Need a good high quality UPS for my Sony 70XBR2, any suggestions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
While I am enjoying my Sony 70XBR2 very much, I often fear that some power outage is going to wreck havoc on the TV's lamp :eek: . When the TV is turned off normally the fan stays on for a good 3 minutes to give sufficient time for the lamp to cool off. But in the event of a power outage the TV will just go off with no power feeding the fan, which in turn will significantly shorten the lamp life.

So I really need to invest in a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). I know that there are many available for home computers, but many of these just weren't designed for home theater use. I know that APC and Monster Power both make UPS products for A/V use, what are your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Seth

How did you catalog your DVD's? I want to do that with my CD's.

I have not done this yet, but I have my 400 disc progressive scan DVD juke box and I will program discreet IR signal codes for each so that when I bring the titles up on the Pronto remote all I have to do is press the button for that movie and voila' it will start!

As for UPS, I look forward to what others say. I have been looking for the same thing. I figure 300W should be enough to get it at least mostly cooled down and there are several from APC and Belkin for under $60 by each of those manufacturers. I will be plugging my UPS into a Richard Gray's Power Company 400 mk II.

Cherian's the one I trust for these things... he's the resident go-to guy with regards to UPS and stuff. Let's wait until he makes his way into this thread.

Joey

I would look at a OneAC or Powervar UPS. These two makes will give you some good power conditioning as well. Just make sure it a true sine-wave ups. Most of the low end UPS will put out a step wave on batteries. This is very bad for electronics. Find out how many watts you need to support and for how long. Also be advised that most UPSs use a fan inside so 40 to 45 db of audible noise from the UPS is common so you might want to locate it out of sight.

Oh, when you size the UPS make sure you size it in watts and not VA.

I have an APC J15, for the sole purpose of keeping my processors setup from being scrambled during the frequent outages we see around here. The fan is quite noisy when its on battery, but its not an issue since we cant use our system during an outage. I also keep the digital cable box on it since cable reboots take FOREVER.

T-

I'm using DVD Profiler from Intervocative.com. It's a fantastic software program that makes cataloging ones DVD's,HD DVD's, or Blu-ray's a breeze. I couldn't recommend this product any higher. It's great! Unfortunately they don't offer anything (at least not yet) for cataloging CD's. I wish they would because I really need it. A CD Profiler would be most welcome. I know that there are programs out there for CD's but I don't what they are.

As for UPS, I look forward to what others say. I have been looking for the same thing. I figure 300W should be enough to get it at least mostly cooled down and there are several from APC and Belkin for under $60 by each of those manufacturers. I will be plugging my UPS into a Richard Gray's Power Company 400 mk II.

Yes 300 watts should work just fine as the TV uses 285 watts. I have heard really good things about APC, and some of their models are sine wave. And from reading other posts here, there are a few more great choices as well.

Cherian's the one I trust for these things... he's the resident go-to guy with regards to UPS and stuff. Let's wait until he makes his way into this thread.

Joey

Thanks Joey for telling me to listen to Cherian :) He Knows what he's talking about ;)

I would look at a OneAC or Powervar UPS. These two makes will give you some good power conditioning as well. Just make sure it a true sine-wave ups. Most of the low end UPS will put out a step wave on batteries. This is very bad for electronics. Find out how many watts you need to support and for how long. Also be advised that most UPSs use a fan inside so 40 to 45 db of audible noise from the UPS is common so you might want to locate it out of sight.

Oh, when you size the UPS make sure you size it in watts and not VA.

Thanks Cherian for the most helpful info :) I really appreciate your input. I checked out both ONEAC and Powervar online and either one offers units that will work quite nicely. I'm not sure which way I'm going just yet, but It's good to know what things I should look for in a UPS.

I have an APC J15, for the sole purpose of keeping my processors setup from being scrambled during the frequent outages we see around here. The fan is quite noisy when its on battery, but its not an issue since we cant use our system during an outage. I also keep the digital cable box on it since cable reboots take FOREVER.

T-

It's interesting that you mention the J15, as that's one that I was looking into. It looks like a well built unit. What's a good price to pay for one?

I paid somewheres around $525 from an authorized dealer. In our case it is being used to back up our source components; our projector is not connected to it.

T-

I'm using DVD Profiler from Intervocative.com. It's a fantastic software program that makes cataloging ones DVD's,HD DVD's, or Blu-ray's a breeze. I couldn't recommend this product any higher. It's great! Unfortunately they don't offer anything (at least not yet) for cataloging CD's. I wish they would because I really need it. A CD Profiler would be most welcome. I know that there are programs out there for CD's but I don't what they are.

Take a look at this:

http://www.audiophiler.com/

I will find more with time...

I paid somewheres around $525 from an authorized dealer. In our case it is being used to back up our source components; our projector is not connected to it.

T-

Thanks :) Wow $525 is a pretty good price. Does the J15 use a sine or stepped waveform?

Too cool!! I like the layout of Audiophiler. It looks easy enough to use and uses Gracenote CDDB for getting album info. Kinda looks like a CD equivalent of DVD Profiler. I think I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing :)

Seth

Let us or at least me know how it works out.

Let us or at least me know how it works out.

Well I'm trying out Audiophiler for the one month trial, and so far I really like it :) It's easy to use does pretty much everything that I need it to do. The only thing that I wish, is that you could show what you own online like DVD Profiler. Maybe they will offer that at some point. But for just keeping track of what you've got, Audiophiler works great!

Seth

Well after much research and asking lots of questions, I finally decided on a UPS for my Sony 70XBR2. I'm getting an APC Smart UPS SUA750. It has a 500 watt battery backup (which will be more than enough for just keeping the fan going for 3 minutes), and has voltage regulation and surge protection. It's uses a true Sine Wave also, so that's icing on the cake :)

For everything it does, It's a heck of a deal for $279!

Seth

This is the one to get!

eb89247b-aa92-43f5-b215-7a8f21ee3927.gif

APC Back-UPS XS 1200 UPS, 1200VA, 780watts

Back