the market, bar none.

Dennis,

I agree find a pair (of scripts for the rear surrounds). I like mine and agree with you on the mid surrounds, with BL lots more sound comes out now especially high intensity sound effects when things go bang. Keep the Ascents for there.

Pardon my ignorance, what is "BL?" (I presume "BD" stands for Blue-Ray Disc?)

Thanks!

I strongly recommend the Pioneer Elite Signature series of displays. Arguably the best flat panels on the market, bar none.

No argument there I fully concur; however, for the theater I'm looking to add a more movie-like feeling by going with a projector on a 10' screen. When my Samsung DLP craps out then I'll likely replace it with a Pioneer. Hopefully I won't need to be doing that anytime soon!

No argument there I fully concur; however, for the theater I'm looking to add a more movie-like feeling by going with a projector on a 10' screen. When my Samsung DLP craps out then I'll likely replace it with a Pioneer. Hopefully I won't need to be doing that anytime soon!

Gotcha. A projector and screen isn't in my foreseeable future, so I haven't done any research into those products. A new FP display will hopefully appear here sooner rather than later, so I've been keeping myself up to date with those technologies/products.

You can also get a set of Stylos which were like the Scripts before the Scripts. Then for not much money you can get replacement panels and or replacement woofers and For less than 500 bukcs you could have brand new Stylos. That's if you can't find Scripts, the Stylos is just another option.

Latest posts

Back