Need some help....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STDCMR19

Reaction score
I need some advice. I am looking at getting a 5-channel power amp for my speakers. I have around $1300 to spend on one. I can get a brand new Anthem MCA50 for around that price. Does anybody have any experience with this piece? I am also open to any other options and used is ok. If I have to spend a little more that would be an option if it was really worth it.

I will be running:
2---Vistas(fronts)
1----Stage (center)
2----Sources (rears)

My use is probably 75% home theater.

Also, I will be using (for now) a Denon AVR-2807 as my processor. I plan to upgrade at a later date.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I am looking at getting a 5-channel power amp for my speakers. I have around $1300 to spend on one. I can get a brand new Anthem MCA50 for around that price. Does anybody have any experience with this piece?

I highly recommend that you consider a different amplifier. Or, if you do go for the Anthem, be sure that you demo it with the Vistas and compare it to other amplifiers before you purchase it.

I demoed one of the Anthem amplifiers (I think it was the MCA 20) vs. the Sunfire Stereo amplifier on a pair of Vantages, using an Anthem preamp. The Sunfire had incredibly tight, solid bass; whereas the Anthem had loose, wooly bass. The only thing that changed was the amplifier, and the difference was night and day. I was not impressed with the sound from the Anthem.

Now this may have been an issue with the way the Anthem signal is read by the internal woofer amp in the Vantages. The Vista may not exhibit this problem since it doesn't have its own internal amplifier. As for other choices, I highly recommend the Sunfire line and, for quality budget multichannel gear, it is hard to beat Outlaw Audio.

Thank you both for your comments! I have heard that about the Anthem also. I also forgot to mention that I do have a Descent i subwoofer also. Since my main focus will be home theater do you think the sub can make up for the shortcomings of that amp? Thanks in advance for your input.

Thank you both for your comments! I have heard that about the Anthem also. I also forgot to mention that I do have a Descent i subwoofer also. Since my main focus will be home theater do you think the sub can make up for the shortcomings of that amp? Thanks in advance for your input.

If you can, see if the dealer (assuming you are going to a local store for the Anthem) will let you demo the floor model at home. For example if they can let you borrow the amp on saturday night and then return it sunday morning, that would be ideal. If you are going to drop $1300 for that amp, it's only fair.

That said, it is hard to go wrong with sunfire. Many members here love that line of amps and few have any bad comments about those amps in general.

Back