Need a good high quality UPS for my Sony 70XBR2, any suggestions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rampage60,

The 780 watts the unit has is impressive, but it uses a Stepped Sinewave instead of the preferred True Sinewave. Other than that it looks like a great deal at $149.

Seth

Last edited:
For my DVR, I just bought a TrippLite at Costco for $99. It's a 1000VA (roughly 500 watts), has AVR, surge suppression, and has a blue backlit electroluminescent display that shows the current status and the input voltage, which lets you visibly see how much sag your line voltage has.

Mine is an OMNI1000LCD, which doesn't show up on their website, so it may be a discontinued model. The closest to it that they still show is the OMNI900LCD Here. It's physically fairly small, and the black color fits well with my A/V components. The display module is designed to pry out so you can lay the thing sideways and reinsert the module so that it shows upright.

I have a larger APC unit for controlling my computers upstairs, so I like them too, but they are typically PC beige.

Last edited:
I have the APC H15 in silver. It is their home theater series. :D I use it on most of my stuff and I have some Monster smaller ones which plug in to it. I was really disappointed with the Monsters.

Jeff:cool:

I have the APC H15 in silver. It is their home theater series. :D I use it on most of my stuff and I have some Monster smaller ones which plug in to it. I was really disappointed with the Monsters.

Jeff,
What is the size and cost of that H15? I need something that with stuff plugged into it is not more than 6.5" high... I am going to hide it under the box that the TV will sit on...a RGPC Pole Pig and 400MkII will be in there as well, so smaller UPS would be better!

From what I was reading online about the H15, It's a power conditioner that offers voltage regulation, surge protection, and noise filtering. It's a very nice unit and it looks like an A/V component, which is nice :) If it had a UPS as well, I would have jumped on getting this one. But for a really good power conditioner, this one looks like a steal for $399.

Seth

I have a larger APC unit for controlling my computers upstairs, so I like them too, but they are typically PC beige.

What's cool is that this APC is all black :) I'm glad it is , this way It's not going to stand out like a sore thumb ;)

moreimages.cfm

James,
STV posted the link. Mine is actually in silver not black. You can see it in my pics. When I bought mine they only had silver. I got it when it first came out and got a screaming deal on it through Buy.com. Of course now it is more expensive. I only paid $220 plus tax & shipping and I think it was a mistake cause it jumped a $100 or so in a couple months after!

BTW, APC is "OEMi-ng" their H10 & H15 to Rotel and of course theyl have repackaged it and selling it for even more money!

STV, as far as a UPS, are you referring to battery backup? I opted not to get one with it for a few reasons. Where I live it is rare that we have thunderstorms even though it is the desert, so this was not an issue as it is in Florida and other states. :eek: My logic was besides being a $100 more in price, physically heavier and the fact the battery should be changed every couple of years. In reality the batteries only last about 20 minutes when the power goes out so if I am not at home it is of no value. Yes there is a serial interface like they have with the ones designed for computers but my system is not connected to a computer. If we were to have a storm and I was home I could shut it off. Being 45 minutes away from home when I am at work, the battery option is of no redeeming value to me.

I found it to be a better value than the equivalent Monster but that is my opinion and we all know about opinions and body parts. :D

Just try to get a true sine wave ups. Step wave, square wave, or modified step wave can do damage to electronic equipment as these waves can put large spikes on the load equipment. Most APC units are step wave. Just check the specs and make sure it says true sine wave.

Thanks Cherian, That's the first thing I made sure about :) The one I'm getting does indeed use a True Sine Wave.

Thanks again for your most helpful input ;)

Seth

Latest posts

Back