Need help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Corvas

I inherited 2 very early-version ML speakers, manufactured in the mid 80's, but without the power units; i.e. I have the perforated steel/mylar membrane in a wood frame, but just wires coming out of the bottom of each. No power.

I called ML's service line, and was told the power units needed for these are not available. The power units used in today's speakers are not suitable for my antiques.

These units are 24" wide, 48' tall, and in mint condition. I hate the idea of tossing them into the junk heap, for two reasons: 1- they are "vintage" ML, and, 2- I live in Lawrence, KS, the home of Martin-Logan.

Does anybody have an idea on how I can power these? If so, please email your suggestions to [email protected].

Attachments

• speakerjpeg.jpg
    speakerjpeg.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 89
  • closeuppigtailjpeg.jpg
    closeuppigtailjpeg.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Corvas said:
I inherited 2 very early-version ML speakers, manufactured in the mid 80's, but without the power units; i.e. I have the perforated steel/mylar membrane in a wood frame, but just wires coming out of the bottom of each. No power.

I called ML's service line, and was told the power units needed for these are not available. The power units used in today's speakers are not suitable for my antiques.

These units are 24" wide, 48' tall, and in mint condition....
you probably have a pair of old CLS panels. an excellent speaker. unfortunately, the transformers are no longer made for these panels.

ML should be able to tell you which type of CLS you have and then your best bet is to either sell the panels by themselves (yes, there are people who look for these) or to look for a pair of electronics from ebay or audiogon, or electronics with wonky panels.

unfortunately either choice (selling or buying electronics) depends on your panels being good, and you really can't test them without electronics...

Thanks for the input. The guy I talked to at ML basically said to give up. He was no help at all. If I knew the specs for the electonics that came with these speakers originally, I could at least go hunting for replacements. Ebay has several hundred transformers right now, but I have no idea what I need for these panels.

Corvas said:
Thanks for the input. The guy I talked to at ML basically said to give up. He was no help at all. If I knew the specs for the electonics that came with these speakers originally, I could at least go hunting for replacements. Ebay has several hundred transformers right now, but I have no idea what I need for these panels.

Hi,
The electronics for the CLS consist of 2 sections. The first is the high voltage section, to provide the bias for the electrostatic membrane. The second is the step-up transformer (the later model CLS actually had two of these). This steps up the low voltage audio signal the stereo amp outputs to the high voltage drive signal that the electrostats require. This is also combined with an equalization network, so the speaker has a flat frequency response.

While you *could* build your own similar units, it would be MUCH easier to get a used set of CLS's with bad panels, and swap the electronics boxes over to your set.

Peter

Corvas said:

Why don't you post pictures of what you have on here? There are people on here who could identify them on sight and tell you exactly what you need for them. Just so that you know, I am not one of those people but they are on here, trust me on that! ;)

here's a picture

Good idea. Thanks.

Attachments

• closeuppigtailjpeg.jpg
    closeuppigtailjpeg.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 104
  • speakerjpeg.jpg
    speakerjpeg.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 95
This looks look a either a very early CLS prototype or a Monolith III. I would contact Jim Power at Martin Logan. He is the service manager and can definately tell you what these are and tell you if there is a possibility to bring these back to life. His email is [email protected] or you can call him at 785.749.0133.

Let us know what happens :D

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

Back