My 13As

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cahuck

Reaction score
With NAD M33

Attachments

• 4A45D1A1-87FC-46F1-A26C-871AD8A8B0FA.jpeg
    4A45D1A1-87FC-46F1-A26C-871AD8A8B0FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
I have to admit, as much as I love the look of the 13As my eye quickly went to your lizard (is that a gila monster?), which caused a small chuckle. Then I roamed to the leeetle teeeeeeny tiiiiiiiny speakers flanking your tv, and I laughed out loud.

Tell us the story about those! Are they backed by McIntosh tube monoblocks?

Edited to add: welcome to the forums!

Lol. My little friend was acquired over 20 years ago in Bali.

There are actually three different speaker systems going in that photo. The Bose LS 650 system was there before I got the Martin Logan‘s. I’m still trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the C 34 center speaker.

I have an Apple TV going into the television and then optical out to the NAD M33 and hdmi out to the LS650. It is strangely a pretty good system. Not quite as good as the Sonos arc with fives that I have downstairs. (Great for movies!)

Then the two square in wall Bose speakers are tied into a whole house system. Over 20 years old off an old Bose Lifestyle Acoustimass that is still pretty decent as well! I use a Sonos Port there. Can’t listen critically but it’s still enjoyable for background music.

Get the C34. You *want* the C34. You probably even *need* it.

It’s simply astounding, and shocking how well it works with the flanking MLs to put up a wall of sound.

But ttocs is correct. You’ll need to change your layout a bit…

Last edited:
Get the C34. You *want* the C34. You probably even *need* it.

It’s simply astounding, and shocking how well it works with the flanking MLs to put up a wall of sound.

But ttocs is correct. You’ll need to change your layout a bit…

I have been selling Porsches since 1997. First in San Diego for 18 years and now in Melbourne Florida. My avatar is my 1997 cabriolet that I just sold on BAT two weeks ago. Still have a Porsche Taycan and looking forward to electric 718 in a few years.

The real dilemma with a C 34 is how to power it. I love the M 33. Sadly it has no home theater pass through. I doubt I will be happy with the 778 for stereo listening. Any suggestions? And how much space should be behind the C 34? ML recommends minimum 8 inches to the 13 A’s and I am very happy with that placement. Speakers are on sliders so it has been easy to play with placement.

I did not have the “Phantom Center channel” with the cheap optical cable I had been using. But a little better quality $20 cable and now I do. I do know that I WANT the C34 if I can figure out how to power it appropriately!
I am using Transparent Plus cables on the speakers. I was really surprised how big a difference they made!

I have been selling Porsches since 1997. First in San Diego for 18 years and now in Melbourne Florida. My avatar is my 1997 cabriolet that I just sold on BAT two weeks ago. Still have a Porsche Taycan and looking forward to electric 718 in a few years.

The real dilemma with a C 34 is how to power it. I love the M 33. Sadly it has no home theater pass through. I doubt I will be happy with the 778 for stereo listening. Any suggestions? And how much space should be behind the C 34? ML recommends minimum 8 inches to the 13 A’s and I am very happy with that placement. Speakers are on sliders so it has been easy to play with placement.

I did not have the “Phantom Center channel” with the cheap optical cable I had been using. But a little better quality $20 cable and now I do. I do know that I WANT the C34 if I can figure out how to power it appropriately!
I am using Transparent Plus cables on the speakers. I was really surprised how big a difference they made!
How do you like the Taycan? Seems like a great car. I'm surprised they haven't come out with an all electric SUV. Audi has one. Now that I'm older, I'm ready to buy my first SUV. Right now the Mustang Mach E GT seems to be something I'll consider.

I love the Taycan. Feels like I’m driving a 911 but a little more practical. Comfort and handling are both fantastic! Mine is in Mamba Green so like a 911 it is also very happy looking when you see it

The electric SUV in the family is the Audi E Tron. Feels big and heavy but it’s very nice. My next car will be the electric 718 in 2024-2025

Attachments

• C1BB1094-E9EB-4E45-8C55-DD73A2705C8D.jpeg
    C1BB1094-E9EB-4E45-8C55-DD73A2705C8D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
I love the Taycan. Feels like I’m driving a 911 but a little more practical. Comfort and handling are both fantastic! Mine is in Mamba Green so like a 911 it is also very happy looking when you see it

The electric SUV in the family is the Audi E Tron. Feels big and heavy but it’s very nice. My next car will be the electric 718 in 2024-2025
I wasnt even aware that they would make an all electric Cayman/Boxster. I figured they would also not make an electric 911, but with countries passing laws that will ban gas burning cars from being produced by around 2035, I guess its going to happen eventually. Im going to hang onto my turbo.

Very nice. Presumably the Apple TV would only stream at CD-quality rather than hi-res?
It is able to stream higher bit rate songs, cant remember how high it goes. Not like SACD, but higher than normal. The apple music service has the files and I used it for that. I think my Sonos sounds better though, so I dont use the Apple anylonger for music. The Apple is able to stream dolby atmos music though, which is kinda cool. Ive got an atmos setup so it sounds neat.

Very nice. Presumably the Apple TV would only stream at CD-quality rather than hi-res?
I am very happy with the Apple TV 4K for movies, musical shows, YouTube concerts & videos… Might not be quite as good as high def Tidal streaming directly through my M33 but 13As still sound great!

I wasnt even aware that they would make an all electric Cayman/Boxster. I figured they would also not make an electric 911, but with countries passing laws that will ban gas burning cars from being produced by around 2035, I guess its going to happen eventually. Im going to hang onto my turbo.
There are no plans to do an electric 911 anytime soon. that will stay gasoline. Macan is next to go electric in 2023. 718s in 24 or 25

Think theres anything I can do to keep the M33 and add the C34 to my system?
I'm not smart enough to know ho to add a center channel to a great two channel rig. I don't think there is a way to distribute signal to monoblock driving the center channel. I think you'd have to have a processor to split the feed. Someone else may know of a simpler less expensive solution.

Think theres anything I can do to keep the M33 and add the C34 to my system?
To go beyond 2ch, you would need to sell/trade the M33 and upgrade to an M17v2 M17 V2 - NAD Electronics

Then pair that with an M28 (which retains the same amp modules found in the M33) M28 - NAD Electronics to power the LCR plus 4 surrounds.

So pretty big upgrade, not the least due to now needing to obtain a center and two or four surrounds, deploy them, then, perform appropriate room treatments for a surround setup. Multichannel with ESL is extremely demanding WRT room treatments.

Latest posts

Back