My ML Vantage :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngvithor

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to send pictures of my setup with my new ML vantage speakers and since I have already showed them to my friends I feel the need to share my happiness with the rest of the world :) hehe , But while I do that I wanted to ask you guys if you can comment on my room. I feel like I have too boomy bass with the speakers, I have set them to -10 at the crossover settings to try to minimize the bass I am getting because it it´s just too much. What would you guys who have alot more experience then me to fix this problem ?

I should also note that this is my system :
Martin Logan Vantage
Primaluna Prolouge II
Azure 840c CD player and DAC
Pro-Ject Experience with BluePoint no2 cartridge
Duet Squeezebox ( music server )

Attachments

• _MG_6794.jpg
    _MG_6794.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,842
  • _MG_6793.jpg
    _MG_6793.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • _MG_6788.jpg
    _MG_6788.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited:
Hi Yngvithor, welcome and congratulations!

That is a very nice looking room, great taste. I have to say I always admired Scandinavian furniture and decor, so much so, my house is full of it ;)

I think I can predict why you have some bass issues. I assume from looking at the pictures that you sit on the couch directly in front of the speakers and with your head about 30 to 50 cm from the rear wall, correct?

If so, that explains much of the bass boost you feel, as being that close to a room boundary, there are pressure peaks (and valleys) created. That’s not the smoothest bass either.

There are two fixes:

• Sit further out in the room, at least 1.5 m from the wall behind you
  • Treat the wall behind you with a really good bass absorber
Also, I’d recommend pulling the Vantages out from the front wall another 20 to 30 cm. Make the front of the vantage even with the front of your equipment credenza.

You might also want to experiment with a bit more toe in so as to minimize the reflections from the front wall coming back through the speaker.

In general, the room is acoustically very live (bare floors, stucco walls, lots of glass one of the walls), therefore any room treatments you can fit in would improve the imaging, frequency response and resonances induced by the room.

Bottom line, the bass issue is placement and room related, with fixes involving a bit of placement and a lot of treatment to adequately fix.

Another simple way to address some (not all) of the bass issues is to use a room corrector system like a TacT, Audyssey (Denon / Marantz) or even the Squeeze box convolution plug-in,(this last one is very geeky).
By EQ’ing out the room bass modes at the listening position, you experience will be much improved.

fNice room! You definately need to get your vantages moved further out from the wall behind them.They need the room to work their best , it is the general consensus on this site to have them approimately 5 ft from the wall to the stator panel. Mine are at that postion. I would try that out.I think you will be surprised at the change.

Cheers

Last edited:
Looking at your picture, it's clear that they can't give a really true representation of your music room.

In the first, I tought it was a huge desk standing between the Vantage.

Then I saw it was a nice piece of furniture.

You remind me that I have to move mine another cm (0.5 inch).

It's not visually perceptible for my wife.

:music:

** update **

thanks for you kind reply´s !

You guys must be professionals at this, your kind comments about the room almost made my wife ( who decors ) forgive me for buying these expensive speakers :) Althou I was only asking for comments about the room adjustments hehe.

But as you can see below I was playing with the setup all today and I have corrected the boomy problem, now my bass and overall speakers performance is a totally different thing. I get clean and tight bass with no boomy sound at all. I just love the sound coming from the speakers. You can see how to problem was on my edited picture. Somehow the bass from the right speaker was bouncing off the sofa, wall and the furniture between the speakers creating a whirlpool of bass in that corner.

Now I just need to light up some candles and have a romantic night with my wife and convince her that our living room is looking good like this :) and that we don´t need that couch that used to be there this morning. Any tips guys ? hehehe

Attachments

• _MG_6788OLD.jpg
    _MG_6788OLD.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 829
  • _MG_6796NEWD.jpg
    _MG_6796NEWD.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 965
Glad to hear your bass problem is gone. I still suggest to move your speakers farther away from the wall if your significant other will let you. They are really too close to the wall.

X2 to Moon's recommendation.

With all due respect, you are nowhere close to maximizing performance assuming that's what you and your wife want.

Some minor suggestions.

As others have suggested, pull those speakers out from the wall and, as a minimum, have your wife pick out a nice area rug that you can place between your listening chair and the speakers.

And if you haven't done this yet, install the spikes and isolate your speakers from floor induced vibrations. I use the BDR pits. There are many other options.

Adjust the panel rake angle to as close to perpendicular as possible without compromising floor / speaker rigidity.

Buy some larger plants that you can place on the shelves on the right wall of your room. This will help break up some of the glass reflectivity.

And finally, as Jonathan suggested, get some absorbtion on the back wall. There are companies that make custom panels that are quite "artsy" and attractive.

All of these things are relatively easy to do and will have a huge impact on the sound without compromising the aesthetics of your room, which is quite stunning by the way.

Good luck.

GG

Last edited:
That is very nice looking room and great with or without the other sofa. However, the soft padding and covering used to construct a sofa typically makes it a good bass trap absorbing some of the bass reflections. Maybe relocating the sofa will improve the sonics.

In addition to moving the speakers away from the wall you might try also moving the seating positions away from the wall as the room and decor allows.

Buy some larger plants that you can place on the shelves on the right wall of your room. This will help break up some of the glass reflectivity.
GG, you forgot to mention Marigo Dots ! :devil: ....sorry, couldn't help myself :eek:

Very nice set up! And more kudos on the amazing interior design. :bowdown: I'm thinking I need to find a wife from Iceland lol.

Back