My ML sound like *#$%

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
holmancv,
I would also say welcome.

I would not feel at all like you have a sub-standard system. You have a very good system and as Dan said it is a matter of taste. If you like it that is all that matters! :D

I think there may be some clarification needed here. You need to understand that particularly with ML's older speakers you needed power and specifically current to drive them. The newer ML's were designed and manufactured to be able to be driven by more modest systems. They have also ventured, "dare I say- downward in the audio chain" to offer more affordable products. Now that I opened that door, you need to comprehend it does not mean by any stretch of the imagination poorer quality just manufacturing products that appeal to a wider audience. They need to grow and make money like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Denon makes fine products so do not think they are inferior because they are not. I believe the comments about Denon are justified as to their ability to provide adequate current levels to the larger ML's.

With all devices there are some trade offs and for Denon or for that matter any company making similar products, there are. To build a receiver, surround processor (HT) receiver which provides a great amount of current would be expensive and no doubt extremely heavy. I would estimate something along these lines would weigh 75 to 100 pounds and cost upwards of $5000.00 USD.

My suggestion as I am sure others will tell you is "trust your ears". Go slow on any upgrades you have in mind, ask a lot of questions, demo in your home when possible, and just enjoy your equipment because ultimately this is why you bought it was to enjoy music and HT.

Good Luck and again welcome

Jeff :cool:

Like MarkNewbie, after reading this thread I decided to have some fun too. I connected my old 2 channel Denon to my ML Odyssey and man, it sounded so terrible that after 2 minutes I disconnected them. To be honest it was not a fair trial since the Denon only puts out 105w but the Odyssey asks for 250w. The Denon is doing a great job with other speakers around the house like NHTs and PSBs.

/Transpa.

The 5 and 4 series Denons are built like brick houses but I do believe that they may not be the optimal platform for MLs (can't say for sure because I have never had these receivers). What I will say is that not only must you be thinking of the amplification but also the thousands of other things that make up your sound. When making such a major change you must re-position the speakers (and we all know how important that is). Sitting position must be taken into acount as well. Sources too. Lastly, one of the most important things to take into account is the setup in the receiver itself. Even though we are all pretty much experts when it comes to equipment setup, it is easy to make mistakes and not even know it. I know this because I lived with one for, oh, about six months before figuring it out.

Anyways, glad the Sunfire worked out for you.

High altitude and humidity could affect the ML performance. In the higher altitude, atmospheric pressure is higher. Even our eardrums can feel it. It would take more effort for the electrostatic mylars to 'push' air particles at higher altitude. Maybe a higher powered amp would help?
Same is true with high humidity areas, where air particles are generally 'denser'. However this may be helped with air-cons operating in dry-mode.

Electrostats are generally more finicky as I have found out. My VTL 225 Mono's (tapped at 6 ohms) could not drive Aerius i satisfactorily due to its sub 2 ohms impedance dip, but my McCormack DNA 0.5 (100W@8ohms, 200W@4ohms, 300W@2ohms) did just fine...

Just an opinion.....but as Roberto said, its how you hear it....

Andre said:
High altitude and humidity could affect the ML performance. In the higher altitude, atmospheric pressure is higher. Even our eardrums can feel it. It would take more effort for the electrostatic mylars to 'push' air particles at higher altitude. Maybe a higher powered amp would help?
Same is true with high humidity areas, where air particles are generally 'denser'. However this may be helped with air-cons operating in dry-mode.

A long time since I've posted here, but I thought I'd better reply to this one!!

Firstly, as altitude increases, atmospheric pressure drops by roughly 1mb every 30 feet (I'm in Europe so we use mb, not Inches of Mercury!) After 3000 - 5000 feet, the rate of reduction starts to decrease. So, high altitude will give you a reduced pressure, not an increased pressure.

Secondly, the pressure on each side of the panel will always be equal, no matter what altitude the speaker is at, therefore the net effect of atmospheric pressure on the panel will be . . . . precisely zero!!

Cheers,

David

Back